Ford Plans Two Sub-F-150 Pickups

Before you say "old news", this article was dated March 24, 2009.

Ford is working on two new, smaller-than-F-150 pickup trucks, one based on the F-Series and the other a replacement for the aged Ranger compact, which has remained unchanged save for facelifts since the 1998 model year.

The smaller F-150 is codenamed P525 and may be badged F-100, the name of the F-150's predecessor from the 1950s. At one point, P525 and the Ranger replacement were competing proposals, but with growing need for higher-fuel-mileage trucks, both projects will become reality in 2010 or 2011. The P525 won't be offered with V-8 power, but instead will come with four-cylinder and V-6 EcoBoost (gas direct injection and turbocharging) options, the engines' fuel economy and torque optimized for interim Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards expected to kick in for the 2011 model year......

.......The 2010-2011 calendar years will be busy for Ford Motor Company, which partially explains why the automaker sold off Aston Martin and Jaguar/Land Rover for product-development cash. That's the same time frame as the launch of the next-generation Fusion and the converged C-segment car (Focus). As for the F-150, it could converge with the heavy-duty versions. Its product cycle should revert back to six-plus years from the current five. The upcoming F-150, meanwhile, will also get a version of the EcoBoost V-6, probably by 2010, to increase Ford's truck CAFE number.

Before you say "old news", this article was dated March 24, 2009.

Sounds like F-100 is one of those on again, off again projects if this is true. So now there may be Ranger, F-100, F-150, F-250+/Super Duty. Definitely a full lineup, though. I dunno if Ford would merge F-150 with Super Duty....I think it's a bit too established to do that now, unless they'll just be doing it in name...the F-150 Super Duty.....even then, it doesn't sound right, plus it doesn't go along with the separate body styles, unless they too would be merged.

Edited by rmc523

I think this is and old article because if you read closely

The Ranger replacement, codenamed T6, is being developed by Ford Australia and was originally intended only for world markets other than the U.S. That Dearborn is reconsidering the plan suggests the company thinks high gas prices are coming back to stay Because the current Ranger's Twin Cities plant will be closed in 2009

It was announced late last year that Twin Cities will stay open until 2011 and it might happen since in the last 9 months a lot of projects that where reported halted where still on track like the 6.2 so this trucks might come too

It was announced late last year that Twin Cities will stay open until 2011 and it might happen since in the last 9 months a lot of projects that where reported halted where still on track like the 6.2 so this trucks might come too

Good catch.

You bring up a good point.

I was basing that date on this link.

Edited by RangerM

a number of commercial users (municipal fleets, small construction outfits) are asking for an F100.

Take the F150. Make it available as regular and supercab only. put on a lighter frame, axles, smaller brakes with 16# rims etc etc so that a good 1000# is shaved (closer to what the truck weighed in 87)

V6 and base V8 only. Manual 4x4 hubs

Highest trim is XLT

it would be very popular

a number of commercial users (municipal fleets, small construction outfits) are asking for an F100.

Take the F150. Make it available as regular and supercab only. put on a lighter frame, axles, smaller brakes with 16# rims etc etc so that a good 1000# is shaved (closer to what the truck weighed in 87)

V6 and base V8 only. Manual 4x4 hubs

Highest trim is XLT

it would be very popular

It would be a T-100 and nobody bought those.

It would be a T-100 and nobody bought those.

I didn't say shrink the body, but make it essentially the same weight, capacity and dimensions as the 87-96 era.

The T-100 was midsize like the Dakota

Edited by J-150