Surviving layoffs.

CourtJester

These are a couple of websites that have good information on how to save some bucks until this crunch is over.We are planting a garden and saving money by not going on vacation. We don't go out to eat, which is healthier and cheaper.

I'm interested in finding out how you all are cutting back.

http://www.frugalsimplicity.com/

http://beingfrugal.net/2008/04/03/frugal-t...ve-a-recession/

http://www.cheapcooking.com/

These are a couple of websites that have good information on how to save some bucks until this crunch is over.We are planting a garden and saving money by not going on vacation. We don't go out to eat, which is healthier and cheaper.

Those are good links, thanks for the info! We are doing pretty much the same, eating out less, skipping vacations and just watching our spending. You should always ask your self before making a purchase if it is a want or a need and skip the wants as much as you can. It is amazing how much you can save just by analyzing your spending and keeping a close eye on your bank account balance and activities. If you do a lot of online banking you might want to check out www.mint.com. This is a award winning website that groups all of your online accounts in one place so you can see all of your financial activity on one website. We can go there, log on and view our checking, savings, TESPHE (a little depressing...) etc. I find that by doing this daily and keeping a conscious knowledge of where I stand financially it influences my daily purchases and keeps things in check. Good luck to all!

The question is what are you going to do with all the stuff that you grow and cant eat before it goes bad? My answer is to do what we have been doing for years now CAN it and save for winter. Make your own can goods, I have made my own Jellies, Corn, Green beans, even spaghetti sauce, I even grow my own cabbage to make saurkraut. I kill my own beef, hog, deer, rabbit, fish, turtle. I have 2 freezers full of meat that I processed all winter long, plus all my own veggies that I did all summer long. When we go to the store all we buy is sugar, flour, coffee,tea bread if we dont already make it ourselves, all the stuff we cant grow ourselve basically. I know this seems redneck, or backwoods but you'd be amazed how little we spend at the grocery plus. This food is always better for you and YOU know where it came from and whats in it.

The question is what are you going to do with all the stuff that you grow and cant eat before it goes bad? My answer is to do what we have been doing for years now CAN it and save for winter. Make your own can goods, I have made my own Jellies, Corn, Green beans, even spaghetti sauce, I even grow my own cabbage to make saurkraut. I kill my own beef, hog, deer, rabbit, fish, turtle. I have 2 freezers full of meat that I processed all winter long, plus all my own veggies that I did all summer long. When we go to the store all we buy is sugar, flour, coffee,tea bread if we dont already make it ourselves, all the stuff we cant grow ourselve basically. I know this seems redneck, or backwoods but you'd be amazed how little we spend at the grocery plus. This food is always better for you and YOU know where it came from and whats in it.

That is very wise. That is how we survived when I was a kid. We never really wanted for anything. Obama has a different philosophy. He believes that if you don't have much, you should borrow and spend more. I think that it is a recipe for disaster for the whole country.

I can my veggies and make my own tomato sauces for spaghetti, pizza, etc. It doesn't seem redneck for your ideas, I really like what you do. I think I'll start making my own jelly again.

The Farmers City Market in Kansas City has fresh produce every weekend from May to October, I think. It's good stuff. My yard isn't very big, so I use the market to get extra produce to can.

Your post rocks, thank you!

I read somewhere that there is a bill before Congress that would make it illegal to process your own food without the "proper" government inspection. They want to make sure that nobody escapes the coming hard times.

I read that somewhere as well. However, congress can bite me because the Obama's just planted a garden in the White House.

It helps me to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel and that Ford hasn't cut off the electricity. :shades: I found these articles and thought I'd share- there is hope. We will make it, this recessionis tough, it sucks and we will ALL make it. Trust me, our household income went down at least by 50 thousand dollars this year, I project. I'm telling everyone I work with to keep a positive attitude. It is hard, I admit.

Some encouraging news:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/Politics/st...6984&page=1

Monday's market surge was triggered by Geithner's unveiling of a plan to use as much as $1 trillion in public and private funds to buy toxic assets from banks, freeing the banks to resume lending.

