Scion tC

ANTAUS

LINK_Wards.com

The vehicle is basically a stripper of a model...when Toyota releases such a product, it's labeled as a "starter package for enthusiasts" ..."for tuners who want to start with a clean pallete".

If Ford would have done similar, it would have been laughed off.

Ford marketing should take an example of how effective spin can be...

Actually, I've wished for (and many times said so on this forum) stripper models from Ford. Many people yearn for economy and simplicity. On another thread here - concerning the Mustang I think - there is a discussion along the lines of - I am paraphrasing here - "It would cost more to re-tool the line for manual crank windows..." etc. etc.. Someone wanted to spend the extra dough on horsepower.

My beef is this: even more than a lack of simple alternatives, it is the lack of choices that frosts me. I was pissed that I couldn't get my T-Bird with a stick. And maybe a few extra horses. Suppose I were to buy a Five Hundred or a Fusion; Why can't I get a stick with my V6? Why can't I get crank up windows? Why can't I get a sound system delete? Why can I get a great looking Mazda 6 wagon, but not a Fusion Wagon? Why? Do you not want to sell me a car? (And puh-leeze, don't tell me to get a Freestyle if I want a wagon.)

I think decontented options are great. And lastly I ask: Why is Toyota able to offer simplicity, flexibility, and economy to its customers?

Sorry for the rant. The Scion line is very attractive to me for precisely the reason that article alludes to - the promise of a simple car.

Edited by niteflight

Dear Ford,

I wish for a simple car that I can commute from home to work with.

I don't need power windows, hell I only need a manual drivers side window the other can be fixed glass. No radio cause I like to hum to myself, only a drivers seat cause no one ever rides with me and I can use the passager side floor to hold extra gargage from the drive thru, I also dont need windshield wipers as I use rain-x, also can I get 12" tires? no need for big rolling rubber cutting down on my mpg, also paint should be optional cause I really only need primer, also delete the horn cause I use one of those really loud boat horns, also I only need a 3 speed manual no need for all those fancy gears, and while your at it i only need a good old 4cyl that is carburated cause I dont want all those fancy electronics telling the car what to do, I do that! Also I dont need heater options, just cold or hot with a defrost option only and just an on and off for the fan, no need to get all complicated with it! Also since it will not have passenger seats no need for a glove box, just put in one of those plastic visor clips to hold the manual which should be thin, that can also hold the registration and isn info, Oh and since I dont need passangers could you just not put in a pass door? Just a hatch in the back would be fine. Also dont need door locks cause there is nothing to steal, please also delete headlinder, carpet, sound proffing etc, I like to hum real loud... Dont forget only use some cheesy looking steel whele for my 12" tires dont want $$ hub caps getting stolen. Also delete the back brakes, the front work just fine by themselves. Also I like to go boating so no need for a gas tank just make a bracket that can hold a metal 5gal boat tank that easily hooks in the hatch area, that would be great. Thanks Ford!

P.S. I would be willing to pay top dollar for a nice "no thrills" car.

I see where you're coming from. Well, enjoy your padded landau roof, whorehouse upholstery with electric butt massage, fake wood grain, electronically delayed acceleration and shifting, traction control killing your engine while you're trying to pull out into traffic ahead of that dead-beat with the half-mile line of traffic stuck behind him, seatbelt retractor pinning you back in your seat so you can't turn your head as you enter freeway traffic because you accelerated too fast on the on-ramp...... oh, and let's not forget the wonderful digital reprocessing that gives you all those great effects like "jazz club" and "concert hall" on the continually jamming (and not in a good way) 6-disk CD changer. Yeah, hadda have that. Hope to God you never have to drive a stick in an emergency because, unless you want a Mustang, they'll make damn sure you've forgotten how. Oh, and enjoy not having any choice about any of it. Ford marketing knows what you need, and evidently you know what everybody else needs. Sorry I raised the issue. I thought Ford's market share was declining and Toyota's was growing. I guess they're doing fine if you say so. My bad.

p.s. If a bunch of electronic crap are what constitutes "thrills" in a car for you, well.... I have nothing left to say.

Edited by niteflight

Oh get your panties out of a ruffle, I was only being facetious. You can get a focus with crank windows and just a single cd player, I think ABS is even an option if you go base enough.

Well...... I didn't want to admit this, but I kind of liked your ideas...... especially the boat tank with the mounting bracket...... :blush:

Still wish I could've had a stick with my T-Bird.