SiCKO

When people have insurance they tend to get more medical care than people that don't. Like check ups, colonoscopies, cat scans, and the like. See when you have insurance you tend to get healthcare more often. I know people with injuries who do not get them tended to because they don't have insurance and do not want to go to the ER and deal with hospitals harrassing them for money and eventually filing a judgement against them they cannot pay.

Read this:

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/02/22/87395/start-from-scratch-on-health-care.html

That sounds a lot like me. My health care is paid for, but if I want to actually use it, my day is shot. I will spend it in a crowded waiting room, exposing myself to lord knows what germs, and taking a huge risk of being mis-diagnosed for some new trendy political "illness" or just plain mis-diagnosed because the one seeing me is too rushed to do a proper check. The only way I would go to an emergency clinic in Canada is if I collapsed and did not come to before the ambulance reached the hospital. I actually once did regain consciousness on a stretcher after a car crash in which I was a passenger, and jumped off before they got me through the ambulance doors and took off.

Ok...then let's go back to my original question...who pays for this "public option"?

[/qu

It is insurance. The people paying into it are the people using it. You pay a premium.

Ok, I'll try this from another direction......if these people are going to pay premiums, why not just do that now and go out and get their own insurance..................what you are obviously trying to avoid is the fact that our taxes are going to go up to pay for other peoples' insurance......I have a problem with that......

And?

you must not know how to read.

Eligibility Requirements for State Welfare Program

Eligibility for a Welfare program depends on numerous factors. Eligibility is determined using gross and net income, size of the family, and any crisis situation such as medical emergencies, pregnancy, homelessness or unemployment. A case worker is assigned to those applying for aid. They will gather all the necessary information to determine the amount and type of benefits that an individual is eligible for.

The Federal government provides assistance through TANF (Temporary Assistance for Needy Families). TANF is a grant given to each state to run their own welfare program. To help overcome the former problem of unemployment due to reliance on the welfare system, the TANF grant requires that all recipients of welfare aid must find work within two years of receiving aid, including single parents who are required to work at least 30 hours per week opposed to 35 or 55 required by two parent families. Failure to comply with work requirements could result in loss of benefits.

ame='partsisparts' date='24 February 2010 - 12:21 AM' timestamp='1266988917' post='598359']

Ok, I'll try this from another direction......if these people are going to pay premiums, why not just do that now and go out and get their own insurance..................what you are obviously trying to avoid is the fact that our taxes are going to go up to pay for other peoples' insurance......I have a problem with that......

The only reason you have a problem with it, is because your medical benefits are already provided for you from Ford. If you were less fortunate, and had to pay out of pocket for your policy you would be supporting health care reform. You don't have a problem with other people paying your premiums, so why do you care if taxes pay for other peoples. Simple your afraid that you might have to contribute to fund care that you already get for free, The stupid part is that your employer is already paying for others services through higher premiums due to the hospitals over billing to cover their costs for services to those who they cannot collect money from!

Why is it O.K. for someone else to pay for your medical, and it's not O.K. for others? If everyone was contributing involuntarily, then the cost of your premiums to your employer would come down. If it is built in to the tax code everyone would be contributing, and it would lesson the burden on those who already pay voluntarily. If the cost was based on a % of your gross income, and already collected from the employer VIA income tax and through ecise you wouldn't know the difference. Then since your employer is no longer purchasing your insurance, you can negotiate better wages. U.S. Ford workers make $28.00 an hour, while Canadian Ford workers make $33.00 an hour. This because Ford does not have to pay for their medical care, not to mention the company doesn't have to negotiate premiums. Ford saves money, and the headache by not even having to deal with insurers!

Edited by Furious1Auto

ame='partsisparts' date='24 February 2010 - 12:21 AM' timestamp='1266988917' post='598359']

Because the public option would be far more affordable than the rip off we are getting from the insurance companies.

I don't care if they raise taxes. I am successful and so is my wife,if it costs me a couple of bucks I really don't care. If we are helping people our fellow Americans than so be it. That is what I don't understand, the repubs wave the flag but when it really comes down to helping Americans, Americans in need, they don't. Why? Because they are the screw'em I'm rich party.