A resurgence in lending may not happen immediately. Officials said it would take four to eight weeks to get the program under way.

"It is going to take quite some time for them to navigate all of this toxic stuff off the balance sheets off the banks," said John Bussey, Washington bureau chief of The Wall Street Journal.

Investment giant BlackRock, however, is downright enthusiastic about the new program.

The investment management firm has applied to become one of the government-selected managers and is willing to raise $5 billion or so of private money to partner with taxpayer dollars, Curtis Arledge, co-head of Blackrock's U.S. Fixed Income Portfolio Management Group, told ABC News.

"We think many of these assets are trading at prices well below their intrinsic value," Arledge said.

http://money.cnn.com/2009/03/25/news/econo...sion=2009032504

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The U.S. economy has a good chance of starting to recover in 2010, but the rest of this year is going to be tough, according to a report released Wednesday.

The UCLA Anderson School of Management's quarterly economic forecast calls for real gross domestic product to decline 6.8% in the first quarter of 2009, 4.5% in the second quarter, and another 1.7% in the third quarter.

But in 2010, the report predicts an average quarterly growth of 2.7% and an average of 4.1% in 2011.

I can my veggies and make my own tomato sauces for spaghetti, pizza, etc. It doesn't seem redneck for your ideas, I really like what you do. I think I'll start making my own jelly again.

The Farmers City Market in Kansas City has fresh produce every weekend from May to October, I think. It's good stuff. My yard isn't very big, so I use the market to get extra produce to can.

Your post rocks, thank you!

Thankyou for your compliment. to tell you the truth my garden is only 14 ft wide and 25 ft long but you should see how much i can get out of that. i also half to go to farmers markets and other growers to get as much as i need too. but they are still way cheaper than going to the grocery.

Edited by jt150

You can go to page 3 and read the post "Government Control". This is the bill that wants to control growing and canning food.

Yeah I read and respond to your post about govt control and i'll say it again " they can kiss my ASS". considering I give some food to all my nieghbors i dont think they'll turn me in LOL

Damn it, I wish i liked vegetables.... Guess I'm screwed?

LOL

All I can say is that there are many "extras" that can be cut out of daily use that can save you thousands of bucks.

Losing my cell phones and cable alone would save me close to 200 bucks a month, I also do not need 2 brand new cars for my family, having one brand new reliable car and one beater would save me an additional 400 bucks a month, right there alone is 600 bucks a month total, almost a weeks net pay.

You guys are the ones messing up the economy. You need to keep spending money. Don't you have any credit cards. j/k Try checking out some of the tightwad gazettes books at the library. It has some crazy ideas for saving money in there. Also Americas Cheapest Family is a good one. Even ideas for cheap vacations.

You guys are the ones messing up the economy. You need to keep spending money. Don't you have any credit cards. j/k Try checking out some of the tightwad gazettes books at the library. It has some crazy ideas for saving money in there. Also Americas Cheapest Family is a good one. Even ideas for cheap vacations.

huh what a novel idea NO BILLS at least No credit cards or car payments no grocery bill every week just normal utilities and a house payment which are no problem. thats right debt free except for the house ha ha ha ha ha ha ha all the way to the bank every friday. live like no other now so i can REALLY LIVE LIKE NO OTHER LATER and if thats messing with the economy then thats right I"M GUILTY and I'll be glad to keep doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by jt150

I'm not buying a new car

huh what a novel idea NO BILLS at least No credit cards or car payments no grocery bill every week just normal utilities and a house payment which are no problem. thats right debt free except for the house ha ha ha ha ha ha ha all the way to the bank every friday. live like no other now so i can REALLY LIVE LIKE NO OTHER LATER and if thats messing with the economy then thats right I"M GUILTY and I'll be glad to keep doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like someone else listens to Dave. It's hard to believe the amount of debt people have.

Sounds like someone else listens to Dave. It's hard to believe the amount of debt people have.

