Public opinion survey of Canadians

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Spoken like true paranoia. I hate it when a young girl gets hit by a car and killed, neglects to put on her seat belt and gets killed, tries to beat a train accoss the tracks and gets killed. Which do you think happens more often, your cross fire death or my automobile deaths?

I always love those who compare someone who pulls a gun, and fires it with the intent to kill with a car which blows a tire, and veers off the road. Yes, I will agree, ACCIDENTS happen more often than cold blooded murder, ya got me there!

Jimbo2, yes, I am familiar with the "reasoning" behind the Second Amendment. The Canadian government hasn't outlawed guns.

You do, hold up a bank and see.

Non sequitur. All you have to do is be a criminal to be treated the same as one. Really. I don't see the basis of your argument.

The basis of my argument is that if I get caught carrying a gun, I lose my job, and probably my home, plus I go to jail. A criminal has no job to lose, and has probably arranged his affairs so that if he is apprehended things will be taken care of until he gets out. I have way more to lose than he, so I am not going to take the chance of getting caught carrying an illegal handgun. By default, that gives him more rights than I have.

Hand guns are made to kill people. That is the sole reason for their invention. To encourage legal ownership, is to encourage murder. We saw that young girl murdered on Younge st. in Toronto by crossfire from a "gang" shootout. Can you imagine the amount of casualties had there been, say 10 citizens who may have pulled their "legal" guns, and fired back at the "gang bangers". Two wrongs, don't make a right! I won't pretend to know the answer to get illegal hand guns off the street. But to have a Trimdingaling running ramped with a "legal" hand gun will not solve a thing! And, although a lot of criminals have hand guns, there are many more who want one, and can't get one. The more people with "legal" hand guns there is, the more hand guns there will be for criminals to steal.

Why not just level the playing field and let everyone buy them legally. Should I not be allowed to possess something just because someone else may steal it? That makes no sense at all. There are many states where people can just walk into a store or fleamarket and purchace a pistol. I do not see any more gun crime in those places than anywhere else. There are some neighbourhoods where there are violent cultures. Just know where they are and don't go there.

As for that incident in Toronto, If the perpetrators feared being shot by citizens, it never would have happened. These hoodlums think of us as scared sheep. That is why they act the way they do. The law protects and encourages them. Whenever there is a shooting, there is a lot of overtime money to be made.

Edited by Trimdingman

Hand guns are made to kill people. That is the sole reason for their invention.

More people are killed each year from medical malpractice than all gun deaths combined.

Does that mean doctors were made to kill people,they sure do by mistakes.

You must fear inanimate objects also.

I can load my gun and put it next to my chainsaw and neither one will hurt anyone until someone picks it up and uses it. You may not like firearms and have a real fear of them but they do nothing on their own.

After Katrina it proves one thing. You can not rely on someone else to protect you or your family. Having a firearm for sport,hunting or defense is a valid enough reason. If your not comfortable owning one do not get one but please keep your stupid non-factual stats to your self.

When something bad happens people like you flock to someone who has a weapon for protection.

you always do ....gay comboy!

You need to stop trolling Dingman, you sexual inclinations are starting to become evident..

More people are killed each year from medical malpractice than all gun deaths combined.

I can load my gun and put it next to my chainsaw and neither one will hurt anyone until someone picks it up and uses it. You may not like firearms and have a real fear of them but they do nothing on their own.

After Katrina it proves one thing. You can not rely on someone else to protect you or your family. Having a firearm for sport,hunting or defense is a valid enough reason. If your not comfortable owning one do not get one but please keep your stupid non-factual stats to your self.

When something bad happens people like you flock to someone who has a weapon for protection.

Yeah, their called the POLICE.

You stupid, ignorant hand gun advocates are about as dumb as a bag of rocks. You want to compare hand gun deaths to car accidents and medical malpractice. Nobody ever said hand guns are the leading cause of death. You mean people actually died before hand guns where invented? When someone pulls a gun, and purposefully shoots another human being, it is the most cowardly act one can bestow on another.

No shit, a hand gun can't hurt someone until someone actually picks it up and uses it, I had no idea!

"Non-factual stats"; OK genius, where is my non-factual stat. The only stat I came close to making was "hand guns were invented to kill people". Maybe I should have said shoot, instead of kill, my apologies.

If there was another purpose, (for their invention, I know you can hunt with a hand gun, but that is not the reason they came to be) please fill us in, I can't wait!

what you want to bite me in my ass ??

you sick, kermit the frog!

