Extended Warranty Prices

sonex293

Ok, I ordered a FFH on June 1 and I'm in the waiting stage. Gives me time to get all my financial ducks in a row. I've got everything thrown into an Excel spreadsheet but one item I couldn't guess at cost.

What are you folks paying for extended warranties?

==

Michael

Ok, I ordered a FFH on June 1 and I'm in the waiting stage. Gives me time to get all my financial ducks in a row. I've got everything thrown into an Excel spreadsheet but one item I couldn't guess at cost.

If I remember correctly (and I'll try to look at the invoice again today), I paid about $1,800 for the extended warranty to 4 years/100K miles and the 100K service contract, combined.

==

Michael

I paid $1870 for 6 year, 100K miles wall-to-wall extended warranty. It would have been $80 less for 5 year, 100K miles.

Hi guys. :D Here is my recommendation. Go to the Ford Genuine Parts and Service website here: LINK Ford Genuine Parts and Service

Scroll your cursor over "Ford Extended Service" in the blue banner, near the top of the page.

Then you can click on links to find out "About Ford ESP", "Browse Plans" and "Buy a Plan". Use the website to research and find out what the MSRP prices are for the Plan you are interested in. It is just like shopping for a car. There is an MSRP PRioce, and you need to negotiate with the seller to get your best price below MSRP.

There are four basic types of ESP Plans: Premium CARE, Extra CARE, BaseCARE and Powertrain CARE. Then they are priced by your choice of mileage and time duration.

Without knowing the MSRP, you can not purchase wisely (just like buying a car). Once you know the MSRP price of the Plan you are interested in, you can negotiate with your local Dealers, or with an online seller of Ford ESP Plans (such as the one stevew7 linked to). What I can tell you is that some of you have overpaid for the Plans you have.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Just to add my 2 cents, I bought the DentCare package for $395 (5 years coverage) and the ESP for 84 Months/75K miles for $1730.00. I figure the dent care will pay for itself. Both are transferable from my understanding, so if I ever decide to sell my FFH sooner, it would be a selling advantage even if I never use the services.

• 3 weeks later...

==

Michael

Haven't decided to buy an ESP yet, but did some research. The price of the plans really do vary, though. For example: the ESP's sold at Troy Ford, in OH, are much less expensive than the one's sold at Ford's main ESP site. However, I can't get corporate Ford to acknowledge that Troy Ford sells a Ford-backed ESP, accepted at any/all Ford dealerships. Matter of fact, they've stated the contrary, by stating that it's an independent plan, only available for use at that specific dealership. That is in direct contrast to everything stated at Troy Ford's site, and the guy I spoke with who works there. It would be irresponsible of me, to make that big-ticket purchase, without verification from Ford, first. It shouldn't be a problem for corporate Ford to simply verify that information, after all, there's a lot of cash involved. The disinformation is rather disheartening.

Haven't decided to buy an ESP yet, but did some research. The price of the plans really do vary, though. For example: the ESP's sold at Troy Ford, in OH, are much less expensive than the one's sold at Ford's main ESP site. However, I can't get corporate Ford to acknowledge that Troy Ford sells a Ford-backed ESP, accepted at any/all Ford dealerships. Matter of fact, they've stated the contrary, by stating that it's an independent plan, only available for use at that specific dealership. That is in direct contrast to everything stated at Troy Ford's site, and the guy I spoke with who works there. It would be irresponsible of me, to make that big-ticket purchase, without verification from Ford, first. It shouldn't be a problem for corporate Ford to simply verify that information, after all, there's a lot of cash involved. The disinformation is rather disheartening.

Hi wnyvet. :D This is not a Ford related problem. Unfortunately, by U.S. Federal Law, Automotive Dealers (all brands, not only Ford) are independent franchises and Ford has very little control over what they do or do not sell, how much they sell it for, etc etc.