The only reason you have a problem with it, is because your medical benefits are already provided for you from Ford. If you were less fortunate, and had to pay out of pocket for your policy you would be supporting health care reform. You don't have a problem with other people paying your premiums, so why do you care if taxes pay for other peoples. Simple your afraid that you might have to contribute to fund care that you already get for free, The stupid part is that your employer is already paying for others services through higher premiums due to the hospitals over billing to cover their costs for services to those who they cannot collect money from!

Why is it O.K. for someone else to pay for your medical, and it's not O.K. for others? If everyone was contributing involuntarily, then the cost of your premiums to your employer would come down. If it is built in to the tax code everyone would be contributing, and it would lesson the burden on those who already pay voluntarily. If the cost was based on a % of your gross income, and already collected from the employer VIA income tax and through ecise you wouldn't know the difference. Then since your employer is no longer purchasing your insurance, you can negotiate better wages. U.S. Ford workers make $28.00 an hour, while Canadian Ford workers make $33.00 an hour. This because Ford does not have to pay for their medical care, not to mention the company doesn't have to negotiate premiums. Ford saves money, and the headache by not even having to deal with insurers!

Furious you are dead on!

Here is something from those nice people in the health insurance biz:

http://thinkprogress.org/2010/02/24/report-wellpoint/

BTW nap, virginia is on their list!

I read it, it looks like the insurance industry is raising their rates to try and recoup the money they spent last year lobbying to block healthcare reform. They pissed away almost $400,000,000 on political campaign contributions to maintain their ability to screw their customers, and now they want their customers to reimburse them WTF. They see they have congress in the bag, and because they are no longer fearful of reform they are going to push their extortion even further. Congress allowing this, is just as bad as the fuel company extortion!

I worked for 35 years at Ford ...so I worked for those benefits.....unlike the bottom 50% of wage earners in this country who pay NO TAXES.................the gov has no right to take money from me to pay for someone elses healthcare.....if you want to pay for someone else.....I suggest you run an ad in your local paper, find someone without H/C and buy it for them.......

I worked for 35 years at Ford ...so I worked for those benefits.....unlike the bottom 50% of wage earners in this country who pay NO TAXES.................the gov has no right to take money from me to pay for someone elses healthcare.....if you want to pay for someone else.....I suggest you run an ad in your local paper, find someone without H/C and buy it for them.......

Wait a min. now you are saying that because you have been privileged with a 30 year pension, that you are entitled to free medical. So what about people that don't have a defined pension plan after they have worked 30+ years. Why should you be entitled, while they are not. How about people that work full time, and their emploer doesn't even provide their active workers with medical coverage. I feel so bad that you now get payed to sit at home, and you think that you earned everything you are provided with! Allot of people worked just as long, and as hard as you, and still don't have what you do, didn't they earn it also? I finally got you to admit you were a Ford worker, and now I know you are a retiree. So as a retiree, how did you like the hosing you got on your VEBA medical coverages? Yes you and all the other retirees in the ford benefit system got screwed with reduced coverage levels. Don't you understand that a single payer healthcare system would provide you with better coverage, while allowing the VEBA to be diverted to securing the retirees, they could instate a COLA with those funds. If it keeps up the way it is, the VEBA committee will whitness the fund becoming insolvent, and continue to reduce your coverage levels.

Your worried about taxes, huh! What about the difference you are already paying since the first of the year, and since the union took over the retirees healthcare liability. At least you can vote against politicians that don't do their job, but you have no vote over what the CEO's working in the insurance industry do!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Wait a min. now you are saying that because you have been privileged with a 30 year pension, that you are entitled to free medical. So what about people that don't have a defined pension plan after they have worked 30+ years. Why should you be entitled, while they are not. I finally got you to admit you were a Ford worker, so now I know you are a retiree. So as a retiree, how did you like the hosing you got on your VEBA medical coverages? Yes you and all the other retirees in the ford benefit system got screwed with reduced coverage levels. Don't you understand that a single payer healthcare system would provide you with better coverage, while allowing the VEBA to be diverted to securing the retirees, they could instate a COLA with those funds. If it keeps up the way it is, the VEBA committee will whitness the fund becoming insolvent, and continue to reduce your coverage levels.