You are into puppets now? The depth of your depravity knows no bounds.

Charly, are you getting so exited over this kind of talk that you cannot even remember who said what? (Sorry, Pump)

Edited by Trimdingman

You are into puppets now? The depth of your depravity knows no bounds.

Pump, are you getting so exited over this kind of talk that you cannot even remember who said what?

when are you going to IRAQ ? come on big tough dingaling !

you can trash talk but dont want to back it up ??

i want to see you back it up in IRAQ??

you chicken shit hawk!

when are you going to IRAQ ? come on big tough dingaling !

you can trash talk but dont want to back it up ??

i want to see you back it up in IRAQ??

you chicken shit hawk!

Why don't you go and have a candle light vigil. You can sing come by yeah as you fuck yourself up the ass with the candle.

Edited by Trimdingman

I do not feel the need to be armed living in Ontario; however, I do not like it when the government can tell me that I cannot own a handgun. It is none of their business what I own. Some day there could be danger in this area. They could open up a half-way house near-by. You never know when you are going to need protection. The number of break-and-entries would drop drasticly if the burglars feared that the home-owners may be armed. Bank and store hold-ups would end. I would rather be shot to death than stabbed or bludgeoned to death.

If someone has broken into your house your gun would be useless, by time you find the keys, open the lock box, remove the trigger lock and load it the burgler would have there knofe or gun to your head.

If someone has broken into your house your gun would be useless, by time you find the keys, open the lock box, remove the trigger lock and load it the burgler would have there knofe or gun to your head.

In my world, the gun would be loaded and handy. The kids would know better than to touch it. There were often loaded guns in the house when I was a kid. I knew gun safety. Always assume that a gun is loaded. Never point a gun at anyone, even if you know that it is not loaded.

Which will bring about the next point. Crime rates are increasing in Canada. But they are also rising in the US. Given the difference in accessibility to firearms, why is that? By the premise of "protection", then the US crime rate should be falling while Canada's is rising. Is it?

There are other factors at work here in both countries. Apart from firearms control.

:lol: That's true enough!

You might feel better sucking your thumb and calling everyone pinkos and commies, but take away your gun, do you think you could protect yourself? Doesn't sound like it.

The "right to bear arms" has nothing to do with being scared. Owning an Uzi and keeping it under your bed "for protection" does. :rolleyes:

Who said I had an Uzi under my bed? I can handle myself with or without a gun but I prefer to have one to protect my family when some of your crazed gay buddies try to enter my home with a felony in mind.......you must be a really scared guy if saying I'm scared is all you can hit with; either that or you lack intelligence....not sure which. Anyway when the time comes and your house is invaded God forbid, I hope you can unlock your gun cabinet quick enough to defend yourself or family if you have one....Ever think about the fact that if the Govt controls whether or not you can purchase guns, that they'll be able to control whatever they want? That's the idea behind the right to bear arms.....it allows the citizenry to defend itself from tyranny by govt.....ever consider that numbnuts? I'm sorry, go ahead and call your Mommy to ask what she thinks first......or consult with your gay buddy IM outthere...I'm sure he can give you some good advice.....

Why don't you go and have a candle light vigil. You can sing come by yeah as you fuck yourself up the ass with the candle.

my o my.....so nasty....you gone and done it again....why dont you go lick the banana that you fucked your horse's ass with !

Who said I had an Uzi under my bed?

You are so full of shit, you can't keep your own garbage straight. Remember this?

What an idiotic approcah to gun ownership and self-defense......the fact I may have an Uzi under my bed is what discourages your crack pipe smokin friends from just walkin into my humble abode. Both the crackheads and the slantyeyed commies better think twice about it.

If you think that you need one just in case one of your redneck Deliverance inbred cousins come callin to make you squeel like a pig, then you really are a thumb-sucking, knee-shaking coward.

You should seek help. either being bullied in grade school has caused long-term psychological damage, or you need glasses to help find that miniscule flap of skin you call a penis.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

You are so full of shit, you can't keep your own garbage straight. Remember this?

If you think that you need one just in case one of your redneck Deliverance inbred cousins come callin to make you squeel like a pig, then you really are a thumb-sucking, knee-shaking coward.

You should seek help. either being bullied in grade school has caused long-term psychological damage, or you need glasses to help find that miniscule flap of skin you call a penis.

Um, redneck would be a racist slur and those should be avoided.

I did not. I quoted you directly.

