STAP VOTE

BT

I have been a big proponent of a no vote based on "No Product? No Concessions! Vote No." all along. I voted Yes. You can ridicule me if you like maybe I deserve it but for me it came down to one issue, with STAP closing is the closure language better as is or is it better in the proposal. I agree it was a low move by the CAW to rush this through and it was asked by many to delay the vote but that did not happen and so a choice had to be made. Based on the information I had it was obvious the closure language was better, not great, not even good but just better. I stood with ballot in hand for a long time pondering the ramifications of YES or NO, it was agonizing and in the end I just had to put my faith in the bargaining committee and leadership as I had no other resouce available to me nor the time to find any. Did I make a mistake , maybe. Did I make an informed decision, not really. Am I happy about it, definitely not.

To be told there was an agreement Friday at 2:00pm and be handed the highlights Sat at 10:00am and forced decide my future after a short meeting is probably lowest thing I have seen the CAW do in all my years here. Hopefully there will be better times ahead for everyone but it won't be at STAP. :(

Unreal...somebody rushes you to make a decision on your life when you weren't yet comfortable and you decide to "trust" the ones that fed us bullshit for years.I'd hope you don't sign deals without understanding them elsewhere in your life and if you do that speaks volumes.I guess I could forgive you alittle if you are low senority,I don't think your offer would get much better but it passing sure did fuck us more senior guys.You folded like every union blowheart...no jobs=no vote.How many times we seen you on here spouting the line then in a 1 hour presentation by people you know you can't trust you flip like Smith and the rest.Moronic!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meh. I really don't think Tucker had that much support. I even think some of his friends who said they voted for him probably didn't (I like the guy, just don't think he would have been a good choice for that position). I believe Kurt Smith had some votes not counted for him, just to make sure he didn't get into the run off with Scott.

But if you want proof the CAW does indeed fix numbers, ask the guys from Body who voted yes to 11 hours. Yet according to them, it was "overwhelmingly in favour".

Every time there is to be a ratification vote it needs to be monitored and counted by an independent third party. This does two things: first puts the trust of the membership back in the process and secondly places the union in a position beyond reproach ( at least with respect to voting). Not to mention no more "Rush to Ratify" rally's.

I have been a big proponent of a no vote based on "No Product? No Concessions! Vote No." all along. I voted Yes. You can ridicule me if you like maybe I deserve it but for me it came down to one issue, with STAP closing is the closure language better as is or is it better in the proposal. I agree it was a low move by the CAW to rush this through and it was asked by many to delay the vote but that did not happen and so a choice had to be made. Based on the information I had it was obvious the closure language was better, not great, not even good but just better. I stood with ballot in hand for a long time pondering the ramifications of YES or NO, it was agonizing and in the end I just had to put my faith in the bargaining committee and leadership as I had no other resouce available to me nor the time to find any. Did I make a mistake , maybe. Did I make an informed decision, not really. Am I happy about it, definitely not.

To be told there was an agreement Friday at 2:00pm and be handed the highlights Sat at 10:00am and forced decide my future after a short meeting is probably lowest thing I have seen the CAW do in all my years here. Hopefully there will be better times ahead for everyone but it won't be at STAP. :(

All I can say is, we lost our jobs, we took concessions, we lost footprint. The CAW didn't even get a new severence package, they just restarted the STEP program. STEP program plus a 4% reduction in footprint payment would have been a good starting point. New work for Oakville and Windsor? HARDLY. All the CAW did was force Ford to disclose their future plans. It wasn't work that the CAW got from Ford.

So take your buyout and subtract the 16 dollars an hour for the next two years, in concessions we gave ford and see what your left with.

e.g $16x 40 hours per week=$640

$640x52 weeks = $33280

$33280 x 2 years left at STAP=$66560

Say your getting $100,000 + 20,000 voucher=$120,000

$120,000-$66560=$53435

your severance package is $53435 now minus taxes. For a GRAND TOTAL of appox. $28000

Those are the numbers Jim Stafford (caw economist) forgot in his slide presentation.

Ford is giving you your own money for severance.

That's why the CAW had us RUSH TO RATIFY!!!!!

