My Autoshow Opinions

Went to the OC auto show last friday. I did the test drive in the fiesta, and looked at pretty much everything there, it's a yearly ritual. The fiesta has touchy brakes, but for such a small car drives good, but needs way more power. It was a 1.6 5-speed euro spec. The New SHO was great, loved it, but I still have trouble accepting it, compared to my 89 & 95. Really too tall, and no 5-speed. But it's a great and vast improvement. I love the fusion sport, seriously. It's not so big and tall, and about the same size as an old school SHO, with a 3.5. I'd go for it. The flex is cool, love the retro perforated leather seats and sew patterns, but wish it was just a touch lower in ride height and about 4 inches lower roof height.

My big gripe is this with most all the new cars at the show. Even ford. Too many cars are using this cheap ass carpet that looks like the trunk carpet of my 95 SHO. The fords were not as bad, but the depth and plushness is not there. it's really thin and light. Some literally does look like trunk carpet on some of the other brands of cars. I remember when my Dad bought a 92 Taurus LX, the carpet was so deep and plush, it left lots of little fuzz for a long time. Same with the 80's turbo dodge my mom had. In all honesty This to me shouts cheap. I know it's about weight reduction, but I don't like it, gives a car a cheap throw away feel.

Funny cause I was reading the post about gen x, I'm 30, will be 31 in dec, so not sure what group I am in. But I still remember the Lincolns, Ford's and Mercury's of the 80's and 90's. I honestly know technology has come along way, but I just find so few of the new cars from ford get me as interested as the Fox Mustangs, Taurus, Thunderbirds, of the early 90's. The new trucks just are too blingy, give me a 92-96 and that was ideal, ad not so huge. I feel like a little kid in my friends 04.

Most of GM stuff isn't too exciting to me, same with Chrysler. The Japanese imports don't feel that much better to me, although i never have been to big on them...although I love the German cars. They look fantastic as always, love the new Z4, but not enough to get rid of my 05. Love the 1 series. But my big thing is the Koreans, wow how far they have come. I still think excell when I think hyundai but man the genisis coupe is nice....although the leather and carpet seemed cheap. But the sheet metal was great.

Everyone better watch out when the Chinese come to the us, cause most consumers are all about the bottom line.

I know what you mean on the carpeting. We had a 2 door 69 LTD with the Brougham option (didn't become a separate model until 1970). While the rest of the lineup came with loop pile carpeting, the Brougham had cut pile carpeting that was so plush. Beautiful car with dark green metallic paint, white vinyl roof, deluxe wheet covers and the 429 engine.

We also had a 2-door 302 72 LDO (Luxury Decor Option) Maverick. With its shag carpeting, Austin Powers would have felt right at home.

I've heard that the US spec Fiestas will come with 6-speed trannies, both manual and DSG auto.

I've heard that the US spec Fiestas will come with 6-speed trannies, both manual and DSG auto.

Where'd you hear this? I have heard the PowerShift will be 6-speed but had only seen speculation/hope that the manual transmission would be. Some people seem to think the final drive will be lower to boost the mileage ratings at the cost of pep instead of investing in adding another cog. I definitely hope what you've heard is true--6-speeds are better than 5, especially based on all the reviews that say the Fiesta has decent power in EU trim but turns too many rpm at highway speeds.

Went to the OC auto show last friday. I did the test drive in the fiesta, and looked at pretty much everything there, it's a yearly ritual. The fiesta has touchy brakes, but for such a small car drives good, but needs way more power. It was a 1.6 5-speed euro spec. The New SHO was great, loved it, but I still have trouble accepting it, compared to my 89 & 95. Really too tall, and no 5-speed. But it's a great and vast improvement. I love the fusion sport, seriously. It's not so big and tall, and about the same size as an old school SHO, with a 3.5. I'd go for it. The flex is cool, love the retro perforated leather seats and sew patterns, but wish it was just a touch lower in ride height and about 4 inches lower roof height.

