2010 Escape Hybrid Powertrain upgrades?

bigjohn500

2010 Escape Hybrid Powertrain upgrades?

Will there be any?

I think between 2008 and 2009 the mph that you could drive on batteries was raised.

Will anything such as this happen between 2009 and 2010.

Also if we can't use all of the Hybrid tax credit on our 2009 taxes, can it be carried over to 2010 taxes?

Thanks Much!!

Edited by bigjohn500

Every year of the Hybrid there has been some kind of upgrade, but it looks like for 2010 the major upgrades will be a new dash and a return of disc brakes all around. In another year or so, Ford should have the plug-in version ready, which will be a major powertrain upgrade.

Every year of the Hybrid there has been some kind of upgrade, but it looks like for 2010 the major upgrades will be a new dash and a return of disc brakes all around. In another year or so, Ford should have the plug-in version ready, which will be a major powertrain upgrade.

This link:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...ost&id=9260

is the order guide for the 2010 Escape and Escape Hybrid. Sorry to say but these vehicle retain the front disc and rear drum brakes. I do not see any power train upgrades. The Plug-In version is scheduled for model year 2012 which could mean a release in 2011 or 2012.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The hybrid changes are NOT reflected on the 2010 Escape Hybrid order guide posted on this site. The article (http://www.autobloggreen.com/2009/07/22/20...y-and-software/ ) is not accurate.

Big improvements IMO

2010 Ford Escape Hybrid/Mercury Mariner Hybrid To Use More Efficient Battery

July 22, 2009

The 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid and its sister vehicle, the Mercury Mariner Hybrid, will be using a smaller, lighter nickel-metal hydride battery with 20-percent more power sourced from the development of the Ford Fusion Hybrid/Mercury Milan Hybrid. Improved battery chemistry will allow the battery to operate at a higher temperature while staying cooled by cabin air. Other benefits from continual hybrid vehicle development include a variable voltage converter, smarter climate control, electric air conditioning compressor, an enhanced electronic throttle control, and a more efficient regenerative brake system. Fuel economy remains unchanged for the Escape and Mariner pair at 34 city/31 highway.

Source: Ford

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/20...tery/index.html

Big improvements IMO

2010 Ford Escape Hybrid/Mercury Mariner Hybrid To Use More Efficient Battery

July 22, 2009

The 2010 Ford Escape Hybrid and its sister vehicle, the Mercury Mariner Hybrid, will be using a smaller, lighter nickel-metal hydride battery with 20-percent more power sourced from the development of the Ford Fusion Hybrid/Mercury Milan Hybrid. Improved battery chemistry will allow the battery to operate at a higher temperature while staying cooled by cabin air. Other benefits from continual hybrid vehicle development include a variable voltage converter, smarter climate control, electric air conditioning compressor, an enhanced electronic throttle control, and a more efficient regenerative brake system. Fuel economy remains unchanged for the Escape and Mariner pair at 34 city/31 highway.

Source: Ford

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/news/20...tery/index.html

A warmer battery delivers more power. Just exactly what I said in "you know what" forum as was I told that I was wrong!

A warmer battery delivers more power. Just exactly what I said in "you know what" forum as was I told that I was wrong!

Hi Bill

I saw that thread on GH but I don't post there anymore. You're pretty smart IMO but look in the workshop manual under HV battery as to the ideal battery temperature. I will confirm what the manual states as to the best operating temperature and to hot or to cold can reduce MPG. Driving the FEH for the maximum MPG becomes a challenge with both the engine performance and the battery performance with charging and discharging temperatures. Unfortunately, I have no competition at this point to trade ideas about what we feel works the best. Those yahoos on GH have no clue and recommend high ethanol % and extreme towing that will violate warranties that I have no use for.

Tomorrow, I will continue to get great mileage with my heat and conditions and you can bet I watch battery temperature and MPG. The '09 does not get the extreme fast charge as the '05 FEH and does not get near as hot. How cool, 53mpg in 92F weather!

Hi Bill

I saw that thread on GH but I don't post there anymore. You're pretty smart IMO but look in the workshop manual under HV battery as to the ideal battery temperature. I will confirm what the manual states as to the best operating temperature and to hot or to cold can reduce MPG. Driving the FEH for the maximum MPG becomes a challenge with both the engine performance and the battery performance with charging and discharging temperatures. Unfortunately, I have no competition at this point to trade ideas about what we feel works the best. Those yahoos on GH have no clue and recommend high ethanol % and extreme towing that will violate warranties that I have no use for.

Tomorrow, I will continue to get great mileage with my heat and conditions and you can bet I watch battery temperature and MPG. The '09 does not get the extreme fast charge as the '05 FEH and does not get near as hot. How cool, 53mpg in 92F weather!

Gary:

That's some bunch over there. I hesitate to post anything there anymore. Full lurk-mode is in order. Just a good place to get a good laugh.

I once had a Dodge pickup towing a boat trailer driven by an idiot cause a accident 50 yards ahead of me on a x-way! The guy tried to shoot ahead of a slow moving van but forgot about the trailer and clipped the van. The trailer swung around, turning the truck 180 deg, coming to a stop facing the van against the median. Why they didn't loose the trailer or roll, I don't know. It must have been the most perfectl setup of a truck and trailer ever!!

I was still shaking when I got home fifteen minutes later and thought that I was going to upchuck!

fehsoc292.jpg

:shades:

MyPart (Chris) was right with his post after yours Billy. The key has to be On to drain down the HV battery to 29%. Even the 12V system will stop discharging after 10 minutes unless the key is cycled On and Off. The 12V system does provide limited continuous power for things like the clock, alarm and KAM in the Key Off position. If you kept turning the Key ON and Off to check power, the HV battery could be drained that low by the D/C to D/C converter recharging the 12V battery after the dome lights go On for ten minutes at a time and the electric brake compressor activates. If you didn't cycle the Key you may have had a relay problem not shutting down the PCM correctly. Did you disconnect a 12V battery ground? That would also not let the relay properly shutdown the PCM and power could drain through the PCM to the other 12V systems via the D/C to D/C converter and HV battery. Bingo! Houston, I think we solved the problem!