Wixom closure announced Jan. 23/06

St.Thomas moving to one shift Jan. 23/06

Line speed reduction at ST.thomas announced May.01/06

ST. Thomas is given a date as to when one shift will occur.

St. Thomas closure announcement would have occurred Jan. 23/06

but their is a no closure agreement in effect.

One shift must remain until the deal with the canadian government has

expired.

The panther platform will not be moved to any other plant.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh really Mr. Knowitall? Where do you get the data from? Last time I heard from Ford was that they are continuing the CVPI and that it will get updates and this was from the official Ford media site!

To: All Ford Motor Company Government Accounts

Subject: Future of the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (CVPI)

On January 23, 2006, Ford Motor Company announced the details of our "Way Forward" revitalization plan. "Way Forward" is a sweeping, innovative plan designed to strengthen all Ford operations and ensure we retain our position as America's Car Company. The plan impacts virtually every aspect of our business, including vehicle assembly plants and production capacity.

Since the "Way Forward" announcement, we recognize there has been extensive speculation regarding the future of many Ford products, including the Crown Victoria Police Interceptor. The purpose of this letter is to clarify Ford's position on CVPI and ensure you have accurate information. The bottom line:

• Ford Motor Company is committed to the law enforcement community.

• Ford Motor Company will continue to produce the CVPI well into the future.

The CVPI will continue to be assembled at our St. Thomas Assembly Plant. The decision to move to a single shift operation at St. Thomas is designed to smooth the production process and ensure a more consistent product flow. Even with one shift of assembly operations, Ford will have sufficient production to meet all your police car order demands.

The Crown Victoria Police Interceptor remains the only body-on-frame, police car rear crash tested at 75 mph. It has the largest interior space at 109.8 cubic feet and largest trunk at 20.6 cubic feet. It also has exclusive safety options including ballistic door panels and a fire suppression system. While we're confident CVPI is the best police vehicle on the road today, we are also committed to an even better product in the future. To deliver on that commitment, we will make a significant investment in product upgrades over the next several years.

Ford Motor Company built the first police package car in 1950, and has built police cars every year since then. We have the best selling dealership network in the country, and a Ford Fleet sales and service team that can address all your vehicle needs. Ford has a full-line of vehicles: cars, SUVs, vans, wagons, and trucks to help you better serve your communities. Ford Motor Company is the leader in government sales and we plan to stay that way.

If you have any questions or concerns, please call our Fleet Customer Information Center at 1-800-34-FLEET or write Tony Gratson, Government Sales Manager at tgratson@ford.com.

Thank you for purchasing Ford products. If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know.

Sincerely,

Oh really Mr. Knowitall? Where do you get the data from? Last time I heard from Ford was that they are continuing the CVPI and that it will get updates and this was from the official Ford media site!

Ford also said once upon a time that Atlanta Assembly would be getting new Lincoln products...we see how that worked out. Ford will say what it has to say to keep investors as cheery as they can.

Ford also said once upon a time that Atlanta Assembly would be getting new Lincoln products...we see how that worked out. Ford will say what it has to say to keep investors as cheery as they can.

Ford won't kill the car because it is too profitable for them and they would loose huge fleet and retail business from doing so. I'm sure the car will be phased out eventually but not before the car is replaced with a newer RWD platform.

Ford won't kill the car because it is too profitable for them and they would loose huge fleet and retail business from doing so. I'm sure the car will be phased out eventually but not before the car is replaced with a newer RWD platform.

Yeah, "panthers" are dead... on :rockon: !

In Canada, sales of the Focus were up 10%... sales of the CrownVictoria ( which is a special order up there, they only have the GrandMarq/Townie retail ) is up 20%... hint of things to come maybe??? :unsure:

Yeah, "panthers" are dead... on :rockon: !