Edited by xstapr

And you watch ...old scotty will "happen" to get a job in the national ....just for being a good tow the line talking head

Lewwenza truly is an idiot

I wish he had the balls to come on here and apologize for fucking his members

All I can say is, we lost our jobs, we took concessions, we lost footprint. The CAW didn't even get a new severence package, they just restarted the STEP program. STEP program plus a 4% reduction in footprint payment would have been a good starting point. New work for Oakville and Windsor? HARDLY. All the CAW did was force Ford to disclose their future plans. It wasn't work that the CAW got from Ford.

So take your buyout and subtract the 16 dollars an hour for the next two years, in concessions we gave ford and see what your left with.

e.g $16x 40 hours per week=$640

$640x52 weeks = $33280

$33280 x 2 years left at STAP=$66560

Say your getting $100,000 + 20,000 voucher=$120,000

$120,000-$66560=$53435

your severance package is $53435 now minus taxes. For a GRAND TOTAL of appox. $28000

Those are the numbers Jim Stafford (caw economist) forgot in his slide presentation.

Ford is giving you your own money for severance.

That's why the CAW had us RUSH TO RATIFY!!!!!

fIRST OFF WHERE ARE YOU GETTING 16$ PER HOUR? Also its 100,000 plus 25,000 (NOT 20,000)and addition your current pension contributions on top. If you are smart you will hide each and every cent of it and pay taxes later when its comin gout as a RRSP. ALSO, there is nothing at all saying you cant work there for the next 2 years then when the place goes down take the package. I think you are a bit confused about whats going on here BROTHER.

Unreal...somebody rushes you to make a decision on your life when you weren't yet comfortable and you decide to "trust" the ones that fed us bullshit for years.I'd hope you don't sign deals without understanding them elsewhere in your life and if you do that speaks volumes.I guess I could forgive you alittle if you are low senority,I don't think your offer would get much better but it passing sure did fuck us more senior guys.You folded like every union blowheart...no jobs=no vote.How many times we seen you on here spouting the line then in a 1 hour presentation by people you know you can't trust you flip like Smith and the rest.Moronic!

I don't see how you are more "screwed" with this package than with the old one, maybe you could explain it to me, or did you think Ford would come running back to the table with a better package if we turned it down? :banghead:

Every time there is to be a ratification vote it needs to be monitored and counted by an independent third party. This does two things: first puts the trust of the membership back in the process and secondly places the union in a position beyond reproach ( at least with respect to voting). Not to mention no more "Rush to Ratify" rally's.

This vote was total BS! We knew nothing about what the union was proposing to ford until we actually sat down at the meeting. Our union could have passed the proposal out on Friday but they insisted they knew nothing BS! We got there they had a nice little pamphlet waiting for us. Unless Ken has a printing press in his basement these were made up days before, the union and barganing committee just didn't have the balls to pass it out. That's a piss off because we actually might have got a chance to think before voting, I'm not saying the proposal would have been turned down but I bet the vote would have been a little closer than it was, provided the CAW didn't tamper with the votes......we all know that's not possible!

Edited by roggie13

And you watch ...old scotty will "happen" to get a job in the national ....just for being a good tow the line talking head

Lewwenza truly is an idiot

I wish he had the balls to come on here and apologize for fucking his members

you cant blame scott smith for this the plans to close stap started long ago like 2 contracts our leaders all knew it thats why they all jumped ship, scott did what he could with a sinking ship hes a young guy i think he did his best with the power he had.

lewenza clearly wasnt fighting for stap as hard as he was for windsor and oac...dont think he even knew who scott was at one of his press conferences a while back...

This vote was total BS! We knew nothing about what the union was proposing to ford until we actually sat down at the meeting. Our union could have passed the proposal out on Friday but they insisted they knew nothing BS! We got there they had a nice little pamphlet waiting for us. Unless Ken has a printing press in his basement these were made up days before, the union and barganing committee just didn't have the balls to pass it out. That's a piss off because we actually might have got a chance to think before voting, I'm not saying the proposal would have been turned down but I bet the vote would have been a little closer than it was, provided the CAW didn't tamper with the votes......we all know that's not possible!

Some of you people are sick, writing how the CAW tampered with votes, the CAW did'nt give me time to think about the offer, the CAW did'nt get a new product, putting the blame on the CAW.