HELL YES I LISTEN TO DAVE. The thing is His plan really truely does work and once you finally get everything paid off you really do feel different. there is NO MORE burden like an enormous weight has been lifted off your shoulders. Like he says even the grass feels different under your feet. If I lose my job tomorrow I'm not worried one bit. i can just get a job flipping burgers or delivering pizzas to pay my utility bills and house payment. I'M NOT TAKING PART OF THIS DEPRESSION!!!!!!!

I go to work everyday and just look at the people I work with me and you can see the difference between the people who are in debt up to thier eyeballs and who isn't. Its not funny honestly its pretty sad those people are just plowing through all the worry and hassle of being laid off. They really do look fearful of whats to come. I wish I could help them but I can't and that part of it kills me. All I can do is show them how i did it. I have a brother in-law who is way past bankrupt and just keeps doing all the wrong stuff getting in deeper and deeper and there is nothing I or anybody else can do to help him. I'm just waiting for his call to me loan him money. SAD very SAD.

Edited by jt150

I also live by the cash or nothing rule. I'm not sure if they have the great meat sales down in the city but up north here we have ten pound sales about every six months. I go and spend a couple hundred and package it up. I have two upright freezers and keep them well stocked. I know it sounds hick but when times are tough my family will eat. I grow my own and can my ass off in summer and reap the benefits in the winter. The old ways are the best ways. I also have family members who live beyond their means and helping them is not all that hard for me. And by the way a bread maker is a great investment. Buy your supplies at GFS or Sam's club and you will be paying pennies on the dollar for a loaf of hot fresh bread. You can also stretch your food dollars using less to feed more. I have fed 16 people on a pot of soup made with just 8 chicken legs and no one felt deprived of meat. Times are tough and we all might need to tighten the belts but we will survive. Being in the auto indrustry has made us tough and hearty people. We give concessions and keep on trucking. The commercials call it Army strong, let's call it Auto strong. :shades:

HELL YES I LISTEN TO DAVE. The thing is His plan really truely does work and once you finally get everything paid off you really do feel different. there is NO MORE burden like an enormous weight has been lifted off your shoulders. Like he says even the grass feels different under your feet. If I lose my job tomorrow I'm not worried one bit. i can just get a job flipping burgers or delivering pizzas to pay my utility bills and house payment. I'M NOT TAKING PART OF THIS DEPRESSION!!!!!!!

I go to work everyday and just look at the people I work with me and you can see the difference between the people who are in debt up to thier eyeballs and who isn't. Its not funny honestly its pretty sad those people are just plowing through all the worry and hassle of being laid off. They really do look fearful of whats to come. I wish I could help them but I can't and that part of it kills me. All I can do is show them how i did it. I have a brother in-law who is way past bankrupt and just keeps doing all the wrong stuff getting in deeper and deeper and there is nothing I or anybody else can do to help him. I'm just waiting for his call to me loan him money. SAD very SAD.

OK who's Dave

I also live by the cash or nothing rule. I'm not sure if they have the great meat sales down in the city but up north here we have ten pound sales about every six months. I go and spend a couple hundred and package it up. I have two upright freezers and keep them well stocked. I know it sounds hick but when times are tough my family will eat. I grow my own and can my ass off in summer and reap the benefits in the winter. The old ways are the best ways. I also have family members who live beyond their means and helping them is not all that hard for me. And by the way a bread maker is a great investment. Buy your supplies at GFS or Sam's club and you will be paying pennies on the dollar for a loaf of hot fresh bread. You can also stretch your food dollars using less to feed more. I have fed 16 people on a pot of soup made with just 8 chicken legs and no one felt deprived of meat. Times are tough and we all might need to tighten the belts but we will survive. Being in the auto indrustry has made us tough and hearty people. We give concessions and keep on trucking. The commercials call it Army strong, let's call it Auto strong. :shades:

I couldn't agree more, Esp. the new nickname. We are tough, hearty, resilient, we have to be. I do all that you listed and then some. I also have 2 very well stocked freezers and a basement full of home canned stuff. Any family that comes over never leaves empty handed. I'll never have enough $$$ saved but I am enjoying the hell out of this and I'm eatin like a king.