Local President and 2 Officers of Local 400 are retired

Romeo400member

Effective in July the President of Local 400 retired and joined the other 2 Officers that had already retired. How can a President of a local retire and still hold his position? Why would someone retire and not leave? For the money, in this day and age when everyone else in this industry (excluding Company Executives) is taking pay cuts, these guys retire and make more money than when they were active!

Rumor on the floor is that there was an appeal sent to the International UAW complaining of this and apparently they are condoning it, because nothing is being done about it. How can they condone it and be in talks with the Company about reopening the contract for concessions for the rest of us???!!! Are these guys better than the rest of us? We have members in Local 400 and other locals that are laid off....If these positions were opened there would be 3 more jobs!

I am pretty sure a retiree can run for office of the local including prez. So what would be wrong with him holding the position. I dont think its a smart move if he still wants to be prez in a few years at next election. But you will only have one plant voting and have to overcome alot of retiree votes to oust him.

Good luck

Edited by duanesz

Effective in July the President of Local 400 retired and joined the other 2 Officers that had already retired. How can a President of a local retire and still hold his position? Why would someone retire and not leave? For the money, in this day and age when everyone else in this industry (excluding Company Executives) is taking pay cuts, these guys retire and make more money than when they were active!

Rumor on the floor is that there was an appeal sent to the International UAW complaining of this and apparently they are condoning it, because nothing is being done about it. How can they condone it and be in talks with the Company about reopening the contract for concessions for the rest of us???!!! Are these guys better than the rest of us? We have members in Local 400 and other locals that are laid off....If these positions were opened there would be 3 more jobs!

I believe that anybody elected to the executive board can stay on until next election, this would be president, vice presidents, trustees, guide, sgt. at arms, etc. The people who work in plant such as commitee people lose their jobs upon retirement.

I am pretty sure a retiree can run for office of the local including prez. So what would be wrong with him holding the position. I dont think its a smart move if he still wants to be prez in a few years at next election. But you will only have one plant voting and have to overcome alot of retiree votes to oust him.

Good luck

FACT a retired member CAN NOT HOLD a local position which carries responsibilities for GRIEVANCES and or BARGAINING required by the national agreement. This is the constitution sec 1...But AS ALWAYS the rules only apply to some not all that’s the fucking problem with LOCAL 400….I CHALLEGE anybody to fucking debate me an again allll they come up with is ferry tells not facts

FACT executive board members should have questioned this I put the blame on them. What they say is “financial it cost the local the same” who cares I have no RESPECT for any of them to let this go on.

FACT the bylaws need to be done over but guess what? Here is your bylaw committee…. local 400 officers…. and plant chairpersons. Do you think they want them to change?. why they just milking this local for everything.3 officers are retired now, 1 is active vice prez , which by the way is the first person CUT when there is a reduction.(article v11section 3 of the bylaws) so I refer back to the top of this page none of them can represent us.

Why even have local officers? What the hell do they do? While jobs are being cut an combined on the floor these guys don’t do shit.

I believe that anybody elected to the executive board can stay on until next election, this would be president, vice presidents, trustees, guide, sgt. at arms, etc. The people who work in plant such as commitee people lose their jobs upon retirement.

IF so SHow me in black an white..hell just look at what i wrote

We live in America, if you don't like what's going on , you have a right to change it. Run for president of local next time around !!

I like what you said but the way the system is its hard to beat them..example there are more retired workers then active so as long as the retires have a say they will hold that spot.

FACT a retired member CAN NOT HOLD a local position which carries responsibilities for GRIEVANCES and or BARGAINING required by the national agreement. This is the constitution sec 1...But AS ALWAYS the rules only apply to some not all that’s the fucking problem with LOCAL 400….I CHALLEGE anybody to fucking debate me an again allll they come up with is ferry tells not facts

FACT executive board members should have questioned this I put the blame on them. What they say is “financial it cost the local the same” who cares I have no RESPECT for any of them to let this go on.

FACT the bylaws need to be done over but guess what? Here is your bylaw committee…. local 400 officers…. and plant chairpersons. Do you think they want them to change?. why they just milking this local for everything.3 officers are retired now, 1 is active vice prez , which by the way is the first person CUT when there is a reduction.(article v11section 3 of the bylaws) so I refer back to the top of this page none of them can represent us.