My big gripe is this with most all the new cars at the show. Even ford. Too many cars are using this cheap ass carpet that looks like the trunk carpet of my 95 SHO. The fords were not as bad, but the depth and plushness is not there. it's really thin and light. Some literally does look like trunk carpet on some of the other brands of cars. I remember when my Dad bought a 92 Taurus LX, the carpet was so deep and plush, it left lots of little fuzz for a long time. Same with the 80's turbo dodge my mom had. In all honesty This to me shouts cheap. I know it's about weight reduction, but I don't like it, gives a car a cheap throw away feel.

Funny cause I was reading the post about gen x, I'm 30, will be 31 in dec, so not sure what group I am in. But I still remember the Lincolns, Ford's and Mercury's of the 80's and 90's. I honestly know technology has come along way, but I just find so few of the new cars from ford get me as interested as the Fox Mustangs, Taurus, Thunderbirds, of the early 90's. The new trucks just are too blingy, give me a 92-96 and that was ideal, ad not so huge. I feel like a little kid in my friends 04.

Most of GM stuff isn't too exciting to me, same with Chrysler. The Japanese imports don't feel that much better to me, although i never have been to big on them...although I love the German cars. They look fantastic as always, love the new Z4, but not enough to get rid of my 05. Love the 1 series. But my big thing is the Koreans, wow how far they have come. I still think excell when I think hyundai but man the genisis coupe is nice....although the leather and carpet seemed cheap. But the sheet metal was great.

Everyone better watch out when the Chinese come to the us, cause most consumers are all about the bottom line.

How low do you want the flex? I think it sits just right. Are you looking for more car like? Almost like a caprice station wagon? Curious to hear

The flex is cool, love the retro perforated leather seats and sew patterns, but wish it was just a touch lower in ride height and about 4 inches lower roof height.

How low do you want the flex? I think it sits just right. Are you looking for more car like? Almost like a caprice station wagon? Curious to hear

Exactly the question I was going to ask - how low do you want the thing? Sounds like you just want a Taurus wagon that's just extra roof and seats thrown in a Taurus.

As with groundassult, I find it fine the way it is.

Ok, as for the Taurus SHO, it has no MANUAL TRANS, that's what I was getting at. And it's alot taller than the old school ones. I like low cars. I don't like the mile high rear clip. Looks like it got hit in the back and the rear body crumpled up. Again, I think it is a great step in the right direction at Ford...but as someone who has and remebers the original SHO's, i just feel let down by it, and I can't explain why.

As for the flex, it would look really good if the roof was chopped 4-5 inches and it was dropped 2-3 inches, I think that style would look good. I'd also like to see it in some more retro color combos. Kinda like a vintage surf wagon, although not sure if that's the best description.

Ok, as for the Taurus SHO, it has no MANUAL TRANS, that's what I was getting at. And it's alot taller than the old school ones. I like low cars. I don't like the mile high rear clip. Looks like it got hit in the back and the rear body crumpled up. Again, I think it is a great step in the right direction at Ford...but as someone who has and remebers the original SHO's, i just feel let down by it, and I can't explain why.

As for the flex, it would look really good if the roof was chopped 4-5 inches and it was dropped 2-3 inches, I think that style would look good. I'd also like to see it in some more retro color combos. Kinda like a vintage surf wagon, although not sure if that's the best description.

To each his own, but I think it looks great as-is:

cleanflex1.jpg

I also agree with the skimpy carpet in new cars comment. Look at the

quality of the carpet in this '79 Cadillac.....the pic was taken when

it was 26 years old and had withstood such indignities as the heater core

leaking coolant on it, etc:

79cad3.jpg

Wow that's ugly. I get really squemish with these plush carpets and fabrics if they can't be taken out and washed regularly, and you can never do that in a car.

I too have noticed the decline in carpet plushness, especially in Lincoln. However, the carpet seems more durable and easier to keep clean (and there is no more pilling). Even the trunk carpeting has degraded over the years. I remember when it use to match the interior of the car. But again, it's much cleaner :)

The biggest cut seems to be in the quality of the floormats. I remember the de-evolution of my 3 Lincoln LS leases over the years. The 2005 had the flimsy, lightest floormats I had ever seen.