In Canada, sales of the Focus were up 10%... sales of the CrownVictoria ( which is a special order up there, they only have the GrandMarq/Townie retail ) is up 20%... hint of things to come maybe??? :unsure:

Hint of huge rebates available on the Panthers. :doh:

I do hope Ford gives us SOMETHING to replace the Panthers...but I doubt it will make all the BOF people happy as I'm sure it'll unit body if anything.

That letter looks just like the one Oldsmoble dealers got a few years before they quit making Oldsmobles! I think with the demise of the Town Car (a big percentage of 'Panther' profits), the situation with the Candaian plant, some fierce competition for the police car market soon, and Ford's financial situation, the future of the Crown Vic. is cloudy at best.

CV/GM production has fallen by 100,000 units over the last six years

with no response from Ford.

I believe it was about two to three years ago Chrysler made it's intentions

known about recapturing the police car market.

The upgrade money for the CV/GM will keep it around until contractual

obligations have been completed and that's all.

If Ford was run by rationale managment, I would not be so concerned about the Panther. However, Ford is not run by car guys, but by marketing guys. Billy Boy wants to be liked by the "cool" people, and the Panther is not the kind of car that the urban yuppies like.

Dropping the Town Car and letting the CV/GM rot shows you able evidence why Ford is losing long time customers to Toyota and Hyundai.

No joke! I think Ford is in worse trouble than G.M. is now. G.M. has all these hot cars comming out,

and Ford gives us imitation Camrys like the 500. Outside of the F-150 and the Mustang, what have they got?

Explorer sales are in the toilet, Ranger's dead, the Super Duty's are going to fall victim to high fuel prices

and a hideous re-style (and don't tell me that their commercial market is safe, either. An Isuzu NPR can do

anything an F-450 can, but with better economy and reliability). Lincoln is Cadillac road kill. Mercury? Are they still around? Been so long since I have seen a new one. Volvo and Mazda show promise, but is it enough? Way forward, there isn't going to be a Ford if they don't shape up fast. Sorry for the rant...

Ford has said already in official press relese statements that the car will go on until atleast 2010. For as much as it costs to produce the car, Ford would loose more money by cutting the line than they would be updating it. For the record, according to the last April's sales report, both the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis are up in terms of sales. The Five Hundred was down 3,000 units. I guess all that billions of dollars of investment was worth nothing for a new car that can't even get much better gas millage and makes less power than car that is based on a platfrom from the Carter Administration. :doh:

Edited by StevenJ

Ford has said already in official press relese statements that the car will go on until atleast 2010. For as much as it costs to produce the car, Ford would loose more money by cutting then line than they would be axing it. For the record, according to the last April's sales report, both the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis are up in terms of sales. The Five Hundred was down 3,000 units. I guess all that billions of dollars of investment was worth nothing for a new car that can't even get much better gas millage and makes less power than car that is based on a platfrom from the Carter Administration. :doh:

For the record, the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis also had about 3 times the incentives on them as the D3 twins. I'm sure lots of NYC cabbies are enjoying their '06 Crown Vic. :doh:

For the record, the Crown Vic and Grand Marquis also had about 3 times the incentives on them as the D3 twins. I'm sure lots of NYC cabbies are enjoying their '06 Crown Vic. :doh:

Still doesn't change the fact the car has been realtively unchanged since 1992 and is keeping up with the D3s that were only introduced a year ago in terms of sales, safety, power, performance, safety, fuel efficeny, and reliability. :doh:

Last time I checked, the incentives on the GM weren't all that much, about $2-$3k. At least according to Ford's website. Not too much different than the D3's. :kuko:

Face it, that Volvo piece of Euro trash can't compete with a twenty year old big American sedan. I really don't understand you haters. You want Ford to end up in a death spiral like GM? One of the big reasons GM went into a death spiral was because they ditched the B-body and never bothered to come up with a replacement. All thoose consumer sales were lost and transfered to Ford as well as other brands and they lost the police market. The Wimpala is hardly making a dent. People like you need to come out of your "Beautiful People" rock as Traveler calls it and realize that big American sedans are just as important as your average Euro trash sedans like the D3.