Why even have local officers? What the hell do they do? While jobs are being cut an combined on the floor these guys don’t do shit.

dude, presidents do not hear grievances and if there is amy bargaining they can not be apart of it, but they can hold an executive office! Right, wrong or indifferent they have the right to run and hold an executive office. Sux, because they are wasting a place holder for an active member. They are also giving 10hrs pay per day back to the company. Not very smart!

dude, presidents do not hear grievances and if there is amy bargaining they can not be apart of it, but they can hold an executive office! Right, wrong or indifferent they have the right to run and hold an executive office. Sux, because they are wasting a place holder for an active member. They are also giving 10hrs pay per day back to the company. Not very smart!

DUDE your wrong, Presidents do hear greivances if your from AMALGAMATED LOCALS LIKE LOCAL 400!!!!!!!

However Retirees holding office at the local is all wrong and needs to come to an end!!! CAL CLARK is doing it at our local!!

By laws do not need to be done over, someone needs to sign a letter asking the presidents office of UAWINT to make a call on this issue and you personally are protesting. You need to send a formal letter, that is all you have to do.

Good luck

If you think this is OK, then what do you think about how we heard that they accomplished this...first off the contract calls for Ford to pay the President 50 hrs a week and the by-laws say that he makes $106,000.00 a year so the Local pays him the difference. OK, now Ford can not pay a retired President so the Executive Board voted to give the Presidents pay to the vice president(Fords money) and give the vice presidents money to the President....By-Laws say the other Officers make $79,000.00, so if you add the $79,000 + his

Ford pension approximately $40,000.00 he now makes $119,000.00 a $13,000 raise!!!! If these guys bargained for us the way they bargain for themselves then we would have not had to accept COA agreements and pay concessions to keep our jobs!!!

DUDE your wrong, Presidents do hear greivances if your from AMALGAMATED LOCALS LIKE LOCAL 400!!!!!!!

However Retirees holding office at the local is all wrong and needs to come to an end!!! CAL CLARK is doing it at our local!!

By laws do not need to be done over, someone needs to sign a letter asking the presidents office of UAWINT to make a call on this issue and you personally are protesting. You need to send a formal letter, that is all you have to do.

Unless he is a president/Chair, he does not hear grievances! Local 400 president doesn't hear grievances! VP or Financial Secry might, never heard of president!

I didn't say that it was right, but they can hold office and would be very hard to beat if they have the retiree vote!

As far as by-laws, I would have a stacked house to put in a by-law that they do not get paid shit!!

Unless he is a president/Chair, he does not hear grievances! Local 400 president doesn't hear grievances! VP or Financial Secry might, never heard of president!

I didn't say that it was right, but they can hold office and would be very hard to beat if they have the retiree vote!

As far as by-laws, I would have a stacked house to put in a by-law that they do not get paid shit!!

The President of a Local Union is the Chairperson exofficio of all Local committees, that included the greivance comittee, H&S, ESSP, and etc. The issue is Local 400 bylaws state clearly and without a doubt, the officers are part of negoiations in two forms. UAW Intl has taken the positon over the years and denied persons the ability to run or hold Executive office if that office is involved in neg or bargaining, either by constitution or local bylaws.

there is an appeal in play. Initially sent to Intl and was turned away despite asking for original jurisdiction due to the violation of the constitution in regard to the retiree issue and financial malpractice under the ethical practices code also a issue for Intl. The appeal has been sent to the Local where we expect it to be denied by the ofices and exec board. There are also demands for restitution by those retires officers back to 2006, the last electioni date, where there was an appeal filed calling into question the use of local funds by the offercers at that time. So that is not all you have to do...

If you think this is OK, then what do you think about how we heard that they accomplished this...first off the contract calls for Ford to pay the President 50 hrs a week and the by-laws say that he makes $106,000.00 a year so the Local pays him the difference. OK, now Ford can not pay a retired President so the Executive Board voted to give the Presidents pay to the vice president(Fords money) and give the vice presidents money to the President....By-Laws say the other Officers make $79,000.00, so if you add the $79,000 + his

Ford pension approximately $40,000.00 he now makes $119,000.00 a $13,000 raise!!!! If these guys bargained for us the way they bargain for themselves then we would have not had to accept COA agreements and pay concessions to keep our jobs!!!

finally some with facts thank you ..enough said..