Your worried about taxes, huh! What about the difference you are already paying since the first of the year, and since the union took over the retirees healthcare liability. At least you can vote against politicians that don't do their job, but you have no vote over what the CEO's working in the insurance industry do!

What makes this so hard for you to understand?......there is huge difference in working 35 years and expecting a pension and H/C and doing absolutly nothing and expecting the same thing...............if you think these people are deserving, then by all means start contributing to them......but don't require me to also......

Wait a min. now you are saying that because you have been privileged with a 30 year pension, that you are entitled to free medical. So what about people that don't have a defined pension plan after they have worked 30+ years. Why should you be entitled, while they are not. How about people that work full time, and their emploer doesn't even provide their active workers with medical coverage. I feel so bad that you now get payed to sit at home, and you think that you earned everything you are provided with! Allot of people worked just as long, and as hard as you, and still don't have what you do, didn't they earn it also? I finally got you to admit you were a Ford worker, and now I know you are a retiree. So as a retiree, how did you like the hosing you got on your VEBA medical coverages? Yes you and all the other retirees in the ford benefit system got screwed with reduced coverage levels. Don't you understand that a single payer healthcare system would provide you with better coverage, while allowing the VEBA to be diverted to securing the retirees, they could instate a COLA with those funds. If it keeps up the way it is, the VEBA committee will whitness the fund becoming insolvent, and continue to reduce your coverage levels.

What better coverage would be provided? What happens to the level of service?

We as people do have a vote on the CEO's. What if everyone aws to drop it? Would they just close up shop? Would they lower prices?

What would the doctors do if people quit going?

Put it in a true free market.

Edited by fmccap

What makes this so hard for you to understand?......there is huge difference in working 35 years and expecting a pension and H/C and doing absolutly nothing and expecting the same thing...............if you think these people are deserving, then by all means start contributing to them......but don't require me to also......

I don't think you realize MOST PEOPLE do not get the benefits that we get. Say you were a truck driver for 35 years and when you retired you got a gold watch and a handshake. Now you are on social security and medicare. That's it unless you have some money saved. This is the situation most people are in. The next time you go to department store ask the clerk who is waiting on you about their benefits and retirement program. You need to come out of your little bubble and see the real world. And stop watching Fox News.

Here's what you keep with a sigle-payer system:

Stafford Hospital caused ‘unimaginable suffering’

An independent inquiry found that managers at Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust stopped providing safe care because they were preoccupied with government targets and cutting costs

Link

What better coverage would be provided? What happens to the level of service?

We as people do have a vote on the CEO's. What if everyone aws to drop it? Would they just close up shop? Would they lower prices?

What would the doctors do if people quit going?

Put it in a true free market.

Good idea leave it to the corporations to set the price, they have done a fine job so far! Cap you are nuts if you think that elderly people are going to give up their coverages, some would die within a couple of weeks. and if they lived, they would be subjected to losing coverage for their condition because it had been diagnosed then allowed their coverage to lapse. Have you ever heard the term "pre-existing condition"? If you had a heart condition would you give up your nitro pills for a couple of months to make a statement.

Edited by Furious1Auto

How do you like Michigan Blue Cross Blue Shield TCN. It is only going to get worse.

I don't think you realize MOST PEOPLE do not get the benefits that we get. Say you were a truck driver for 35 years and when you retired you got a gold watch and a handshake. Now you are on social security and medicare. That's it unless you have some money saved. This is the situation most people are in. The next time you go to department store ask the clerk who is waiting on you about their benefits and retirement program. You need to come out of your little bubble and see the real world. And stop watching Fox News.

