Ford may boost Fusion/Milan/Z production to meet growing demand

range

Big Three sales fall in May

Rising interest rates, gas prices cited for keeping customers away from auto showrooms.

May is shaping up to be another lackluster month for Detroit's automakers, as rising interest rates and gasoline prices turn some shoppers away from dealer lots.

While sales results will not be released until Thursday, some dealers have seen demand decline slightly over the past few weeks

Patel said the automaker may actually boost production by 2 percent to keep up with growing demand for its new mid-sized sedans.

LINK

Big Three sales fall in May

Rising interest rates, gas prices cited for keeping customers away from auto showrooms.

May is shaping up to be another lackluster month for Detroit's automakers, as rising interest rates and gasoline prices turn some shoppers away from dealer lots.

While sales results will not be released until Thursday, some dealers have seen demand decline slightly over the past few weeks

Patel said the automaker may actually boost production by 2 percent to keep up with growing demand for its new mid-sized sedans.

LINK

Wait a minute...I thought most around here predicted those models would be complete failures. GM is going to run into problems worse then Ford once their all new full sized SUV's start to cool off, which is already starting to happen with the high fuel prices. Chrysler is expected to be down almost as much as Ford, yet everyone around here says they are doing everything right by having rear wheel drive. Hmm...looks like the Japanese can't do anything wrong anymore. In 10 years looks like all you will have is Japanese or Korean vehicles to drive.

Edited by 2005Explorer

Wait a minute...I thought most around here predicted those models would be complete failures. GM is going to run into problems worse then Ford once their all new full sized SUV's start to cool off, which is already starting to happen with the high fuel prices. Chrysler is expected to be down almost as much as Ford, yet everyone around here says they are doing everything right by having rear wheel drive. Hmm...looks like the Japanese can't do anything wrong anymore. In 10 years looks like all you will have is Japanese or Korean vehicles to drive.

And Chinese ones or Mexican/Japanese ones like the Fusion.

Edited by Bluecon

And Chinese ones or Mexican/Japanese ones like the Fusion.

Cut your crap! It is an American car that is assembled in Mexico. Ford is employing lots of U.S. workers in engineering, finance, marketing, supply chain/procurement to create products like the Fusion. When the majority of the strategy, design and financing comes from Mexico/Japan then you can talk.

Cut your crap! It is an American car that is assembled in Mexico. Ford is employing lots of U.S. workers in engineering, finance, marketing, supply chain/procurement to create products like the Fusion. When the majority of the strategy, design and financing comes from Mexico/Japan then you can talk.

So is Toyota!

PS We still have some free speach even in Canada. Therefore I can talk when I want to!

Well, GM and Mopar-strudel make cars in MEX also, and have Asian partners too.

It is funny that the Hemi is made in Mexico and nobody seems to notice.

But look at the Caliber--made in USA and a roaring success or the new 4 cylinder engine made in the USA.

Lasorda is a plant guy. His family had about 10 kids and he has been involved in the auto industry since he was a young child. He knows all about producing cars. No silver spooner like Bill Ford or living in Florida like Fields.(what the hell is that all about?) I think this is a big plus for Chrysler.

I think the difference is that Chrysler has figured out how to cut cost and produce cars in the USA or Canada better than Ford. That said you still need the right product.

Edited by Bluecon

I think the difference is that Chrysler has figured out how to cut cost and produce cars in the USA or Canada better than Ford. That said you still need the right product.

I don't really think it was so much that Chrysler was any smarter about it really, they just had the fortune of already being much closer to the "right size" for the market than Ford. Ford used to have a CONSIDERABLY larger share of the market and was therefore saddled with much more unnecessary infrastructure that wasn't and couldn't be utilized. Of course, Ford should have realized this trend many many years earlier, but I wouldn't say they were any later or worse in figuring it out than Chrysler.