UM DUDE THERE THE PAGES NUMBERS AND GO READ THEM DON'T TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OR HEARD .....

Yes Presidents of Amalgamated Locals Bargain....NOT Pres Chairs, but Presidents..

Tony P has Negotiated all kinds of agreements...

there is an appeal in play. Initially sent to Intl and was turned away despite asking for original jurisdiction due to the violation of the constitution in regard to the retiree issue and financial malpractice under the ethical practices code also a issue for Intl. The appeal has been sent to the Local where we expect it to be denied by the ofices and exec board. There are also demands for restitution by those retires officers back to 2006, the last electioni date, where there was an appeal filed calling into question the use of local funds by the offercers at that time. So that is not all you have to do...

Ok Ok maybe not all you have to do, but you are on the right path, just don't be lazy and follow thru. Justice will prevail.

finally some with facts thank you ..enough said..

It is clear what these guys are bargaining for, themselves. Local 400 should have cut back on officers way back when Chesterfield closed!! the financial well being of the local union was at stake then and more so now that Utica has closed also. the Intl and Regiona 1 have allowed this to go on even though requests have been made to them. That leaves us, the dues paying members, to wonder, what or "WHO" are they bargaining for?

the constitutional cite you are looking for in your first fact is found in Art 6 Sec 19 and in the interreatations under the same cite. Further more the PRB has affirmed the Intl's positoin that retirees cannot run for or hold office is responsible for neg or barg, in multiple case PRB 1429,1499,1283,1534 that can be found or obtained from the PRB website http://www.uawpublicreviewboard.org/ or by calling the office (the number and address is on the website) and asking for copies of them to be sent to you, as members you are entitled to them.

I also blame the EB of Local 400.

As for your last fact, I think your a little off. you say they don't do shit. They really do shit!!!

Following is a copy of the appeal that was at the plant,

Even if it weren't legally wrong, it's still ethically wrong. The took the buyout yet continue to make the same wages. Hell, don't we all wish we could do that?

IMO, Lenny's mistake was to continue with the whole missappropriation of local funds with no proof. The IUAW may have used that to throw the whole thing out. Bearing false witness is a crime.

Aside from that, it was very informative and members of the "E" board have been discussing this, but it is not something that will happen overnight.

Even if it weren't legally wrong, it's still ethically wrong. The took the buyout yet continue to make the same wages. Hell, don't we all wish we could do that?

IMO, Lenny's mistake was to continue with the whole missappropriation of local funds with no proof. The IUAW may have used that to throw the whole thing out. Bearing false witness is a crime.

Aside from that, it was very informative and members of the "E" board have been discussing this, but it is not something that will happen overnight.

But if it is not a proper expense(Wages to Retirees) then they are misappropriating funds...

Edited by laidofflocal400member

But if it is not a proper expense(Wages to Retirees) then they are misappropriating funds...

Local 400future, you must be one of those that voted for this shit to take place! Its clear you really do not have a grasp of the UAW's policy against self enrichment, the constitution or right from wrong.

Where were you when the vote took place, on tony's lap? For that matter, why don't you let us in on the vote tally so we can all let the E board members know how we feel? Who voted for the destruction of Local 400 and who didn't? di any of you vote against it? Did you all follow blindly?

you made a statement "we don't need fulltime time officers down at the local" but yet you support tony p double dipping.

eb members

* Fred Gilliam....he is out numbered

* Franco Canale......needs to take tony p dick out of his mouth

* Theresa M. Felt

* Al Coscia......what can i say sell out

* Brad Tiseo..... last names says it alll gooo tony p

* Chris McFarlane ..........wow send him to black lake,nevers shows up for meetings

* Luigi Franzese............when franco done sucking his there to swallow

* Paulette Mendelson.......

* Steve Tolomei.........

* John M. Cantin............

* David Bogdanski.............hi dave