Chicago Assembly Plant

chassisgrunt

excuse my ignorance on what may be a well known subject. is there any word on when, or if, CAP will be adding another shift. it has been my understanding that the plant has been on one shift for about a year, but is expecting to add another shift this year. any word on that?

thanks.

Looks like it will happen around September 2010

Edited by 551member

Yea if LAP is able to follow the Explorer to Chicago,that will be a mess cause we all know once LAP is retooled all those that went to Chicago from LAP will then go back to LAP which will cause Chicago to have to fill a whole shift again..

LAP will not even start new production til sometime in 2011, according to who you believe.

Yea if LAP is able to follow the Explorer to Chicago,that will be a mess cause we all know once LAP is retooled all those that went to Chicago from LAP will then go back to LAP which will cause Chicago to have to fill a whole shift again..

I'm pretty sure that if they follow their product to Chicago they can not go back to LAP. Chicago becomes their home plant.

Temp posting for out of state,I doubt it......If thats the case then there should be a Temp posting for people to go to Twin Cities....

Really?dude we had people go to dearborn fron ohio on a temp posting they were low seniority scared to death about to lose everything they had the company knows this. Then why did one of my reps tell me that sandusky was needind more people in feb. and would be open to ohio,mich.and ky people also possibly dearborn as well as far as TC why would you go to a facility that was slated to close in 2011.

thanks for the info. the reason for my asking is because i am one of the approx. 250 people on ILO from LAP. some of us, although not a majority i am sure, would like to go up to chicago for a year or so until our plant is retooled. the other 800 still working would have no desire to go to CAP because during retool they will be classified as TLO for the approx. 6-10 month retool.

good luck to everyone looking for work.

Why would anyone from LAP have the right to follow the explorer to CAP. Shouldn't laid off workers have the right to a job first. You are still working in LAP!

LAP is only running one shift.Our 2nd shift is on ILO and has been since last July.In November 2010 the rest of the people at LAP will be on TLO(so they say) while/if LAP is re-tooled.So you see our 2nd shift is laid off now and most are already drawing TAP.The Explorer is LAP's product,so we do have the right to follow it if we are laid off.But looking back on the way that FORD and the IUAW fucked LAP last year anything is possible!

Edited by Bowie

I've not seen any Temp Production jobs come open for out of state.....If you say so,ok..

Looks like there will be a announcement tomorrow.

Ford adding 1,200 workers to build Explorers at Torrence Ave.

By: John Pletz Jan. 25, 2010

(Crain’s) — Ford Motor Co. plans to add 1,200 jobs when it begins making the Explorer sport-utility vehicle at its Far South Side factory on Torrence Avenue later this year, Crain’s has learned.

Gov. Pat Quinn is due to join Ford executives when they announce the Explorer production at 9 a.m. Tuesday at the plant near 130th Street. Plans to bring the Explorer from Louisville, Ky., to the under-utilized Chicago plant were first reported by Crain’s nearly a year ago. The move was helped by recent tax credits approved by Mr. Quinn.

Adding the Explorer probably will mean bringing a second shift back to the Torrence Avenue plant, which has been down to one shift for the past year. The factory now employs about 1,400 workers.

Ford’s parts-stamping plant in Chicago Heights, which employs about 750 workers, also would be helped by the arrival of another vehicle at Torrence Avenue.

Ford is spending hundreds of millions of dollars in Illinois on launching the new Explorer model that will be built here. It has been retrofitting the plant for months.

The Explorer, one of Ford’s most popular vehicles, has been redesigned for a smaller, more fuel-efficient car platform that’s produced at the Chicago plant. The new Explorer is expected to go on sale in the new model year starting in August or September and likely would be the plant’s highest-volume vehicle.

It’s the latest good news involving the Torrence Avenue plant, which last year began making a redesigned Taurus. The new Taurus has been selling better than previous models, as Ford benefits from domestic buyers spooked by the bankruptcies of General Motors Corp. and Chrysler.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20100126/AUTO01/1260339/Ford-to-announce-1-200-Chicago-jobs

Ford has about 600 workers on indefinite layoff nationwide. They will be given first priority for the Chicago positions.