Edited by StevenJ

Ford would loose more money by cutting the line than they would be updating it.

Precisely.

Besides, what part of a few $100millions in updates is so terrible to spend to recover a couple of $billions in sales???

Oh, and where does it say they cancelled the TownCar? FYI Lincoln IS the TownCar, everything else is pretty much road kill.

Yup, sales ( incentives or not ) are up for the "panthers" while lesser vehicles, complete with incentive rot. Understandable. When thing start getting uncertain people gravitate to old reliables like the "panthers".

Oh, and BTW, people who continually cheer :blah: about the impending demise of the "panthers" can :kissass: . Ford has already issued a memo to customers in the last month saying the car is around indefinitely and will receive significant updates shortly. :finger: Got that?

Precisely.

Besides, what part of a few $100millions in updates is so terrible to spend to recover a couple of $billions in sales???

Oh, and where does it say they cancelled the TownCar? FYI Lincoln IS the TownCar, everything else is pretty much road kill.

Yup, sales ( incentives or not ) are up for the "panthers" while lesser vehicles, complete with incentive rot. Understandable. When thing start getting uncertain people gravitate to old reliables like the "panthers".

Oh, and BTW, people who continually cheer :blah: about the impending demise of the "panthers" can :kissass: . Ford has already issued a memo to customers in the last month saying the car is around indefinitely and will receive significant updates shortly. :finger: Got that?

so why are we reducing line speed and laying people off?

You know what this car needs? it needs a 2 door brother w/nice wide tires , a bigger motor, a bit lower stance and leather bucket seat , console shift interior.

That's what it needs , oh and maybe a v6 cousin for the poor folks that want to buy one .

Still doesn't change the fact the car has been realtively unchanged since 1992 and is keeping up with the D3s that were only introduced a year ago in terms of sales, safety, power, performance, safety, fuel efficeny, and reliability. :doh:

Last time I checked, the incentives on the GM weren't all that much, about $2-$3k. At least according to Ford's website. Not too much different than the D3's. :kuko:

Face it, that Volvo piece of Euro trash can't compete with a twenty year old big American sedan. I really don't understand you haters. You want Ford to end up in a death spiral like GM? One of the big reasons GM went into a death spiral was because they ditched the B-body and never bothered to come up with a replacement. All thoose consumer sales were lost and transfered to Ford as well as other brands and they lost the police market. The Wimpala is hardly making a dent. People like you need to come out of your "Beautiful People" rock as Traveler calls it and realize that big American sedans are just as important as your average Euro trash sedans like the D3.

Yes. The Panther is extremely popular....with fleet buyers. It does nothing for Ford's image and very little for their bottom line. If Ford doesn't feel like spending the money to modernize it, they may as well scrap it.

Precisely.

I don' cheer about the the demise of the panthers but a memo is just a memo. Without action it means nothing, without an update on the Town car it is dead, without an update on the CV/GM they are dead.

Significant updates have been promised for years and years. All that happens are plant closures, shift reductions and line speed reductions which speak louder than a memo.

Edited by X Stap R

Yes. The Panther is extremely popular....with fleet buyers. It does nothing for Ford's image and very little for their bottom line. If Ford doesn't feel like spending the money to modernize it, they may as well scrap it.

The Grand Marquis still sells about 60,000 units per year and the vast majority of thoose units are retail. So your argument doesn't hold much credit. The only reason it doesn't fit in Ford's image is because they never update the freakin car! The Taurus could still have fit Ford's image if they didn't let it rot and they wouldn't of had to switch to a whole new name for the next car to replace it, cough Fusion. Ford could easily have the Crown Vic fit the image. It could bring in thoose repeat Explorer buyers that want something that is more car like but can still pull a trailer. Well, the Crown Vic is it. Just work a bit on the frame and bring up the tow rating to 6,000 pounds. Shouldn't be too hard. There are a number of guys on CVN that use their Vic to tow their race cars.

