Ford to idle Wayne plant

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off topic, but does anyone from this area find THIS description on the map anywhere near as funny as I do?: "City of Wayne, Michigan offers this spectacular Downtown experience with small shops, large shops, night clubs, public library and all in the setting of an enchanted New England feeling. So much to do, so little time."

Couldn't be ANY further from the truth :hysterical:

I edited the page to reflect the plants name change.

I would just like to know where are all the local taverns that everyone says, all the employees always go to on their breaks. Can you please show that on the map, so I won't be so confused?

I would just like to know where are all the local taverns that everyone says, all the employees always go to on their breaks. Can you please show that on the map, so I won't be so confused?

Here's one. U.S. 223. Been awhile since I was in there. Great food, and the wait staff is good looking.

http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=42.2819444&a...2'53%22W%20

I edited the page to reflect the plants name change.

Thanks a lot for posting, biker, and for the correction Pioneer.

OK, for the readers....

In the photo, go over to the Wayne Assembly Plant. If you look south of the plant, you will see the RR tracks. The big building on the other side is the stamping plant and body shop, and the large connector is an enclosed conveyor that brings the bodies over to the north side of the tracks to WAP for paint and final assembly. This facility is the part of WAP that Ford has indicated will remain a stamping facility and will also build subassemblies (but not complete bodies). If I understand the plan correctly, then there will have to be new connections made to feed MAP by conveyor to bring the subs across ($$).

I'm not familiar with the layout of MTP. Can anyone tell me what's made on the south side and shipped across through the conveyor? Subs? Pioneer/biker any idea? It looks to me like they could potentially connect through this building and make use of the existing conveyor.

I think everyone can also see how tough it is to go from a brownfield site rather than a greenfield site out in the middle of, say, Indiana. There's no room to put a supplier park, and the logistics get wound up with a lot more street traffic, and you have to work around inconvenient things like RR tracks.

On the other hand, Ford has 2 plants to play with, just like at Oakville/OTP. That means 2 paint shops and plenty of room to play with the overall layout to ensure maximum flexibility with potential for future expansion if required. Everything I have seen lately tells me that Ford has finally learned its lesson on flexibility, so I expect a good result and variety of high-quality products we can all be proud of.

the building south of MTP is the flex body shop that was built only several years ago for the expedition and navigator.

Oh, I see. I thought it might be.

So, the present WAP stamping and body shop will continue to stamp and fabricate some subs. The metal and subs will be sent a short distance to the MTP flex body shop also on the south side of the tracks. Then the completed bodies will follow the path of the Expy/Nav bodies through the conveyor over the tracks into MTP proper for paint, trim, and final. And the combined facilities are now MAP.

IIRC, MTP also has a fairly new paint shop.

So, all in all, not a bad arrangement. Certainly not as efficient as a new greenfield, but not bad. And should offer a lot of room for flexibility.