Ford motor company killed the Crown Vic and will shutter the plant. Not Ken not Scott not Whitey not the CAW but FORD MOTOR COMPANY. Take your anger and place the blame where it belongs. We knew back in 2005 that the CV, GM, & TC WERE DONE IN 2011. Yet some people want to blame fellow hourly local employees at the plant. shame shame shame

It is a shame when a company walks away from 100,000 plus units a year that the buyers wanted to continue to buy. (police, taxi, limo services and the retired folks) It is a shame that the company did not WANT to make the needed improvements on those car lines to keep them viable in a plant where the assembly lines were payed for years ago. Even more shamefull is to lay the blame on on our local reps.

It is what it is, No Auto pact, not enough market share, to many plants not working to their full capabilities and a COMPANY willing to kill off a good car.it was FORD not the CAW

I suguest that my fellow 1520 members give thanks to the CAW for a severance package that many many people from other jobs whom have been placed on the employment and welfare lines due to no severance of any kind at all from company greed backed by a goverment that is part of the problem and not willing to do the right thing by looking out for it's people. The goverment has carried out the plan of the WTO in having 2 classes of working stiffs the min wage earner and the dirty rotten rich white collar.

Proud to be UNION

Take your anger and place the blame where it belongs.

I will and it's at the union. If you've read any of my earlier posts this car launched in our plant in april 1983. They threw everyone hire to build that car under a bus.

We knew back in 2005 that the CV, GM, & TC WERE DONE IN 2011.

I'm a Ford shareholder i get there prispectise (F^&^%* the spelling). They know 5 year ago, never admitted to it, then allowed the company to walk away on ever person hire to build the CV & GM unless you meet there defined tirmes.

Even more shamefull is to lay the blame on on our local reps.

It is what it is, No Auto pact, not enough market share, to many plants not working to their full capabilities and a COMPANY willing to kill off a good car.it was FORD not the CAW

I suguest that my fellow 1520 members give thanks to the CAW for a severance package that many many people from other jobs whom have been placed on the employment and welfare lines due to no severance of any kind at all from company greed backed by a goverment that is part of the problem and not willing to do the right thing by looking out for it's people. The goverment has carried out the plan of the WTO in having 2 classes of working stiffs the min wage earner and the dirty rotten rich white collar.

Proud to be UNION

I'm grateful to Ford for what i have. I have earned (NOONE has given me it not Ford NOT the CAW ) a good life. It's shameful that the day after we sign this the company anounses 1bn and my union rushed me to vote on this deal. it shameful when you can STOP LOOK @ THE #"S and see how you really got f@&^*& .

1 year longer till 2012 and almost 500 ppl got 28.1 years of service. we all fall 3 to 9 month short and get NOTHING.

Be Proud . I'm the son of a union rep , I'm NOT.

Now I got to go to work.

Have a good day

Some of you people are sick, writing how the CAW tampered with votes, the CAW did'nt give me time to think about the offer, the CAW did'nt get a new product, putting the blame on the CAW.

Ford motor company killed the Crown Vic and will shutter the plant. Not Ken not Scott not Whitey not the CAW but FORD MOTOR COMPANY. Take your anger and place the blame where it belongs. We knew back in 2005 that the CV, GM, & TC WERE DONE IN 2011. Yet some people want to blame fellow hourly local employees at the plant. shame shame shame

It is a shame when a company walks away from 100,000 plus units a year that the buyers wanted to continue to buy. (police, taxi, limo services and the retired folks) It is a shame that the company did not WANT to make the needed improvements on those car lines to keep them viable in a plant where the assembly lines were payed for years ago. Even more shamefull is to lay the blame on on our local reps.

Proud to be UNION

You are totally fucked buddy open your eyes I have been a STAP 17 years when have the workers ever gotten what they have asked for? I have never seen an election go our way, saw our plant chairman bail on us when the going got tough and appointed some smuck from the street because he was the right guy for the job, seen our union defend lazy bums that snort crack on the line, fight for guys who have been at the plant 10 years but have yet to work 2 the list goes on and on. But that's okay your union stands by you, so when you apply for government assistance in 2 years and they turn you down. maybe your so called union will fight for you!

Edited by roggie13

Well, it looks like the union finally came out of hiding and is making an appearance to pat themselves on the back for such a wonderful job the think they did.

Ford motor company killed the Crown Vic and will shutter the plant. Not Ken not Scott not Whitey not the CAW but FORD MOTOR COMPANY.

Actually, the CAW had a hand in it when they fought for OAC’s survival, but didn’t do the same for STAP. Even though they said they wouldn’t rest until commitment to STAP was made.

And lets be honest here, negotiates between the two sides have never been transparent. What was talked about, what was fought for, or what side deals were made was always kept quiet from the members. At the end of the day, no one who negotiated on Local 1520’s behalf was in a position to lose anything beyond their own credibility. I have no doubt that Lewenza, or Hargrove before that, was more concerned about their legacy, their name, then about the workers.

We will never know if an offer was put on the table that could have saved STAP, but Lewenza turned it down because it would have made him look bad. And with the way he stood up there on Saturday and patted himself on the back, I have no doubt his ego was more important then the people who pay his salary.

Take your anger and place the blame where it belongs. We knew back in 2005 that the CV, GM, & TC WERE DONE IN 2011. Yet some people want to blame fellow hourly local employees at the plant.

Well, that is where it belongs. The Windstar died, but Oakville carried on. The 500 died, but Chicago kept going. Many car lines die, but the plants continue. The CAW failed. And as soon as you realize that, the sooner you will stop embarrassing yourself with this nonsense.

It is a shame when a company walks away from 100,000 plus units a year that the buyers wanted to continue to buy. (police, taxi, limo services and the retired folks)

The company thinks it has an alternative, and when they realize the don’t, the Panther replacement will be born. Just not at STAP because the Caw failed to secure it’s future.

It is a shame that the company did not WANT to make the needed improvements on those car lines to keep them viable in a plant where the assembly lines were payed for years ago.

No, it’s a shame that the union didn’t fight for STAP they way they fought for other plants. Instead of looking for better pensions, or higher hourly wage, they should have looked for that money to go into STAP. The CAW screwed up, but is unwilling to accept it.

Even more shamefull is to lay the blame on on our local reps.

It’s a shame that you are trying to pass the buck on to someone else

it was FORD not the CAW

Nope, it was the CAW.

I suguest that my fellow 1520 members give thanks to the CAW

I suggest the CAW refund all my dues, sell any assets they accumulated with those dues and dived the profit amongst their members

I suguest that my fellow 1520 members give thanks to the CAW for a severance package that many many people from other jobs

You mean the guys at GM and Chrysler who got better packages?

Proud to be UNION

Never was, never will be.

Well, it looks like the union finally came out of hiding and is making an appearance to pat themselves on the back for such a wonderful job the think they did.

Actually, the CAW had a hand in it when they fought for OAC’s survival, but didn’t do the same for STAP. Even though they said they wouldn’t rest until commitment to STAP was made.

And lets be honest here, negotiates between the two sides have never been transparent. What was talked about, what was fought for, or what side deals were made was always kept quiet from the members. At the end of the day, no one who negotiated on Local 1520’s behalf was in a position to lose anything beyond their own credibility. I have no doubt that Lewenza, or Hargrove before that, was more concerned about their legacy, their name, then about the workers.

We will never know if an offer was put on the table that could have saved STAP, but Lewenza turned it down because it would have made him look bad. And with the way he stood up there on Saturday and patted himself on the back, I have no doubt his ego was more important then the people who pay his salary.

Well, that is where it belongs. The Windstar died, but Oakville carried on. The 500 died, but Chicago kept going. Many car lines die, but the plants continue. The CAW failed. And as soon as you realize that, the sooner you will stop embarrassing yourself with this nonsense.

The company thinks it has an alternative, and when they realize the don’t, the Panther replacement will be born. Just not at STAP because the Caw failed to secure it’s future.

No, it’s a shame that the union didn’t fight for STAP they way they fought for other plants. Instead of looking for better pensions, or higher hourly wage, they should have looked for that money to go into STAP. The CAW screwed up, but is unwilling to accept it.

It’s a shame that you are trying to pass the buck on to someone else

Nope, it was the CAW.