Therefore, any automotive Dealer is free to sell either the "Ford ESP Plan" or a third party extended service plan. There is no way for "corporate" Ford to verify which plan the Dealer is selling to a customer. The customer (in this case us) must ask the questions and read the contract.

I would use this analogy (a loose analogy, but it still applies): If I want to be sure that I am buying a Goodyear tire and not a generic brand tire from a tire store, I do not call Goodyear Corporate Headquarters to ask what the tire store is selling me. An individual sitting in a Goodyear call center can not verify what I am being sold. They can only verify whether the tire store I am buying from is a certified Goodyear Dealer. The Tire Dealer is still free to sell me something else though. So I need to read the contract and look at what the side of the tire says.

"ESP Plan" is a Ford trademark concerning extended service plans and a Ford ESP Plan has a unique contract furnished by Ford to the Dealership. As buyers, we need to do our homework and be sure we are getting what we ask and pay for. Ask the Troy Ford rep you are working with to send you a copy of the ESP contract (and Ford ESP brochures) so that you can verify what you are purchasing.

In addition, the prices at the Ford website are MSRP prices. So just as when buying a car, you should always be able to get a lower then MSRP price through Dealer negotiations (as you have found out). But again, you have to be sure you are getting what you paid for. This is one of the problems with phone call or Internet price quotes.

Perhaps if you post the website address and particular pages you are looking at, we can help you further.

PS - If "www.troy-ford-extended-warranty.com/" is the web address then it certainly looks as though they are selling the genuine Ford ESP Plan. That is what they claim and they even state that is all that is sold through the website. Here is a copy and paste:

This Ford Extended Warranty website is owned and operated by Troy Ford Inc. As a new car dealer, Troy Ford is authorized by Ford Motor Company to sell Ford ESPs. This website only offers Genuine Ford ESP contracts. Genuine Ford ESP contracts are honored at every Ford and Lincoln-Mercury dealership in the United States and Canada.

After purchasing a Ford ESP from this website, you will be emailed your official Ford ESP contract and all applicable documents. Your Ford ESP will then be registered with Ford Motor Company.

Again of course, you need to be your own policeman when purchasing, so read the contract they send to you very carefully.

Edited by bbf2530

Thanks very much for your patient explanation, bbf2530, and for offering another interesting perspective. I'll be sure to take your advice.

I didn't realize that I shouldn't have asked Ford to verify the validity of their dealers ESP product. I just assumed that since it's their $30k-plus, end-product, that they'd be eager and cooperative, to provide ACCURATE info, and that they'd have a keen interest to guarantee the accuracy and validity of such a significant by-product being sold, in support of their vehicles (I mean, we're talking about a one thousand dollar-plus, warranty, not a spark plug, or tire).

Since they have absolutely no responsibility in doing so, as you pointed out, then perhaps they should simply have stated so, end of discussion, INSTEAD of possibly giving misinformation that could unfairly compromise business for their dealerships, who are trying to earn a living by selling ESP Plans, and more importantly, are a major, significant by-product that does support their Ford vehicles, and their Ford customers.

In the end, and in the name of good business ethics, it's all about customer satisfaction, not just the bottom-line of business' competing for a sale of an ESP Plan. At least from my perspective.

Thanks very much for your patient explanation, bbf2530, and for offering another interesting perspective. I'll be sure to take your advice.

I didn't realize that I shouldn't have asked Ford to verify the validity of their dealers ESP product. I just assumed that since it's their $30k-plus, end-product, that they'd be eager and cooperative, to provide ACCURATE info, and that they'd have a keen interest to guarantee the accuracy and validity of such a significant by-product being sold, in support of their vehicles (I mean, we're talking about a one thousand dollar-plus, warranty, not a spark plug, or tire).

Since they have absolutely no responsibility in doing so, as you pointed out, then perhaps they should simply have stated so, end of discussion, INSTEAD of possibly giving misinformation that could unfairly compromise business for their dealerships, who are trying to earn a living by selling ESP Plans, and more importantly, are a major, significant by-product that does support their Ford vehicles, and their Ford customers.