Nothing was said about "terrorists" being out and about, what was said is "their ethnic background" as if every person from the Middle East is a suspect. That is not the case, nor is it even close to being the case.

You can RahRahRah America all you like, racisim isn't what my Grandfather spent nearly 30 years in the USAF fighting for.

Nobody here is supporting, condoning, admiring or celebrating terrorism. But rejoicing that people, who are American citizens, of Muslim origin had to hide from FEAR of being attacked by some Right Wing NUTBAR for something that they had absolutley nothing to do with is a TRAVESTY and speaks volumes.

"This group took steps to acquire three tonnes of ammonium nitrate and

other components necessary to create explosive devices," said Assistant

Commissioner Mike McDonell. "To put this in context, the 1995 bombing of the

Murrah Federal Building in Oklahoma City that killed 168 people took one tonne

of ammonium nitrate."

Arrested and charged with offences under the Criminal Code of Canada are:

1. Fahim Ahmad, 21, of Robinstone Drive, Toronto, Ontario;

2. Zakaria Amara, 20, of Periwinkle Crescent, Mississauga, Ontario;

3. Asad Ansari, 21, of Rosehurst Drive, Mississauga, Ontario;

4. Shareef Abdelhaleen, 30, of Lowville Heights, Mississauga, Ontario;

5. Qayyum Abdul Jamal, 43, of Montevideo Road, Mississauga, Ontario;

6. Mohammed Dirie, 22, Kingston, Ontario;

7. Yasim Abdi Mohamed, 24, Kingston, Ontario;

8. Jahmaal James, 23, of Trudelle Street, Toronto, Ontario;

9. Amin Mohamed Durrani, 19, of Stonehill Court, Toronto, Ontario;

10. Steven Vikash Chand alias Abdul Shakur, 25, of Treverton Drive, Toronto, Ontario;

11. Ahmad Mustafa Ghany, 21, of Robin Drive, Mississauga, Ontario;

12. Saad Khalid, 19, of Eclipse Avenue, Mississauga, Ontario.

Facts are facts, why look for a cat when it's the dogs that are rabid!

We also hunt with our hand guns, I hate to bow hunt for bear without a .50 caliber to walk me back to my truck or boat. I feel that gives me an almost equal chance.

an equal chance of what?

Not having the bear fire back?

Here are the facts for the misinformed:

Firearm Safety In America 2006

The number of privately owned guns in the U.S. is at an all-time high, and rises by about 4.5 million per year.1 Meanwhile, the nation's violent crime rate has decreased every year since 1991 and is now at a 30-year low.2 Below, statistics from 1981 forward are from the National Center for Health Statistics,3 while those prior to 1981 are from the National Safety Council.4 The NCHS' annual numbers, rates and trends of common accidents and selected other causes of death, for the U.S., each state, and the District of Columbia, are available on the NRA-ILA website in spreadsheet format.5

Firearm accident deaths have been decreasing for decades. Since 1930, their annual number has decreased 77%, while the U.S. population has more than doubled and the number of firearms has quintupled. Among children, such deaths have decreased 90% since 1975.

Firearm accident deaths are at an all-time annual low, nationally and among children, while the U.S. population is at an all-time high. In 2003, there were 762 such deaths nationally, including 56 among children. Today, the odds are more than a million to one against a child in the U.S. dying from a firearm accident.

The firearm accident death rate is at an all-time annual low, 0.25 per 100,000 population, down 93% since the all-time high in 1904.

Firearms are involved in 1% of all deaths, and 1% of all deaths among children. Deaths involving firearms have decreased 24% since 1993.

Firearms are involved in 0.65% of accidental deaths nationally, and in 1% among children. Most accidental deaths involve, or are due to, motor vehicles (40%), poisoning (17%), falls (15%), suffocation (5%), drowning (3%), fires (3%), medical mistakes (2%), environmental factors (1%), and bicycles and tricycles (1%). Among children: motor vehicles (45%), suffocation (16%), drowning (15%), fires (9%), bicycles and tricycles (2%), poisoning (2%), falls (2%), environmental factors (2%), and medical mistakes (1%).