But the remaining 600 positions could be filled with new hires, as long as the economy does not force the automaker to idle workers at other plants, the source said.

That would enable Ford to finally take advantage of a key provision of its 2007 labor agreement with the United Auto Workers that allows the company to pay new hires about half of what current assembly line workers make.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20100126/AUTO01/1260339/Ford-to-announce-1-200-Chicago-jobs#ixzz0dj18YyHp

What makes you think they will offer the moving allowance? don,t be shocked if they offer it as a temp posting with jsp gone the company can starve people out and starve them into going.

What source, have you any info on those jobs being temp?None? Just stirring shit-up or maybe you don't what you're talking about?

http://www.detroitne...00-Chicago-jobs

"Ford has about 600 workers on indefinite layoff nationwide. They will be given first priority for the Chicago positions.

But the remaining 600 positions could be filled with new hires, as long as the economy does not force the automaker to idle workers at other plants, the source said"

What source, have you any info on those jobs being temp?None? Just stirring shit-up or maybe you don't what you're talking about?

http://www.detroitne...00-Chicago-jobs

"Ford has about 600 workers on indefinite layoff nationwide. They will be given first priority for the Chicago positions.

But the remaining 600 positions could be filled with new hires, as long as the economy does not force the automaker to idle workers at other plants, the source said"

Again with no jsp they can starve people into going jackass. 600 ilo plus those who can follow the product to cap from lap I bet nationwide 400 don,t go. no shit to be started what seems more practical and cheaper. our great union negotiated this temp deal how many preferrential placed jobs have you seen lately hmmmm.

Again with no jsp they can starve people into going jackass. 600 ilo plus those who can follow the product to cap from lap I bet nationwide 400 don,t go. no shit to be started what seems more practical and cheaper. our great union negotiated this temp deal how many preferrential placed jobs have you seen lately hmmmm.

No facts no sources, What a wealth of information you are! You should apply for a job at Fox News. Glen Beck could take you right under his wing. I doubt those 600ilo will be offered temp job to mvve to CAP. I guess we'll see.

No facts no sources, What a wealth of information you are! You should apply for a job at Fox News. Glen Beck could take you right under his wing. I doubt those 600ilo will be offered temp job to mvve to CAP. I guess we'll see.

Just remember , you are the ones paying 2 hours a months pay to get Fucked, it is one thing to get screwed by the company, they are paying you pretty good, but it is another thing to have to pay someone to fuck you. Say thanks to the UAW and ask them where is your reach around. Just take the buyout, move on with your life or quit complaining.

There is life without Ford motor Co. and it is much less stressful. I know where I will be living and working tomorrow. The Union is nothing of what it once was or what it was intended to be, just how much control does the working man have over what his union does??? Sounds just like our Federal Gov. don't it. Do you really think the UAW was set up to be run just like the Fed gov.???Learn that being happy can't be bought with money and that life is to short to worry about it everyday, Learn to live within your means.

Believe me people life is better without Ford and you will never regret being happy.

I DON't......

We were told at LAP that we will be able to follow the Explorer to CAP.Does anybody at CAP have any info on this?I suspect we will be hearing more about transfers soon.

Here we go, you going to CAP? My bet is NO. You couldn't handle the climate change. And F. O. in advance.

Here we go, you going to CAP? My bet is NO. You couldn't handle the climate change. And F. O. in advance.

LAP people are going to be surveyed soon for transfers to CAP.This a fact,like it or not!And you can F.O. right now a-hole!!!!

http://scottrlap.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gossip&action=display&thread=7156

http://scottrlap.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=gossip&thread=7185&page=1#29068

LAP people are going to be surveyed soon for transfers to CAP.This a fact,like it or not!And you can F.O. right now a-hole!!!!

http://scottrlap.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gossip&action=display&thread=7156

http://scottrlap.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=gossip&thread=7185&page=1#29068

Why? your getting a product right ? the cost of living up there is higher than detroit .