The Grand Marquis still sells about 60,000 units per year and the vast majority of thoose units are retail. So your argument doesn't hold much credit. The only reason it doesn't fit in Ford's image is because they never update the freakin car! The Taurus could still have fit Ford's image if they didn't let it rot and they wouldn't of had to switch to a whole new name for the next car to replace it, cough Fusion. Ford could easily have the Crown Vic fit the image. It could bring in thoose repeat Explorer buyers that want something that is more car like but can still pull a trailer. Well, the Crown Vic is it. Just work a bit on the frame and bring up the tow rating to 6,000 pounds. Shouldn't be too hard. There are a number of guys on CVN that use their Vic to tow their race cars.

Grand Marquis sales are mostly retail???? Would love to see any evidence you have of THAT.

Like I've said many times before, IF Ford invests enough money in the Panther TO make it fit the rest of the lineup again then more power to them. But if they DON'T (which it doesn't look like they will) then they should just close up shop and divert the funding for the program elsewhere.

Granted, a lot of Mercs go to rental fleets, there are still a lot of grey hairs buying them. I see atleast one 06' Grand Marquis a day and one of my neighboors owns one. Then again, South Florida is the Grand Marquis capital. Can't blame though. It's a good car. Well, that and all the lovely old people we got here in Florida... To be fair of course.

Oh yeah, what you said about either update or close up shop. Well that's something I can kind of agree with. I wonder what will happen. Now the rumors of the next Vic being built on a LHD Falcon are re-emerging. So who knows? We should have some idea by the 08' model year however. If there is no new 3v V8 Vic at NAIAS, then we'll know the answer. It may still debut sinlenty at Chicago since that show comes up soon after. If there's nothing after Chigaco, well forget it.

Edited by StevenJ

Granted, a lot of Mercs go to rental fleets, there are still a lot of grey hairs buying them. I see atleast one 06' Grand Marquis a day and one of my neighboors owns one. Then again, South Florida is the Grand Marquis capital. Can't blame though. It's a good car. Well, that and all the lovely old people we got here in Florida... To be fair of course.

Oh yeah, what you said about either update or close up shop. Well that's something I can kind of agree with. I wonder what will happen. Now the rumors of the next Vic being built on a LHD Falcon are re-emerging. So who knows? We should have some idea by the 08' model year however. If there is no new 3v V8 Vic at NAIAS, then we'll know the answer. It may still debut sinlenty at Chicago since that show comes up soon after. If there's nothing after Chigaco, well forget it.

There is no change in the exterior design of 2008 Crown Vic, one was in the UQA area up front at the plant I was working on just this past week thursday, there were 2 built in April 2006. Seems that you didn't notice them come down the line. :doh:

There is no change in the exterior design of 2008 Crown Vic, one was in the UQA area up front at the plant I was working on just this past week thursday, there were 2 built in April 2006. Seems that you didn't notice them come down the line. :doh:

No I don't work at STAP but if you 'really' do, care to fill us in? What about the Merc? I heard it is getting some changes. What about engine components? Also, you sure it wasn't an 07'?

No I don't work at STAP but if you 'really' do, care to fill us in? What about the Merc? I heard it is getting some changes. What about engine components? Also, you sure it wasn't an 07'?

Did not see any 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis, they just built 2 2008 Crown Vics,I did not drive the vehicle so I don't know if it had more power than normal or if anything new on the underpinnings of the vehicle, but I do know exterior changes are nill with a few cosmetic changes interior wise,thats it. When I see a car like that in the glass house and its got a card in the front window that identifies it as a 2008 its a 2008. Its too bad I deleted the body changes from an engineer from the body shop which identified the changes for 2007 and 2008 body builds, there were several changes for 2007 with the 2008 getting all 2007 changes plus 2 more , that I do recall. If I still have that letter I'll email it too you.