Education decreases accidents. Voluntary firearms safety training, not government intrusion, has decreased firearms accidents. NRA firearm safety programs are conducted by 62,000 NRA Certified Instructors and Coaches nationwide. Youngsters learn firearm safety in NRA programs offered through civic groups such as the Boy Scouts, Jaycees, the American Legion, and schools.6 NRA's Eddie Eagle GunSafe® program teaches children pre-K through 6th grade that if they see a firearm without supervision, they should "STOP! Don't Touch. Leave The Area. Tell An Adult." Since 1988, the program has been used by 25,000 schools, civic groups, and law enforcement agencies to reach more than 18 million children.7

The "cars and guns" myth. "Gun control" supporters advocate government intrusion, rather than education, to reduce accidents. They claim that driver licensing and auto registration caused motor vehicle accident deaths to decline between 1968-1991, and that gun registration and gun owner licensing would reduce gun accidents. They ask, "We register drivers and license cars, so why not guns and gun owners?"

Actually, vehicle registration and driver licensing laws were not imposed to reduce accidents, nor did the increased regulation reduce accidents. Most vehicle registration and driver licensing laws were imposed between the world wars, but motor vehicle accident deaths increased sharply after 1930 and didn't begin declining until 1970. And despite more regulation of vehicles and drivers over the years, vehicle accident deaths have increased during the last decade.

Between 1968-1991, the years cited by the anti-gunners, the motor vehicle accident death rate dropped only 37% with vehicle registration and driver licensing, while the firearm accident death rate dropped 50% without gun registration and gun owner licensing. The truth is, the anti-gunners want registration and licensing not for safety, but to erect the record-keeping apparatus necessary to make confiscation of privately owned firearms achievable in the future. The first leader of Handgun Control, Inc. (since renamed the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence) said that registration was the second step in the group's three-step plan to confiscate all handguns.8

Another difference between guns and cars is that the purchase and ownership of arms is a right expressly protected by the constitution, whereas operating a vehicle on public roads is a privilege. A license and registration are not required to merely own a vehicle or operate it on private property, only to do so on public roads. Similarly, a license and permit are not typically required to buy or own a gun, or to keep a gun at home, but are usually required when hunting or carrying a gun for protection in public places.

Anti-gunners' lies about children and guns. Brady Campaign's then-president, Michael Barnes, and Senator Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.) claimed that 12 children die from gun accidents every day. President Bill Clinton campaigned for so-called "triggerlock" and "smart" gun laws, and likely 2008 presidential candidate Hillary Clinton have claimed that 13 children are killed with guns every day. The HELP (Handgun Epidemic Lowering Plan) Network (which is dedicated to "changing society's attitude toward guns so that it becomes socially unacceptable for private citizens to have handguns") put the figure at "an average of 9 children" daily. Other "gun control" advocates have varyingly claimed 14 per day (or 5,000 yearly or one every 90 seconds). Some count anyone under the age of 24 as a "child," to get even higher numbers.9 In fact, on average there is one firearm-related death among children per day, including one accidental death every 6.5 days. Anti-gunners add the relatively small number of firearm-related deaths among children to the much larger number of deaths among juveniles and young adults, and dishonestly call the total "children."

"Gun control" supporters point to a study claiming that so-called "Child Access Prevention" (CAP) laws (which make it a crime, under some circumstances, to leave a gun accessible to a child who obtains and misuses it), imposed in 12 states between 1989-1993, decreased fatal firearm accidents among children.10 The study was produced by people from the Harborview Injury Prevention and Research Center, a group active in the HELP Network. The study's flaws: Firearm accident deaths among children began declining in the mid-1970s, not in 1989, when "CAP" laws were first imposed. Also, such accidents have decreased nationwide, not only in "CAP" states. And, also in 1989, NRA's Eddie Eagle GunSafe Program® was introduced nationwide.

1. See BATFE, "Annual Firearm Manufacturers and Export Reports" (www.atf.gov/firearms/stats/index.htm).

2. FBI, Crime in the United States 2004 (www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius_04/) and BJS (http://bjsdata.ojp.usdoj.gov/dataonline/).

3. See http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/wisqars/or wonder.cdc.gov.

4. Available at http://www.nsc.org//.

5. See www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=127.

6. For more on NRA training programs, visit http://www.nrahq.org/education/index.asp (click "Education and Training") or call 703-267-1500.

7. For more on the Eddie Eagle program, visit www.nrahq.org/safety/eddie/ or call 800-231-0752.

8. Pete Shields, quoted in The New Yorker, "A Reporter At Large: Handguns," July 26, 1976.

9. NRA-ILA "Not 12 Per Day" fact sheet, http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=21

10. Journal of the American Medical Association, Oct. 1, 1997.

Credit to NRA-ILA for above info