In the end, and in the name of good business ethics, it's all about customer satisfaction, not just the bottom-line of business' competing for a sale of an ESP Plan. At least from my perspective.

Hi wnyvet. :D Please understand that I am trying to help you (as I have in the past), not argue or debate. I do not frequent this forum to argue or debate with people. I can certainly get enough of that in real life, so I don't seek it on the Internet. :blah: I simply am a forum member to provide information to and answer the questions of other members. So, that now hopefully being made clear...

So first (jokingly), I would like to thank you for your patient, yet mildly passive aggressive re-explanation of your perspective (again, just trying to keep it light)! :hysterical:

Next: Wouldn't it make more sense to have Troy Ford send you the contract (as their website states they do) and read it, instead of going through all of this Internet and Corporate phone call grief? It would just seem to be more productive to simply get your hands on the contract from Troy Ford and read it. If the contract states that the extended warranty is written for and administered by the Ford ESP Plan, then you are all set. If it states otherwise...

I understand your frustration, but it is misplaced. Concerning the "disinformation": You may have had the bad luck of getting an incompetent Customer Service Rep. But I can't tell from here. Concerning Ford verifying what type of contract you are being offered: This situation is the same with any automaker. Neither Ford or any automaker can verify what is written on a contract you are going to sign. In this case, a contract that has not even been written or sent to you yet. And to make it clear, I am giving you the same information/advice that I myself would need to follow when I purchase an extended warranty or sign any contract: I have to read it myself to protect myself.

You had questions and we are trying to help. So however any of us may feel to the contrary...we (the customer) are the ones signing the contracts, so we must be our own policeman. Dealers are independent franchises and can sell both types of extended warranty contracts, Ford ESP and third party. How is someone in a Corporate office a thousand miles away going to know which one I am signing a contract for?

And please, to keep things honest, do not attribute statements to me that I did not make. Nowhere did I state that (in your words) "they (Ford) have absolutely no responsibility in doing so, as you pointed out...". What I said was that it is logistically impossible for Ford (or any automaker) to verify what contract you are signing. Those are two distinct and very different statements. It would be great if they could, but it is logistically impossible.

All Corporate Ford can tell us is whether a Dealer is allowed to sell Genuine Ford ESP Plans. And the fact is that every Dealer can sell Genuine Ford ESP Plans. And they can sell independent third party extended warranties. And only the customer can see what is written on the contract in front of them

In addition, you did not even address the information I inquired about concerning Troy Ford. Is this address, "www.troy-ford-extended-warranty.com" the one you are describing? Because if it is, it clearly states that they only sell the Ford ESP Plan.

If it is not the correct one, it would be helpful to let us know the correct one. And if it is the correct one, again, they clearly state that all they sell is the Ford ESP Plan, so your questions should be answered and we should not even need to discuss this further. At this point, which is it?

If you would like assistance with your questions/problem, I am more than willing to help. However, I do not want to debate "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin". Federal franchise laws are what they are. And we as consumers have a certain amount of personal responsibility to protect ourselves. Considering the career background that you have described in your initial posts and in PM's to me I would expect you of all people to understand that. No individual in a Corporate office, from any automaker, can tell you what contract you are signing when it is in front of you.

If I can constructively help you with any questions, feel free to ask.

Edited by bbf2530

Hey bbf2530, I know that you're trying to help. You did help, you are continuing to do so, and I THANK YOU, once again.

Honestly, did not intend for my posting to sound confrontational towards you personally, in any way. I understand wholeheartedly where you came from. For the record, I wasn't attempting to debate, either. Rather, just expressed my thoughts aloud, in general, about an issue that was probably just a simple misunderstanding between that Ford Rep, and I. Never should have brought it public, in the first place. Should'a just initially asked if anyone bought that ESP product from Troy, and if so, were they satisfied that it was Ford-backed, and not an independent.

