Review: 2010 Ford Mustang GT - A full week changes attitudes

Thanks. I just got back a few days ago.

I would love to get my 2011MY in spring as well. However, I consider that scenario highly unlikely. There are still quite a few wrinkles to iron out in the new drivetrains. Yes, the 5.0 is rock solid, as is the D35, but we must remember that the trans, driveshaft, and SRA are all new (on both models) as well. Significant suspension revisions are required on both V6 and GT models as well. I think engineers already have their hands full trying to make these changes a reality in time for fall production, let alone spring. But who knows, in these unstable times nothing is really set in stone.

Where 'ya been?

Ford is no longer making pushrod engines for production vehicles. The Vulcan and Essex are dead and Ford will probably never make another cam-in-block production engine again.

The Boss has certain similarities to the 427 SOHC (the cam is nestled in the head between the valves and the block has 6 bolt mains), and the Coyote is basically the Mod V8 version 2.0.

Hey Richard, I'm well aware that Ford has'nt made pushrod engines in some time. I'm just asking if there was an official word on the Coyote or the Boss engines being pushrod or sohc like the current one, cause people on here as well as some magazines have posed the same question? :reading:

There is a Picture somewhere on the internet of a Coyote prototype in the bay of a truck. I think it maybe pickup.com. It looks like a DOHC set up that reminds me of AUDI based on the intake manifold. As for the Boss, I don't know if it's called a Boss or Hurricane but the set up looks like a SOHC based on the size of the head which looks pretty wide. That's all I know.

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2009/01/spied...rying-wolf.html

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2010-ford-f...raptor/1135071/

Edited by Hugh

There is a Picture somewhere on the internet of a Coyote prototype in the bay of a truck. I think it maybe pickup.com. It looks like a DOHC set up that reminds me of AUDI based on the intake manifold. As for the Boss, I don't know if it's called a Boss or Hurricane but the set up looks like a SOHC based on the size of the head which looks pretty wide. That's all I know.

5.0L "Coyote" in a Mustang:

coyoteV8-jan09-priddy1.jpg

Hey Richard, I'm well aware that Ford has'nt made pushrod engines in some time. I'm just asking if there was an official word on the Coyote or the Boss engines being pushrod or sohc like the current one, cause people on here as well as some magazines have posed the same question? :reading:

You won't have anything official from Ford.. The Coyote & Boss are OHC; any speculation otherwise was just that. Speculation.

Hey guys,

This is a little off topic but seeing as we're talking about new Ford engines,

have a look at these two pictures - the new F Truck 6.2 Boss and the F150 Raptor.

There seems to be two different engine set ups, look the right bank and notice

the Boss looks to have cam phaser plugs(?) and the Raptor is blanked.

Boss62large.jpg

Raptor62large.jpg

Edited by jpd80

Hey guys,

have a look at these two pictures - the new F Truck 6.2 Boss and the F150 Raptor.

Boss62large.jpg

Raptor62large.jpg

Good eyes! I never noticed that.

Hey guys,

Boss62large.jpg

Raptor62large.jpg

I'm willing to admit I don't know everything. I see what you're saying in the pics. Explain yourself... :shades:

I'm willing to admit I don't know everything. I see what you're saying in the pics. Explain yourself... :shades:

OK, now have a look at the front right bank in the 5.0 V8 engine,

you'll see one above each cam - I assume they're for the VCT phasers.

They make sense on the DOHC but not's sure why you'd have two in a row like the Boss 6.2

(I wonder if it means the SOHC has VCT and VVT?)

Ford-Coyote_02_issue_110_Original.jpg

Edited by jpd80

Hey guys,

I see that, but I also wonder if, in the second pic, the engine wasn't fully dressed: It's got a blank plate over the "BOSS" stamped into the intake, and I'm curious if that's an incomplete prototype build.

Hey guys,

Boss62large.jpg

Raptor62large.jpg

Oil control valves for cylinder deactivation. Both pictures show the OCV for the VCT phaser adjacent to the oil filler cap.