Explorer V8-6spd reliability

Has there been many reported problems with the V8 and 6 spd transmission? I have read other places that people have been having reliability issue with this engine/transmission combination.

I also saw consumer reports say that the V8 Explorer/Mountianeer were some of the least reliable vehicles. I own a 2002 with a V8 and 5 speed and I have 159,000 miles on it and it still going strong. Only getting rid of it because the suggested repairs are about the same price as what the trade in value would be.

Thanks for letting me know.

I've heard lots of issues with the 02 MY Explorer...parents had an EB V6 Explorer that needed rear diff replaced,transmission then the torque converter replaced a year later...they got rid of it and replaced it with a Sable.

Sister has a 06 Explorer Limited V8 and AFAIK she has had zero power train issues with it.

I think the reliability ratings are low due to the early transmission programming gripes that are fixed now. Make sure that the unit you look at has all of its TSB's and recalls performed on it. Mine has been running solid at 30,000 miles after I got the tranny reprogrammed.

Edited by betaiota

I own a 2006 Mountaineer V8 that had to be taken into service twice for a transmission kick when coming to a stop. It still kicks intermittently and it is annoying. Other than the transmission kick, the vehicle has been solid. No rattles or squeaks after three years of ownership. The only other gripe is a delay in acceleration when hitting the gas pedal to stitch into traffic.

• 1 month later...
I own a 2006 Mountaineer V8 that had to be taken into service twice for a transmission kick when coming to a stop. It still kicks intermittently and it is annoying. Other than the transmission kick, the vehicle has been solid. No rattles or squeaks after three years of ownership. The only other gripe is a delay in acceleration when hitting the gas pedal to stitch into traffic.

My 2008 Explorer Sport Trac Limited has had 2 TSB's for the transmission kick and neither have fixed it for more than 1000 miles. Its in the shop again today for the 5th time for transmission issues.

Now, the service writer tells me the '09 F150's and Expeditions are starting to have the same issue.

Absolutely unreal. From 2006 to 2009, this makes 4 model years of this junk transmission now in some of Ford's prime selling vehicles with the same problem. I have owned Fords since 1968, If this doesn't fix it this time, I am done with them. I thought I would never have to say that about my once favorite brand.

My 2008 Explorer Sport Trac Limited has had 2 TSB's for the transmission kick and neither have fixed it for more than 1000 miles. Its in the shop again today for the 5th time for transmission issues.

Now, the service writer tells me the '09 F150's and Expeditions are starting to have the same issue.

Absolutely unreal. From 2006 to 2009, this makes 4 model years of this junk transmission now in some of Ford's prime selling vehicles with the same problem. I have owned Fords since 1968, If this doesn't fix it this time, I am done with them. I thought I would never have to say that about my once favorite brand.

Is this the V8 with the 6-speed or the V6 with the 5-speed automatic.

Is this the V8 with the 6-speed or the V6 with the 5-speed automatic.

This is the V8/6speed. I just went and picked it up from the dealer. I like how the Service Tech wrote "ok for now" in his comments on the work order after the road test. Seems he knows the bad habits will be back. I was suprised when he told me about the 09 F150's and Expy's starting to come in with the same issue. I would like to buy a F150 with the new 6.2 Liter Boss motor when it is available but if it comes with this transmission, no thanks. Choices are getting few, I am not and never have been a Chevy fan and I dont think Dodge will make it more than a year or 2 before they liquidate. I cant picture myself in an Asian truck no matter how good they are. Sad.

Edited by gbb

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried another dealership to get the work done? All dealerships are NOT created equal. It took my service guy twice but it's been strong now for over 10,000 miles. It's all in the programming of the trans, and obvously the service dept. you've been using is not up to date.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No problem what so ever with my 4.6 V8 and 6 speed once I had dealership reprogram 30,000 miles ago. They advised me to avoid sudden/hard accelaration and for a couple of days to allow the computer to adjust to regular driving, it's been great since the reprogram, awesome engine/tranny combo there!

• 2 months later...

I had the latest TSB done for the shifting issues several thousand miles ago and the transmission has worked flawlessly ever since. The process is very involved. My dealer's service manager said it took them nearly three hours but they obviously did it right the first time. No complaints. BTW, I have installed a Magnaflow cat-back exhaust, larger throttle body, cone type open element air filter and reprogrammed the computer using an Xcal2. Throttle response, power and fuel mileage are all improved. Awesome truck!

• 9 months later...

I have a 2008 Mercury Mount. AWD V8...the issue is that on start up, before oil runs through the engine we hear clicking in the lifters ??? Once it has been running for about ten seconds, it goes away...Is this normal ??? or is there an additive I can put in the oil. The oil we use is synthetic 5w-30. Thanks for ur help in advance.