Electric Transit Connect driving video

http://green.autoblog.com/2009/09/03/what-...sit-connect-be/

Here's a video from inside an electric transit, going onto the highway and up to 60mph.

The electric transit connect is already for sale in the UK as the Smith Ampere. Smith has been selling an electric full size Transit (Smith Edison) for over a year now, and its been doing duty as a grocery delivery van for many supermarkets.

Nice, but I'm not convinced plug-in electrics are the wave of the future. They've tried these before.

That's a pretty silly attitude. Yes they've tried these before, but the technology is evolving, it's called progress! This Transit Connect has li-ion batteries which can hold 4 times as much energy per kg as the lead-acid batteries in an EV1, and the batteries can have a lifetime of over 8 years, as opposed to 3 years or so for lead acid. And there are other promising electrical energy storage possibilities on the horizon. My masters thesis is an a completely new kind of battery that costs about a third as much as li-ion. ANd then there's EESTOR working on their crazy ultracapacitors. Yes they seem to be in the very early stages of development, and haven't shown anything close to a working prototype yet, but the tests they've disclosed to us so far suggest the possibility of capacitors that could hold even more energy/kg than li-ion at a small fraction of the price, and offer even longer cycle life. Sure that's a ways off in the future, but I'd say that even with currently available technology, we can make EVs that are perfectly adequate for a wide range of mainly urban needs.