How High-tech Tools Improve Quality

Very nice video. I hope they make it into a television commercial.

The one technology I want to see is the automatic gauging of the engine valve stem to the as yet uninstalled camshaft, on a per valve basis, so the the valve "bucket" with the correct thickness can be installed before the camshaft. They have one chnage to do it right.

Technology like this was discussed as the Modular was being designed. Manufacturing engineers said "It can't be done", hence the roller finger follower, hydraulic lash adjuster. They were proved wrong a few years later.

Also old farts (like me) remember how doors used to be installed (it wasn't pretty; dead blow hammer and 2x4's). Once it was "right" you never wanted to touch it. Now, they fit the door, remove it, paint it, dress it and slap it back on. Amazing !

Edited by theoldwizard

The one technology I want to see is the automatic gauging of the engine valve stem to the as yet uninstalled camshaft, on a per valve basis, so the the valve "bucket" with the correct thickness can be installed before the camshaft. They have one chnage to do it right.
I've seen it at DEP and ChEP. Neat machine but also very expensive. Measures the cam too (base circle to journal). Seem to also recall it checking the graded tappet's thickness as well. Edited by procyon

What happens when the computer monitor says "No" and the screen goes blank with a BON grey screen of death. Will Quality Control allow production line to continue or will the Taurus line be halted untill its fixed. Blue Alert Bulb's been blown for the last 3 shifts nobody bothered to check it. Gun/computer goes out of calibration how would you know?

It's still no guarantee the bolts gone in cross threaded, picks up shit on the thread, wrong length bolts bottomed out, washers or spacers left out, the guys in the video seemed more interested in looking at the monitor than concentrating on the job task at hand. With thousands of fasteners going into each car how much time is wasted looking at the monitors all day.

Lazy joe can't get an awkward fastener in, whats stopping him overiding the system by re-torque loading another fastner he fitted in another position again and throwing the bolt out the window over his shoulder?

How many dashboards went though Quality Control unattached before Ford installed this equipment, how much does it all cost?

I bet the time in motion guys will like checking your torque loadings see how many you done on a shift.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Gun/computer goes out of calibration how would you know?

It is calibrated every shift. Calibration is registered into "master" computer.

It's still no guarantee the bolts gone in cross threaded, picks up shit on the thread, wrong length bolts bottomed out, washers or spacers left out,

Actually, all of those conditions would show up as an under/over torque or too many turns (yes, it counts the number of turns).

the guys in the video seemed more interested in looking at the monitor than concentrating on the job task at hand. With thousands of fasteners going into each car how much time is wasted looking at the monitors all day.

Because that what he has been trained to do. They probably only check it once, after all are installed.

Lazy joe can't get an awkward fastener in, whats stopping him overiding the system by re-torque loading another fastner he fitted in another position again and throwing the bolt out the window over his shoulder?

Who says the system can be over-ridden ? I'm not saying it is going to stop the line, but there will be a red flag in the master computer that a fastener was installed wrong. Many of those and the worker will have a lot of explaining to do !

How many dashboards went though Quality Control unattached before Ford installed this equipment, how much does it all cost?

God question. I doubt many went out the door minus and bolts, but knowing that they are all torqued correctly may prevent long term rattles.