Ford Volvo Sale Said to Speed Up; Geely Reviews Books

May 7 (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co.’s sale of Volvo is gathering pace, as Geely Holding Group Co., China’s biggest privately owned carmaker, and at least two more bidders review the automaker’s books, three people familiar with the talks said.

Geely sent a team to Volvo’s factory in Gothenburg, Sweden last month to scrutinize the automaker’s financial records, said the people, who declined to be identified because the talks are private. Volvo Chief Executive Officer Stephen Odell told employees in an April 24 memo obtained by Bloomberg News his managers would meet potential buyers in coming months.

LINK

Is Volvo really doing that badly when you consider the general economic conditions of late? I think Ford's gotten rid of enough units and eliminated a lot of costs and debt. I think they should keep Volvo. Other than the Ford brand, it's the only other world (luxury) brand they have!

Is Volvo really doing that badly when you consider the general economic conditions of late? I think Ford's gotten rid of enough units and eliminated a lot of costs and debt. I think they should keep Volvo. Other than the Ford brand, it's the only other world (luxury) brand they have!

Ford needs to stay on track with these bad investments and continue to rid themselves of the Jack nASSer era once and for all....Volvo can be spun off and Ford may keep a minority share (like Mazda) so the use of Volvo technology in Ford branded vehicles can continue.

Ford needs to stay on track with these bad investments and continue to rid themselves of the Jack nASSer era once and for all....Volvo can be spun off and Ford may keep a minority share (like Mazda) so the use of Volvo technology in Ford branded vehicles can continue.

Was Volvo (or Mazda for that matter) really a bad investment?

I think selling Volvo its a bad idea in the current market with so many brands up for sale, and Volvo was profitable since Ford bought them and was the only part of PAG that was keeping that Group in the profits side and only lately was the brand loosing cash but other than that I think that when the market gets back Volvo will benefit