Upgrade from Sync 2 to Sync 3

pcsgrp35se

I was on the phone this morning to ford sync technical staff. From what I understand, there is going to be a upgrade to Sync (I have a sport) which will put in some nice advancements including a semi-gps navagation capability. Used in conjunction with the cell phone, it sounds like the cars already have a gps locator receiver in the car. When you want to go some place, you activitate sync and then it will use your cell phone to call someplace where you will be asked questions (I assume where you want to go). Based on the answers, it will download directions into th sync unit. I would guess that it would give you verbal directions since there is no screen similar to a gps unit. I was not able to find out if you needed to use the gps capabilities of your phone for recalculating when you go off course or if the sync unit realizes that your off course and calls "the mother ship" again for new directions. I would think that perhaps they download the base maps into the system with the upload but without any real way to put in where you want to go, you need to call someplace to do that. No matter how they do it, it might be a handy little feature in particular since it will use traffic updates etc.

Speaking of sync, I noticed that my cell phone battery life goes down the toilet when connected to sync. I went out and got a charger but I am wondering if anyone else noticed that.

Speaking of sync, I noticed that my cell phone battery life goes down the toilet when connected to sync. I went out and got a charger but I am wondering if anyone else noticed that.

This is because your phone's bluetooth is on when connected to SYNC. That will drain your battery pretty quick. I turn the BT off on my phone when I get out and keep it plugged in when it's connected.

I was not able to find out if you needed to use the gps capabilities of your phone for recalculating when you go off course or if the sync unit realizes that your off course and calls "the mother ship" again for new directions. I would think that perhaps they download the base maps into the system with the upload but without any real way to put in where you want to go, you need to call someplace to do that.

The Sync 3 hardware has a GPS chip in it. The H/W is only available in the 2010 cars and not in earlier models. Your cell phone is used only to request downloaded instructions from a ford internet service. Once the instructions are downloaded, the car tracks where it is itself and gives turn by turn voice directions. If you miss a turn it notifies you that you missed a turn, but it cannot automatically correct your route. You need to reconnect to the internet service and have a new route transmitted to you. It is my understanding that sync will ask you automatically if you want to reroute if you stray off route.

Along with the gps there is something like a 14 million businesses database that is tied into the system. So you can ask for directions to the nearest McDonalds, etc or automatically place a call. There is also real time traffic and weather along with sports. The whole system uses your cell voice connection to connect and download to the central server(s) This is for people with out data plans. Sometime in the future it is suppose to support data connections. The service is free for 3 years on all new 2010 Fords and there is still a question of what the price will be after that.

If you don't have a 2500 nav system in your car, this is probably a pretty good thing. When I spoke with syncmyride.com, they said that it was suppose to be available some time in May, but there is no release date yet. It will be for cars with the correct H/W a download. It is exciting stuff.

Jim

• 3 weeks later...
Did I read somewhere the other day that Sync 3.0 has officically been released? Wondered if anyone has tried it in thier 2010 Fusion yet or if the news article I read was wrong...

(Just counting the days until mine comes in)

I read that too on cnet news, but I think they were mistaken about the release date. I checked on syncmyride.com, and it doesn't list any updates yet (version 2 still current release).

However, I did read on autoblog that version 3 will be released on May 26 (so a week from today). Here is the promo video for the new version:

Needless to say, it looks pretty cool!

I read that too on cnet news, but I think they were mistaken about the release date. I checked on syncmyride.com, and it doesn't list any updates yet (version 2 still current release).

However, I did read on autoblog that version 3 will be released on May 26 (so a week from today). Here is the promo video for the new version:

Needless to say, it looks pretty cool!

You are correct... I seen a twitter feed that come through from Ford just about the next day after you updated with a link to engadget... It is indeed being released next week... The other source was off by about a week... Probably because it was the date the two came to agreement to release the software to production for building and packaging into a release that consumers can download...

Can't wait to hear the excitement/issues that arrise one it comes out!

Howdy All:

I hope you are well.

I went to the mysync site today and did not see it. I chatted with someone on the site and was told the following-

"Due to compatibility issues with both hardware and software, 2010 models that have a Navigation system in them cannot receive SYNC V3."

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards, tony

Northville, MI

Howdy All:

I hope you are well.

I went to the mysync site today and did not see it. I chatted with someone on the site and was told the following-

"Due to compatibility issues with both hardware and software, 2010 models that have a Navigation system in them cannot receive SYNC V3."

Any thoughts on this?

Best regards, tony

Northville, MI

That seems like a rather strange reply. It is hard to see what the compatibility issues would be. Sync 3 looks like an add on to Sync 2 that is capable of using the GPS chip on the new sync boxes, unless they are saying that if you have a nav system you really didn't get a next generation h/w sync box? As far as software goes, it appears all the new services will be compartmentalize under the "Services" command.

The whole thing is a bit secretive in how all the features come together. I don't have a nav system, but I always wonder why can't I control the radio with voice commands. It sure can't be a hardware limitation as the radio is already tied into sync commands. It looks like more of a marketing decision then a technical one. Anyway for those with Nav systems I hope the CSR was wrong. I find every time I use them I need to refine my questions two or three times before I get a solid answer. They tend to provide a general answer which is not always true in a specific situation.

The SYNC version 3.0 has been posted to syncmyride.com. I haven't updated mine but I'll probably run it tomorrow.

Due to the fact that I have the nav system, I'm not sure that I'll gain that much from 3.0, but it looks great for those without the nav system (it says the traffic, direction, and information features of SYNC are not available on navigation equipped vehicles).