Taking your logic a bit further, why not divide everything up equally in the whole country? Then everybody would stop working hard, because what would be the point? That is what happened to the Soviet Union which practiced what you are preaching. It collapsed. So what is the solution? Ask yourself why it is that the store clerk is working like a slave and can't get a good paying job. Maybe it is because there is too much money going to the government, so there is not enough for the real economy. The price of everything you buy is half or more government cost from some supplier being passed along to the consumer. Real disposable income is reduced by half because of payroll deductions plus taxes when you spend it. Because of the size of government, we have to scratch for a living. Competition for scarce jobs forces wages lower. If we got rid of much of government and were allowed to spend our own money, and consumer goods were not loaded with government costs, we would have more than double our disposable income. There would be demand for workers, and wages would be forced higher. You can't solve the problem by going to the ones who are the problem, the government. Now you want government to take over health care so everybody will be covered. This will just make it harder for the people on the bottom. As the government sucks more money out, the smart people will figure out a way to survive. The ones who can't will be in worse shape than they are now, but, hey, they will get free health care. They will need it because of all of the illness caused by malnutrition.

So in your world we are responsible for "MOST PEOPLE" as you call them and their lack of H/C........those people made choices whether is was to take a job as a truck driver, a retail clerk or a burger flipper........and if they did not plan for their future ...again not my problem...................if you want to take help them, have at it....find a family and buy them H/C

So in your world we are responsible for "MOST PEOPLE" as you call them and their lack of H/C........those people made choices whether is was to take a job as a truck driver, a retail clerk or a burger flipper........and if they did not plan for their future ...again not my problem...................if you want to take help them, have at it....find a family and buy them H/C

Sorry you are in the minority, thank god that legislation is passed by "Most People" or the majority. Unfortunately the 40 year old burger flipper didn't have better opportunities, otherwise he would have chosen to have a better job. Maybe he wasn't lucky enough to retire before his job was outsourced because of your generation buying foreign autos. Maybe that is the only job he could find once he lost his? But somehow you, and everyone else from the boomer generation think you they are entitled to more then the next generation. For years I listened to you people talk about how tough it is going to be for people from my generation, and how you felt bad for us, palleeese! Guess what, the boomers are dying off, and your successors are not only becoming the majority,"Most People" but they are also being denied things that you "have earned". The worst part of this whole turn of events, is that even you will benefit from healthcare reform to shore up your own security. The problem is that you are too ignorant & bull headed to see it, and too stupid to understand it when people explain it to you.

What you don't trust, am I part of some organization devoted to taking your money away? WTF man, don't worry about losing a few pennies now to secure your own financial stability long term. If you get sick in the future, (which you will) you will thank yourself later. People that cling too tightly to their dollar today miss opportunities to save money long term. Your medical coverage has already been reduced to 80/20 and they have just begun to modify your medical coverage. As the costs continue to climb so will the costs to you, and as the VEBA committee continues to reevaluate, your coverage levels will continue to go down. The VEBA comittee's sole purpose is to see that the fund remains solvent, and to make adjustments at your expense to protect the fund and extend it's life. Nothing more, and nothing less! If you were at the retiree benefits reduction informational meeting, this should be very obvious to you at this point.

I suspect that you are lying about ever working at Ford, and the only reason you made the statement is because I called you out. If you are really who you say, you would already know that much of what I am telling you is the truth. Who are you really, and why is a non-Ford employee/retiree posting in the employee section? Is it that you don't know and understand the VEBA because you were never employed by Ford? I know it's not because you don't stay involved, because you get engaged in every political issue pertaining to the government on this site, whether you know what you are talking about or not!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Sorry you are in the minority, thank god that legislation is passed by "Most People" or the majority. Unfortunately the 40 year old burger flipper didn't have better opportunities, otherwise he would have chosen to have a better job. Maybe he wasn't lucky enough to retire before his job was outsourced because of your generation buying foreign autos. Maybe that is the only job he could find once he lost his? But somehow you, and everyone else from the boomer generation think you they are entitled to more then the next generation. For years I listened to you people talk about how tough it is going to be for people from my generation, and how you felt bad for us, palleeese! Guess what, the boomers are dying off, and your successors are not only becoming the majority,"Most People" but they are also being denied things that you "have earned". The worst part of this whole turn of events, is that even you will benefit from healthcare reform to shore up your own security. The problem is that you are too ignorant & bull headed to see it, and too stupid to understand it when people explain it to you.