I suggest the CAW refund all my dues, sell any assets they accumulated with those dues and dived the profit amongst their members

You mean the guys at GM and Chrysler who got better packages?

Never was, never will be.

I couldn't agree more, glad someone also see's it my way. I know we will get those people that will say "well the union did get you a good buyout package" like fuck they did the union got nothing for us! Ford is a huge company that just canned 1600 employees they gave the buyout to save face. They already made their minds up about STAP you think the union could make them give us a buyout just by asking for it? Stap isn't the first ford plant to close and just like our plant, ford gave them a buyout also it's not something new! Whitey knew we were done he just didn't have the balls to tell us so he appointed his buddy Scott to take his place. I have only seen this guy walk through our plant twice once when re-election came up. Way to go union appoint someone who has no backbone...must have been that $200,000 he gets every year,hell pay me 200g for a disappearing act and I'd probally take it too. I wonder where all our proceeds to the union will go? Probally to the nationals,how about when we sell the hall? That shouldn't happen we paid for it not the union, maybe they already sold it and split up the money between them after all we didn't have the vote there. What was the meeting in the convention centre anyway we do have a hall don't we? Ken probally wanted all the media coverage he could get, so he could gloat a little more and say whithout him this deal wouldn't have happened.......yes Ken you are a union God I will bend down and kiss your ass....fuck-you

Edited by roggie13

What a bunch of whiners from STAP

Did not see this from Atlanta or the many other plants that have closed.

From what I read 80% or so accepted your contract.

Time to grow up.

We accept our contract but you need to funkin shut-up if you weren't at the meeting, we didn't know what the ratifacation agreement, buyout package was until we sat down. Nobody wants to lose their job but they deserve better from the union, we were like lambs before the slaughter, I at least would like to know ahead of time before they cut my throat!

You are totally fucked buddy open your eyes I have been a STAP 17 years when have the workers ever gotten what they have asked for? I have never seen an election go our way, saw our plant chairman bail on us when the going got tough and appointed some smuck from the street because he was the right guy for the job, seen our union defend lazy bums that snort crack on the line, fight for guys who have been at the plant 10 years but have yet to work 2 the list goes on and on. But that's okay your union stands by you, so when you apply for government assistance in 2 years and they turn you down. maybe your so called union will fight for you!

My eyes are open, with your 17 years of putting cars together it should be no problem for you to go down the road to HYUNDAI or KIA to hire on there and build cars for them.. Oh wait you would have to move to Korea. Do you have your passport up to date? Did the CAW hire thoses lazy crack snorting bums. Wait for it NO

So tomorrow when I walk down the street to my min wage part time job for my 6 hour shift with only one 15 min break. I will be thinking of how my union of today UFCW is no where near the quality of the CAW that I left 2 1/2 years ago.

I am pissed that alot of good people will be doning without in 2 years time because of the decision by Ford to shutter STAP.

Turn your anger where it belongs, not on the CAW

My eyes are open, with your 17 years of putting cars together it should be no problem for you to go down the road to HYUNDAI or KIA to hire on there and build cars for them.. Oh wait you would have to move to Korea. Do you have your passport up to date? Did the CAW hire thoses lazy crack snorting bums. Wait for it NO

So tomorrow when I walk down the street to my min wage part time job for my 6 hour shift with only one 15 min break. I will be thinking of how my union of today UFCW is no where near the quality of the CAW that I left 2 1/2 years ago.

I am pissed that alot of good people will be doning without in 2 years time because of the decision by Ford to shutter STAP.

How many CV are in Korea? Probally not a hell of alot, plus the union back a few years ago sacrificed Stap to put a new product into OAP when they were slated to close everybody knows that if you don't, then you are totally blind. As for the crack heads no the union didn't hire them but when ford threatened to fire them the union stuck up for them, everybody deserves a second chance but come on 3 or 4 give me a break. I know that the auto industry is going down the toilet but who agreed to have 2 tier wages.... the union. I have been there 17 years and asked the union for nothing,never been late and have had a total of 4 sick days. I asked them one thing and that was to keep me informed on what was going on they failed to do so that in my books are what so many others have said useless!