The Traffic, Directions & Information* software update enables your SYNC to deliver: turn-by-turn driving directions, traffic reports, business searches and your favorite news, sports and weather—all with simple voice commands. A complimentary 3-year subscription is available to new vehicle owners.

How do you get the upgrade? I have a 2010 Fusion Sport and I need to know this. I understood it was on the car already, but it is not.

If you haven't already, you'll need to register on syncmyride.com. Once you're registered (I believe it asked for the VIN), you go to the Updates & Customize tab on the web site.

Note that you'll need a USB memory stick in order to download and install the upgrade. The full instructions are on the web site.

Has anyone tried the update yet? I treid to download it, but it errors out every time. Just sits at 0%, then an error. I can download the sync version checker just fine. I have a 2010 with nav system. I'm guessing maybe they forgot to put the file online or something?

I've been having some issues with sync pairing with my phone, so im hopeful that the 3,0 upgrade might improve that as well.

Well, disregard my above post. As soon as i made that, the website finally decided to let me download the update.

I now have it installed. The installation took about 10 minutes or so to complete. It stays on a "rebooting" screen for about a good 7-8 minutes, but eventually it'll say installation complete. Even while the rebooting screen was up, the radio was working in the background, except for maybe 5 secodns at the beginning of the reboot. I was gettign slightly concerned, but im glad it eventually finished. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case you get worried like me.

The bluetooth in my Fusion Hybrid (no Nav sys) kills my phone battery after 1-2 hours This did not happen with the same phone in my Chrysler 300 with UConnect. Is this just an oddity of the Sync system? Is there any workaround short of turning off the Bluetooth which would be rather annoying?

Also has anyone had problems losing the pairing to their phone? My Motorola Razor paired up on the first shot and worked great for a week, then after I used it with several other Bluetooth devices it would no longer pair up in the car. As of today, I still have not gotten it to work, even after deleting the Sync entry from my phone and putting it into discovery mode again.

Well, disregard my above post. As soon as i made that, the website finally decided to let me download the update.

I now have it installed. The installation took about 10 minutes or so to complete. It stays on a "rebooting" screen for about a good 7-8 minutes, but eventually it'll say installation complete. Even while the rebooting screen was up, the radio was working in the background, except for maybe 5 secodns at the beginning of the reboot. I was gettign slightly concerned, but im glad it eventually finished. Just wanted to give you guys a heads up in case you get worried like me.

I also upgraded mine to version 3 today. Same experience -- about 10 minutes overall. I can't say that anything is different (I have the nav on mine), but I haven't really investigated it thoroughly either. I did have to pair my phone over bluetooth after the update but that was easy and painless.

The bluetooth in my Fusion Hybrid (no Nav sys) kills my phone battery after 1-2 hours This did not happen with the same phone in my Chrysler 300 with UConnect. Is this just an oddity of the Sync system? Is there any workaround short of turning off the Bluetooth which would be rather annoying?

Also has anyone had problems losing the pairing to their phone? My Motorola Razor paired up on the first shot and worked great for a week, then after I used it with several other Bluetooth devices it would no longer pair up in the car. As of today, I still have not gotten it to work, even after deleting the Sync entry from my phone and putting it into discovery mode again.

Sorry, don't know what that could be. Did you try installing the 3.0 update? Just wondering if perhaps they improved the bluetooth connectivity.

I haven't experienced any additional battery drain. After reading an earlier post I kept an eye on it and my bi-weekly charging time hasn't changed. How old is your phone? Maybe the battery is near the end of it life span and can't hold a charge as well as before.

One thing I am experiencing is losing the connection to my USB port. After I turn off the radio and car, when I return I have to re-select the USB source. It continues from the same song that was playing, it's just a minor inconvenience.

Edited by transitman

If you haven't done this, I would first delete the phone (device) from sync itself. Then add it back in and try pairing. I haven't noticed any adverse effects with my iPhone's battery usage.

If you haven't done this, I would first delete the phone (device) from sync itself. Then add it back in and try pairing. I haven't noticed any adverse effects with my iPhone's battery usage.

Exactly what I did and the issue seems to be resolved

I tried to update to sync 3 without success. I spent about 1 hour with tech support and they are going to get back to me today to see if they can figure out why it doesn't work. I asked how to bring it back to sync 2 and they told me that was impossible so until they work out the bugs, I would hold off on sync 3

I tried to update to sync 3 without success. I spent about 1 hour with tech support and they are going to get back to me today to see if they can figure out why it doesn't work. I asked how to bring it back to sync 2 and they told me that was impossible so until they work out the bugs, I would hold off on sync 3

Could you please post the type of problem you are having with the installation. There was an earlier problem with the installation procedures that required an a new download. If you downloaded on the first day of sync 3.0 availability and waited to install, that may very well be your problem.

I never got the second notification that it was installed although sync feels that the download was competed into the hardware but the big thing, I can't keep my phone connected. Every time I try to make a call sync tells me that "incomplete downolad" "phone disconnected !! I told them, if they can't get this to work, I want sync 2 back even it they have to change out the hardware

I downoladed the upgrade and was up and running in about 25 minutes. Tried the driving instructions first and it flawlessly took me to work. It also routed me on another errand. This will be a great addition to Fords with Sync. I then tried the Vehicle Health Report and it sent me a webpage address to view it. Simply great. It has made my 2010 Fusion Sport all the more enjoyable.