MKZ To Carry Higher Price Tag

ANTAUS

The problem I have with the Zephyr is the difference between it and a fully loaded Fusion just isn't worth the price difference. Load the Zephyr with options that distinguish it (Nav., Air Cooled Seats) and the price jumps into the new 2007 Lexus ES350 range. Of the two cars, I think most people will choose the Lexus.

The problem with your line of thought, currently the Zephyr starts at 29K and tops out at $34Kish with all the options sans any discounts/rebates. Taking a look at KBB shows that the ES350 STARTS at 34K WITHOUT a Nav system or anything that the Zephyr comes with. Even if the MkZ rises in price and they make AWD standard on it, it will still be a couple grand cheaper then the ES350.

You and I know the MkZ and Fusion are related as are the ES350 and the Camry are. But to your jo-blow consumer, they don't know better for the most part. Personally I think you'd be stupid for buying a ES350 when you can get a Camry with the same options for cheaper, yet people still buy the Lexus. Its about the image that the car portrays, not what it is underneath to most people.

I think most people are/where downright surprised by how successful the Zephyr has been, since it was pretty much beat up by everyone in on this DG, including myself. I'm seriously considering one possibility as my next car.

The problem I have with the Zephyr is the difference between it and a fully loaded Fusion just isn't worth the price difference. Load the Zephyr with options that distinguish it (Nav., Air Cooled Seats) and the price jumps into the new 2007 Lexus ES350 range. Of the two cars, I think most people will choose the Lexus.

Other than public perception, is there any reason a Lincoln MKZ based on a Ford Fusion with luxury options isn't worth the same money as a Lexus ES based on a Toyota Camry?

Other than public perception, is there any reason a Lincoln MKZ based on a Ford Fusion with luxury options isn't worth the same money as a Lexus ES based on a Toyota Camry?

I don't even think the "public perception" at this point is that it's based on the Fusion. Most consumers likely don't know any better. The sales seem to indicate that sharing platforms with the Fusion hasn't hurt it at all.

3. Yet another AT gear selector without positions for all the available gears. Decidedly not "sporty."

Greetings - No intent to start a p1ssing match, as I respect your knowledge and opinions as observed on this board, but wouldn't notches for 6 forward speeds, plus P-R-N, be unwieldly?

Best regards - Steve

"The problem I have with the Zephyr is the difference between it and a fully loaded Fusion just isn't worth the price difference. Load the Zephyr with options that distinguish it (Nav., Air Cooled Seats) and the price jumps into the new 2007 Lexus ES350 range. Of the two cars, I think most people will choose the Lexus."

(Sorry, I haven't figured out yet how to paste a prior posting in the box)

...but I disagree with the "most people will choose the Lexus" part of this statement. There seems to be a group of mostly teenagers and wannabe preppies that think Lexus is the pinnacle of automobiledom, but most of the people I know fall into 1 of 2 categories:

1) If you just have to have a toyota but want something nicer, buy a Lexus

2) If you REALLY want a Mercedes or BMW but can't afford it, a Lexus will work

Those who like toyotas will buy the Lexus, those who like Fords will buy the Lincoln. Those who Like GM or Honda won't buy either.