Upon further review from that site (yes, the one you mentioned), it certainly does look legit. My initial cynicism resulted from a price comparison amongst a few of the ESP's I found on the web. Troy's is advertised below all those I found, and way, waaaay lower than those advertised at Ford's site ($580 less, for the 7 year/100k deal). Just sounded too good to be true.

Rest assured, I'm more than capable of handling life's challenges on my own. However, I admittedly got caught up in the exuberance of my awesome new ride, and this wonderful forum, and thought I'd lean on some fellow comrades for support. Sorry that I apparently (unintentionally) stepped on your toes, sir. :doh:

I've ranted long enough. :soapbox: Over and out.

Hi wnyvet. :D No offense taken, wnyvet. I know what it is like to get caught up in the new car excitement. I was only trying to get you to be less unhappy about what was happening and look at it from a "fresher perspective".

Like you, I have more "years" experience than many people here (different than yours, but full nonetheless). And as I always mention to people (especially at times like this), it is always best to be face to face when having discussions, since it is often difficult interpreting the written word. We can not see the emotion or expression on a persons face when we are left to only read their typed comments. But this being the Internet, we are limited in that scope.

Again, absolutely no offense taken, and I am still happy to answer any questions you may have along the way. So always feel free to lean on some fellow comrades. :party:

Edited by bbf2530

Without trying to :beatdeadhorse: , I got this follow-up email today from Ford, verifying what we'd already pretty much concluded:

"Dear Sir,

I have researched your inquiry further and I apologize for the delay in my response. Please be advised that the Ford Extended Service Plan (ESP) Troy Ford is selling, are authorized Ford ESP contracts. I apologize for my previous miscommunication, and hope that this incident has not tarnished your loyalty to Ford Motor Company. Once again, we appreciate your inquiry and would like you to know, it is always a pleasure to be of assistance to enthusiastic and loyal Ford customers such as yourself.

Sincerely, Julienne

Customer Relationship Center

Ford Motor Company"

That was certainly very nice of them to accept ownership of, and retract their initial, miscommunicated statement, which originally contradicted the validity of a dealers ESP. Of course my loyalty remains untarnished. Quite the contrary; I respect and appreciate that they demonstrated initiative and the concern to follow through with a matter that may have been outside of their normal realm of responsibility.

Anyone interested in a decent-priced ESP, check out http://www.troy-ford-extended-warranty.com/

Another option listed above, http://www.myfordwarranty.com , seems to be a little cheaper. I've seen a lot of recommendations for this website.

They too look like a valid Ford dealer.. "Flood Auto Group, your RI Ford Lincoln-Mercury and Mazda Dealer."

I compared Troy to Flood...

PremiumCare 7 Year 60000 miles w/ 50 deductible

Troy $865

Flood $785

I'll see if my local Dealer will match Flood's price.

--

Michael

I compared Troy to Flood...

PremiumCare 7 Year 60000 miles w/ 50 deductible

Troy $865

Flood $785

--

Michael

Thanks for the great info, Michael! Just checked, but could not find where you got the $785 deal at Floods? Maybe it's a territorial discount of sorts? Based upon the charts I looked at, and considering a new 2010 Fusion in TN:

PremiumCare 7 Year/60k miles/$50 deductible:

Troy $865 ($20 winner)

Flood $885

PremiumCare 7 Year/60k miles/$100 deductible:

Troy $865

Flood $835 ($30 winner)

PremiumCare 7 Year/100k miles/$50 deductible:

Troy $1260 ($95 winner)

Flood $1355

PremiumCare 7 Year/100k miles /$100 deductible:

Troy $1260

Flood $1230 ($30 winner)

Funny thing...I'm in North Carolina....just re checked here are the Flood prices. Wonder why there's a $100 discount for NC.

7yr/60K

0 Deductible

$915

50 Deductible

$785

100 Deductible

$735

200 Deductible

NA

7yr/100K

0 Deductible

$1585