A closer look at the Mustang's 5.0L V8

While some in this Forum are inclined to believe that the GM LS series of V8's is the pinnacle hotrod engine, I believe that Ford is committed to the Mod beyond cost saving existing machinery determining bore-spacing.

This new 5.0 is an evolution of the original Romeo built 2v SOHC Mod introduced in 1991. When you consider the variations of this engine 4v, and supercharging were part of the plan from the get go. I have a model of a 1993 Cobra prototype that featured the 4v SC that was introduced 10 years later. 3v variants were an evolution of the 4v in terms of output with fewer parts and greater efficiency with variable valve timing.

Now we have the next Generation high output Mod; the 5.0 Coyote. Engineered from knowledge learned from racing 4v engines since the introduction of the Cobra DOHC 4v in 1996, it features better cooling, stronger block and rods, and way better heads. It makes more hp on 87 octane than the very rare hand built 2000 Cobra R 5.4 DOHC (375 hp).

While not everyone will agree with me regarding Fords decision to abandon cam in block V8's (and I love short deck SBF's!!), I don't think you can deny Fords leadership in the area of V8 innovation. I submit that Ford has always lead (with exceptions) in this area and while your typical bowtie boy will bemoan about Fords dizzying array of V8 combinations - I find that to be its strength and leadership. It isn't that hard to figure out anyway if you know what you are doing - and putting together a winning Ford just takes the will to do it - like anything else.

Ford is the only domestic that has a high performance V8 with the most flexibility in head design - cam in block is always a compromise as you have to make room for pushrods around your intake passage. While the LS with its cathedral style intake ports (tall and narrow) was a novel approach to this, Overhead cam(s) allows for much greater freedom of design. Another compromise with a 2v (LS) is the need for a large bore; this is needed if you want big and unshrouded valves. A long stroke motor (with 4 smaller valves) will typically make more efficent power by way of greater leverage and longer and more complete combustion...piston speed is not an issue with a fully conterweighted crank and lightweight rods and pistons.

The 5.0 is a work of art built from the knowledge based on racing and an uncompromising design - all hail the future of the small block American V8!

Edited by Project-Fairmont

Funny, the GT500 has had an iron block in that same chassis since 2007. Plus a big arse blower on top...

Yeah, and the GT500 is as nose heavy as a FWD car. IMHO, the weight distribution of the Shelby is its worst trait by a huge margin.

Edited by atvman