What fuel do you use?

otaku

Ok so the fuel cap says E10 is fine but would the engine run better and get better mileage and last longer without repairs if I ran traditional gas and not E10? My E10 is from chevron and I believe there is only one gas station without E10.

Ok so the fuel cap says E10 is fine but would the engine run better and get better mileage and last longer without repairs if I ran traditional gas and not E10? My E10 is from chevron and I believe there is only one gas station without E10.

Hi otaku. :D Assuming all other variables are equal (i.e. octane rating, fuel quality etc.), yes, you will definitely get better fuel mileage with "traditional gas".

As to running better and lasting longer without repairs. Well, conventional wisdom says that over the long run "traditional gas" will be better. But it is less clear cut and quantifiable than the mileage question.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi otaku. :D Assuming all other variables are equal (i.e. octane rating, fuel quality etc.), yes, you will definitely get better fuel mileage with "traditional gas".

As to running better and lasting longer without repairs. Well, conventional wisdom says that over the long run "traditional gas" will be better. But it is less clear cut and quantifiable than the mileage question.

I am not 100% sure, but I've heard that the alcohol additive in the E10 will break down any rubber components add clog the fuel filter tha is IN th fuel tank...the repair shops will want to drop the tan, but an easy way is to just pull the back seat,,still expensive either way though to save a few cents on gas.. :stop:

I am not 100% sure, but I've heard that the alcohol additive in the E10 will break down any rubber components add clog the fuel filter tha is IN th fuel tank...the repair shops will want to drop the tan, but an easy way is to just pull the back seat,,still expensive either way though to save a few cents on gas.. :stop:

Hi Ckr01. :D Not sure why you quoted me, as I clearly stated that "traditional gasoline will give better fuel mileage and "As to running better and lasting longer without repairs. Well, conventional wisdom says that over the long run "traditional gas" will be better."

In other words, conventional wisdom states that "traditional" non-ethanol gasoline will cause less repair problems and give better day-to-day use over the long run.

My reply did not advocate using E-10. I prefer regular gasoline, although it is harder and harder to find nowadays.

In addition, while your comments definitely apply to older vehicles, newer vehicles "supposedly" have components that are not susceptible to the problems you mention. That is why I added the "But it is less clear cut and quantifiable than the mileage question." Because there is some debate on the issue as it pertains to the newer technology cars hitting the road currently.

However, I still prefer regular, non-ethanol gasoline.

Hope that clears up any confusion.

Edited by bbf2530

E10 won't harm a modern engine, but lots of fuel system components were designed with regular gas in mind. In particular, make sure you change your fuel filter per your manual (30k miles I believe).

I believe we have a state law that mandates E10 now. It's annoying. There's a noticeable increase in mileage when we buy gas in states that still have regular gasoline.

• 4 months later...

It is my understanding that the federal government passed a ruling several years ago that allowed E10 to be sold as "gasoline" with no special labeling. This means you can get anything from E00 to E10 anytime you fill up !

It is also my understanding that what you get depends a lot on where you live. If you live in the Midwest, you are probably getting E10 all of the time. It varies a lot in other parts of the country.

I am not 100% sure, but I've heard that the alcohol additive in the E10 will break down any rubber components add clog the fuel filter tha is IN th fuel tank...

Get up with the times !

Pure "rubber" components have not been used in probably over 20-30 years. 10% ethanol will not hurt any of the rubber blends that have been used in that period of time.

Most clogged fuel filters where found on older engines (like lawn mowers, boats, etc.) where gunk had collected in the tank over many years. The E10 acts like a "cleaning agent" putting the crud on the bottom of the tank back into suspension in the fuel. Once the tank was thoroughly cleaned out (multiple tanks of E10 and likely multiple fuel filters) the engine runs fine.

Got any proof of that statement ?

Seems like everyone in the industry is fighting going to E15 !

My bad. I checked my textbook and 10% is the limit.

As to the labeling of E10, a lot of states use E10 as an oxidized gas for winter-use after MTBE was banned.