What you don't trust, am I part of some organization devoted to taking your money away? WTF man, don't worry about losing a few pennies now to secure your own financial stability long term. If you get sick in the future, (which you will) you will thank yourself later. People that cling too tightly to their dollar today miss opportunities to save money long term. Your medical coverage has already been reduced to 80/20 and they have just begun to modify your medical coverage. As the costs continue to climb so will the costs to you, and as the VEBA committee continues to reevaluate, your coverage levels will continue to go down. The VEBA comittee's sole purpose is to see that the fund remains solvent, and to make adjustments at your expense to protect the fund and extend it's life. Nothing more, and nothing less! If you were at the retiree benefits reduction informational meeting, this should be very obvious to you at this point.

I suspect that you are lying about ever working at Ford, and the only reason you made the statement is because I called you out. If you are really who you say, you would already know that much of what I am telling you is the truth. Who are you really, and why is a non-Ford employee/retiree posting in the employee section? Is it that you don't know and understand the VEBA because you were never employed by Ford? I know it's not because you don't stay involved, because you get engaged in every political issue pertaining to the government on this site, whether you know what you are talking about or not!

What a prejudice prick you are!...................so you don't like boomers...if it weren't for us you'd still be hanging tires with your back, or setting glass by hand instead of robots or eating overspray in those poorly ventilated booths...........things I was doing when you were just a twinkle in you Mother's eyes..........don't worry about my financial future, I took care of that years ago......I worked for it......planned for it....without expecting a government handout like you......expecting someone else to foot the bill for lack of planning or poor choices that I may or may not make....it's called personal responsibilty....look it up, you obviously don't know what it means....

What a prejudice prick you are!...................so you don't like boomers...if it weren't for us you'd still be hanging tires with your back, or setting glass by hand instead of robots or eating overspray in those poorly ventilated booths...........things I was doing when you were just a twinkle in you Mother's eyes..........don't worry about my financial future, I took care of that years ago......I worked for it......planned for it....without expecting a government handout like you......expecting someone else to foot the bill for lack of planning or poor choices that I may or may not make....it's called personal responsibilty....look it up, you obviously don't know what it means....

Yep, I do have a problem with your generations sense of entitlement, and yep the opportunities that once existed in your era are now gone. If that makes me prejudice then you are right. If the people from the generations that have come after yours had the opportunities that you were afforded you, we would not even be having this discussion. They would have the means to also be able to "earn it" it. No privatized employers offer pensions to the new hires anymore, to include Ford. No companies pay what the auto manufacturers do per hour, not even Ford GM, or Chrysler to their new hires. So Mr. Nap, how can you point at a man that has put as much effort into his job as you did, while it pays nothing and say it is bad planning. You just are so full of yourself thinking it was your smart planning that put you into the position your in, when it was really just a matter of opportunity. You speak as though our generation owes you something just for working during the time these jobs were eliminated to automation. You didn't do me any favors, thanks for giving jobs away to preserve your own compensation! "If it weren't for us" save it, your generation has sold ours out and you are due no thanks.

Do you think Ford might have played a role in providing you security? I personally know people that don't even know how to read, that live nice in their retirement from Ford. Believe me it is not your superior intellect that has bought you anything. When our generation doesn't have the opportunity to "earn it" are we suppose to go without? I suppose as long as you feel secure who cares about anyone else right? The day that SSI becomes insolvent, and I cannot collect my benefits, I will end my contributions to it's funding. I'm sure I won't be the only one either. I payed in for me to be able to collect, and to support you!

I also "earned it"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Furious1Auto

Excellent conservative response. Did Rush Limbaugh write it for you? It is that attitude that will keep you conservatives out of power for a long time. I am wondering if you are arrogant or just plain old cheap. I think a little of both.

Once again you conservatives wave the flag all over the place but when it comes down to helping Americans you say Fuck them. I have it and so should they. It is always their fault why they don't have what I have. I have a nephew thet had Hodkins disease 2 years ago. He went to college, had a good job nice house all the trimmings. His insurance paid for his treatment and as soon as he got well they dropped him. He has tried but no one will give him insurance. He and his wife want to have a baby now , but cannot because of the lack of insurance.

Health care in a country like ours should not be a luxury it should be a right. We are ranked 37th in the world in health care. That is an abomination! Our President is trying to do something about it but the party of Fuck You is spinning lies .

Yep, I do have a problem with your generations sense of entitlement, and yep the opportunities that once existed in your era are now gone. If that makes me prejudice then you are right. If the people from the generations that have come after yours had the opportunities that you were afforded you, we would not even be having this discussion. They would have the means to also be able to "earn it" it. No privatized employers offer pensions to the new hires anymore, to include Ford. No companies pay what the auto manufacturers do per hour, not even Ford GM, or Chrysler to their new hires. So Mr. Nap, how can you point at a man that has put as much effort into his job as you did, while it pays nothing and say it is bad planning. You just are so full of yourself thinking it was your smart planning that put you into the position your in, when it was really just a matter of opportunity. You speak as though our generation owes you something just for working during the time these jobs were eliminated to automation. You didn't do me any favors, thanks for giving jobs away to preserve your own compensation! "If it weren't for us" save it, your generation has sold ours out and you are due no thanks.

Do you think Ford might have played a role in providing you security? I personally know people that don't even know how to read, that live nice in their retirement from Ford. Believe me it is not your superior intellect that has bought you anything. When our generation doesn't have the opportunity to "earn it" are we suppose to go without? I suppose as long as you feel secure who cares about anyone else right? The day that SSI becomes insolvent, and I cannot collect my benefits, I will end my contributions to it's funding. I'm sure I won't be the only one either. I payed in for me to be able to collect, and to support you!

I also "earned it"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure if you can't read or it's a comprehension problem.......and you are right ..it is/was a matter of opportunity and I took advantage of it...worked 2 jobs....went to school at night......and those opportunities are still out there today, but people like you think that opportunity only comes from the government in the form of an entitlement.....all your generation wants to do is bitch and moan...complain, just like you did above...no one ever gave me anything that I didn't earn...your generation owes mine nothing....just stop whinning about the lack of opportunites.....when my wife and I were raising our sons most of the friends in our circle of friends made more money that I did working at Ford, some worked for the gov........some worked for private companies....so being an autoworker was nothing special..I worked much harder than most.......

Excellent conservative response. Did Rush Limbaugh write it for you? It is that attitude that will keep you conservatives out of power for a long time. I am wondering if you are arrogant or just plain old cheap. I think a little of both.

Once again you conservatives wave the flag all over the place but when it comes down to helping Americans you say Fuck them. I have it and so should they. It is always their fault why they don't have what I have. I have a nephew thet had Hodkins disease 2 years ago. He went to college, had a good job nice house all the trimmings. His insurance paid for his treatment and as soon as he got well they dropped him. He has tried but no one will give him insurance. He and his wife want to have a baby now , but cannot because of the lack of insurance.

Health care in a country like ours should not be a luxury it should be a right. We are ranked 37th in the world in health care. That is an abomination! Our President is trying to do something about it but the party of Fuck You is spinning lies .

Well at least you didn't let me down......both you and Furious have resorted to name calling......happens everytime you start to lose an argument on an intellectual level....you know like "stupid"...."cheap"..."arrogant"......"did Rush write it?"..all the usual comebacks

Sorry to hear about your nephew, but there is medicaid for those scenarios......

no sure if you can find a news sight on the internet but you might want to rethink your statement about conservatives losing power....remember Brown in Mass....took a senate seat held by dems for 60 years...and then there are the 2 recently elected Republican governor from Va. and NJ.....and if you look at the polling it shows the conservative may take back the senate and the house...so I'm not real sure where you get this notion about losing power

you didn't answer my question about helping a family without H/C....