Edited by roggie13

Did the CAW hire thoses lazy crack snorting bums. Wait for it NO

Well, yes, they kinda did. Or at least, they protected them once they were hired. Had the union been more willing, actually wait, I mean willing to get rid of the people who weren't there to work, then maybe things could be different

The anger belongs were it is being pointed, the CAW.

Well, yes, they kinda did. Or at least, they protected them once they were hired. Had the union been more willing, actually wait, I mean willing to get rid of the people who weren't there to work, then maybe things could be different

The anger belongs were it is being pointed, the CAW.

Totally agree Cocheese but if we don't agree what the union did was for the best we are labeled union bashers. Look if Ken would have called a union meeting a month ago and said there is no hope for STAP that would have been fine but he chose to keep the media up to date instead of it's members in my books thats totally BS. They wanted to dump it on us when we got there so we couldn't discuss it with other members (pretty much read between the lines) I have No problem with people that want to support the union but because others don't don't point the finger at us and call us wrong. I'll I am saying is the union should have treated their members with a little more respect after all they would exist if it wasn't for us!

moe ...you are so out of touch its pathetic ...........you must love the taste of Lewwwwnza in your mouth

Yes FoMoCo is the boss but the Union is there for the members to FIGHT for the members ..to strike for the members ..to do whatever it takes for the members

In years gone by there would be a plant occupation to stop this .....where are the balls of the CAW ...Lewenza is the weakest leader we have ever had

You Know its strange i wore my UAW 1520 winter parka for 30 years always got ribbed about it by the union guys ...kinda ironic they ( the members) had the balls to do the right thing

Proud ....... to have started my auto life as a UAW member

not proud ....to have ended my auto life as a CAW member

moe ...you are so out of touch its pathetic ...........you must love the taste of Lewwwwnza in your mouth

Yes FoMoCo is the boss but the Union is there for the members to FIGHT for the members ..to strike for the members ..to do whatever it takes for the members

In years gone by there would be a plant occupation to stop this .....where are the balls of the CAW ...Lewenza is the weakest leader we have ever had

You Know its strange i wore my UAW 1520 winter parka for 30 years always got ribbed about it by the union guys ...kinda ironic they ( the members) had the balls to do the right thing

Proud ....... to have started my auto life as a UAW member

not proud ....to have ended my auto life as a CAW member

Well said!

Totally agree Cocheese but if we don't agree what the union did was for the best we are labeled union bashers. Look if Ken would have called a union meeting a month ago and said there is no hope for STAP that would have been fine but he chose to keep the media up to date instead of it's members in my books thats totally BS. They wanted to dump it on us when we got there so we couldn't discuss it with other members (pretty much read between the lines) I have No problem with people that want to support the union but because others don't don't point the finger at us and call us wrong. I'll I am saying is the union should have treated their members with a little more respect after all they would exist if it wasn't for us!

Monday - talks begin

Tuesday - Lewenza tells the media if there is no new product for STAP, no new deal will be reached

Wednesday - talks continue

Thursday - Reps are summoned to Toronto; deal must be close

Friday afternoon - report leaked to media - STAP to close

Saturday morning - officially informed by CAW about what was agreed to

10 minutes later - ratification vote

If that doesn't stink, I don't know what does

My favourite part was hearing people after they had cast their vote that "it won't get much better then $100,000", then telling them what GM & Chrysler got, and watching their mouths drop.

The CAW is a joke

Monday - talks begin

Tuesday - Lewenza tells the media if there is no new product for STAP, no new deal will be reached

My favourite part was hearing people after they had cast their vote that "it won't get much better then $100,000", then telling them what GM & Chrysler got, and watching their mouths drop.

The CAW is a joke

Yor totally right they are a fukin joke, But Cocheese you forgot one thing.....Friday afternoon when the report was leaked to the media that we were closing when asked, our union said it was a rumor started at OAP so not only is the caw a joke the're also fukin liars!

Monday - talks begin

The CAW is a joke

You do realize that in almost every other company in the WORLD, when a plant is closed for whatever reason, that the emplyees are NOT entitled to """BUYOUTS" of any type.

READ THIS ONTARIO LABOUR LAW

So Ford could have paid you the minimum severance as defined by the the LAW and just said see ya.

It sucks that anyone lost their job but it happens every day and if you worked ANYWHERE ELSE you would know the reality.