CNN names Crown Vic, Mustang great road trip cars

That's bizarre. The Crown Vic would have been a great road trip car 20 years ago, but today, I'll take a Five Hundred. :bandance:

A Mustang? Maybe if you're a teenager, but even my 32 YO spine would have a hard time sitting in those seats for much longer than a 3 hour trip.

That's bizarre. The Crown Vic would have been a great road trip car 20 years ago, but today, I'll take a Five Hundred. :bandance:

A Mustang? Maybe if you're a teenager, but even my 32 YO spine would have a hard time sitting in those seats for much longer than a 3 hour trip.

Yup the 500 is great as long you are not require to pass anything at hyway speed.

Not only that, the ride is not nearly as good in the 500.

Matthew

CNN got it right on the CV. The Crown Vic still has the upper hand for long distance cruising. Good power, great ride, super quiet, plenty of room, good gas mileage, nice options like the air suspension...despite Ford's efforts, they haven't outdone themselves yet with the Panthers. I still view the 500 as a much improved Taurus replacement (needing more power) rather than a Ford flagship sedan.

The new Mustangs seem to be a lot more roomy and comfortable, although I haven't taken a 3 hour trip in one. Despite that, the old Mustangs were pretty good highway cars. My 01 Cobra was very comfortable to spend drive time in...just not all that quiet. That was with my 33 YO spine last year.

Edited by Traveler

I recently rented a Cadillac DTS on a trip to California. I had reserved a Grand Marquis, but was given the DTS. The seats in my 2004 CV are much, much more comfortable than those in the DTS. After an hour of driving the DTS, my back and right leg ached. I never have any discomfort from driving my CV, even though I did like the Northstar V8, the steering, and the heavy solid doors of the DTS.

The new Mustangs seem to be a lot more roomy and comfortable, although I haven't taken a 3 hour trip in one. Despite that, the old Mustangs were pretty good highway cars.

True enough..I took quite a few 2-3 day road trips in my '87 GT back in the '90s... E. Ohio to S. Florida, E. Ohio to Boston, SE Michigan to Baltimore, Michigan to Chicago, Michigan to Colorado.. and did a 4+hr trip from SE Michigan to E. Ohio at least once a month from '94-97. The seats in it were very comfortable, and it got great mileage (upper 20s).

Guest Sixcav

Being the owner of an 06 Mustang GT I can atest to the fact that it's perfectly fine on road trips. A friend of mine and I recently did a 5 hour road trip to a car show. Both of us are on the back side of 32 and it did very well. We were both perfectly comfortable. Now I should point out that we both exercise daily so that may play a factor. But I was just fine, quite comfortable. I don't know if it would make a difference having the cloth seats. I have the leather seats and I've been advised they are a little more comfortable. Could be I guess.

And now it's time for the dancing banana :bandance: