Toyota sales shake up Big Three

The main thrust of this article (in my opinion....) is that it's true that Toyota has a broad range of products that appeals to the needs of many. They have also established a reputation of being reliable and in having high re-sale value. For me, that covers just about everything you need to be successful in the car biz. I have never owned a Toyota, but my wife would love to trade in her Saturn on a new Matrix. I have mentioned on here before that I always admired the Scion xB because of all the things it does and having a low price while doing it. I know many people feel that lots of Toyota models are too small to be safe. I suspect they are the people tailgating, cell-phoing and speeding down the road.

The little "line of fuel-efficient vehicles may put Toyota ahead for good" bit is pretty funny. The Tundra is about to get bigger and thirstier, and Toyota's hybrids have had the most articles about their inflated MPG numbers (right behind their inflated HP numbers).

Toyota is having the problems inherent with massive growth and massive size: Avalons and trucks causing a huge rise in recalls over the last couple of years. Nobody's immune.

Toyota deserves credit for raising the quality bar-as does Honda-but the Toyota Juggernaught has weaknesses like any other company.

I watched Autoline Detroit last week and after all the doom and gloom about the domestics, the guy they were talking to (name excapes me, sorry) brought up a good point.

He said you always get someone or something's best shot when they are backed into a corner. His example was a car like the Fusion, some of the good product like what Caddy has, and such. The new Mustang is another one. He said that the domestics have this "do or die" scenario that they didn't have 5 years ago, they gotta succeed.

Over the next five years we'll see who's on top. I am no fan of one over the other, but if I was to take a look from the outside looking in at all three (ok, two and a half) domestics, I would say that GM is in real trouble. DCX ain't lookin so hot either. I looked at the Caliber and it looked like it was about 80% developed, very cheap looking inside and out.

But Ford I think is on the right track. All of their product is either new or going to be new in the nearer future. And while not all of them have been homeruns, none of them have this "what the hell were you thinkin??" like some of the debutes from the domestics 5-10 years ago.

I wish them luck.

One more thing...my broken record I put everywhere out here like a troll hoping someone at Ford reads it. Your product is fine, great even. FIX YOUR F**KIN' DEALERS and overall customer support AFTER THE SALE!!!!

One more thing...my broken record I put everywhere out here like a troll hoping someone at Ford reads it. Your product is fine, great even. FIX YOUR F**KIN' DEALERS and overall customer support AFTER THE SALE!!!!

No sh*t. By far the biggest problem facing Ford. I get a kick out of people that say you need to find a good dealer if you have a bad experience with one. For most people, that is all it takes to send them elsewhere; one bad experience. They won't 'find another dealer', they'll find another car manufactuer. That is where the Imports have done the most damage. Perception and reputation have been Toyotas biggest weapons.

Ford, are you listening?!?

I watched Autoline Detroit last week and after all the doom and gloom about the domestics, the guy they were talking to (name excapes me, sorry) brought up a good point.

He said you always get someone or something's best shot when they are backed into a corner. His example was a car like the Fusion, some of the good product like what Caddy has, and such. The new Mustang is another one. He said that the domestics have this "do or die" scenario that they didn't have 5 years ago, they gotta succeed.

Over the next five years we'll see who's on top. I am no fan of one over the other, but if I was to take a look from the outside looking in at all three (ok, two and a half) domestics, I would say that GM is in real trouble. DCX ain't lookin so hot either. I looked at the Caliber and it looked like it was about 80% developed, very cheap looking inside and out.

But Ford I think is on the right track. All of their product is either new or going to be new in the nearer future. And while not all of them have been homeruns, none of them have this "what the hell were you thinkin??" like some of the debutes from the domestics 5-10 years ago.

I wish them luck.

You bring up a good point. When the Big 3 have their backs to the wall they have always responded.

When times were good they get fat and lazy.

There are many positive signs of the Big 3 turning aroud.