Ford and UAW reach tentative health-care pact

Len_A

From MarketWatch.com (Link Here)

Ford, UAW in tentative health-care pact

By Mark Cotton, MarketWatch

Last Update: 3:23 PM ET Dec. 10, 2005

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Ford Motor Company and the United Auto Workers union have reached a tentative agreement on future employee health-care coverage, the union said Saturday.

Details of the agreement are being withheld pending a meeting of the UAW-Ford Council, which is being scheduled for next week in Detroit.

The agreement is subject to ratification by UAW-Ford active members and court approval.

"Like UAW-GM health-care agreement, this tentative agreement asks every UAW member, active and retired, to make sacrifices so that everyone can continue to receive excellent health-care coverage today and in the future," said UAW President Ron Gettelfinger and Vice-President Gerald Banton, who directs the UAW National Ford Department.

In October, General Motors Corp. struck a deal with the UAW that slashed health-care costs for retirees by $15 billion and cut its annual employee health-care expenses by about $3 billion a year. See full story.

Ford has been seeking health-care concessions from its workers as part of a broader plan to cut costs. The automaker is struggling in its main U.S. market.

In November, total vehicle sales fell 15%, unadjusted for an extra selling day in November 2005, to 201,711 vehicles compared with last year. Car sales fell 7% while truck sales declined 18%. Still, total sales advanced 1% from last month's dismal industry results.

The UAW said Ford informed the union it would unveil a much-anticipated turnaround plan on Jan 23.

The Dearborn, Mich. company is reportedly planning to cut as many as 30,000 jobs and close at least 10 plants in the next five years. Read more

A previous restructuring announced by Chairman and Chief Executive Bill Ford Jr. would have cut about 20,000 job cuts in its North American operations.

On Friday, Ford shares rose a penny to $8.18.

Mark Cotton is a reporter for MarketWatch in New York.

From MarketWatch.com (Link Here)

Ford, UAW in tentative health-care pact

By Mark Cotton, MarketWatch

Last Update: 3:23 PM ET Dec. 10, 2005

NEW YORK (MarketWatch) -- Ford Motor Company and the United Auto Workers union have reached a tentative agreement on future employee health-care coverage, the union said Saturday.

Details of the agreement are being withheld pending a meeting of the UAW-Ford Council, which is being scheduled for next week in Detroit.

The agreement is subject to ratification by UAW-Ford active members and court approval.

"Like UAW-GM health-care agreement, this tentative agreement asks every UAW member, active and retired, to make sacrifices so that everyone can continue to receive excellent health-care coverage today and in the future," said UAW President Ron Gettelfinger and Vice-President Gerald Banton, who directs the UAW National Ford Department.

In October, General Motors Corp. struck a deal with the UAW that slashed health-care costs for retirees by $15 billion and cut its annual employee health-care expenses by about $3 billion a year. See full story.

Ford has been seeking health-care concessions from its workers as part of a broader plan to cut costs. The automaker is struggling in its main U.S. market.

In November, total vehicle sales fell 15%, unadjusted for an extra selling day in November 2005, to 201,711 vehicles compared with last year. Car sales fell 7% while truck sales declined 18%. Still, total sales advanced 1% from last month's dismal industry results.

The UAW said Ford informed the union it would unveil a much-anticipated turnaround plan on Jan 23.

The Dearborn, Mich. company is reportedly planning to cut as many as 30,000 jobs and close at least 10 plants in the next five years. Read more

A previous restructuring announced by Chairman and Chief Executive Bill Ford Jr. would have cut about 20,000 job cuts in its North American operations.

On Friday, Ford shares rose a penny to $8.18.

Mark Cotton is a reporter for MarketWatch in New York.

lol then we all agree to it then get laid off

Football and Pioneer,

Generally I don't agree with you two, but in this instance I believe you two are 100% correct. It is ridiculous for us to vote yes until they tell us the contents of the restructuring plan.

Many might say these are two seperate issues, but I disagree. What they are doing is requesting we give back in support of the company, and that is fine. But, if we are giving back........and actually investing in a different company than the one we now see with those givebacks, then it is only fair that we know what we are investing in looks like!!!!!

It irks me that the UAW will attempt to even try doing this first, as if it passes, it is everyones future cash that will be invested in a future entity we know little about besides it is called Ford.

Yes, we must have confidence (like it or not) in the glasshouses decisions, but that does not let the UAW of the hook for at least allowing us a preview of what our "savings to the company" will be invested in.

This is another typical UAW "end around" as they believe we are to stupid, or not worth the time and effort, to explain what is going on to us; while being afraid if they do, there may be dissension in the ranks.

Guess if you want more information in THIS union and won't vote the party line, you are labeled a troublemaker or anti-union.

Hey..........UAW.............diversity?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Diversty in thinking.,.,.,.,.,.,.,., MY GLORIOUS POSTERIOR!!!

P.S. Guys/gals, see we can find common ground on which to stand. I personally believe the UAW fears that more than they fear anything else. As long as we wrangle about who did what to whom, they looooove it as we look at each other instead of them.

We must find much more ground like this, and very possibly begin together to ask pertinent questions to our leaders, who of course will not want to give uncomfortable answers. Let us continue on!!!!

Edited by Imawhosure

I will vote NO for ratification, if they make us vote on it before the restructuring is announced.

me too, they have somthing up their sleeve(ford) voting before they tell us the new restructing plan would stupid and ford knows that guess well have to wait and see

I will vote NO for ratification, if they make us vote on it before the restructuring is announced.

GM-UAW has already voted to accept the agreement, so Ford is going to have to get the same deal, everyone knows that. Do you want GM to have a cost advantage over Ford? The ratification is needed BEFORE the restructuring because if we don't accept the deal then the cutbacks and plant closings are probably going be more severe than if it is accepted.

We need to accept the deal and hope the drastic measures being taken in the restructuring are enough to stem losses and further cuts won't be necessary in the future.

GM-UAW has already voted to accept the agreement, so Ford is going to have to get the same deal, everyone knows that. Do you want GM to have a cost advantage over Ford? The ratification is needed BEFORE the restructuring because if we don't accept the deal then the cutbacks and plant closings are probably going be more severe than if it is accepted.

We need to accept the deal and hope the drastic measures being taken in the restructuring are enough to stem losses and further cuts won't be necessary in the future.

No we DON'T, at least not until AFTER we see the restructuring. No one here is saying we won't vote for it, all we are saying is, "it is only fair that we see where the cash WE ARE PROMISED UNTIL 2007 is going!

The concept is, until 2007 it is OUR MONEY.(novel isn't it) And if they want it, show us where it is going. It is just like retirement benefits my friend, they have to FUND it unless we say they don't and change OUR minds.

Now then, they want it.........fine........show us what is going on.

As far as GM having a cost advantage; again, no one said we wouldn't ratify after we see the restructuring plan. But then, Toyoty has had an advantage for years, on years, on years. Where was this "advantage" talk from you guys..........say 4 to 8yrs ago?????? Who is killing us more->GM or Toyoty??????

Any suggestion this company can't hold out financially for three extra weeks is ludicrous.

You sir, are under the concept that the sky is falling today, so lets make any decision......even if a bad one instantly, and to hell with the long term effects of the "sheep mentality!"

Just because we are UAW does not mean we are sheep to be herded by the "sheep herder,"(UAW) and we deserve to know what this company will look like if they want us to give "gauranteed" cash back to them for investment.

The UAW always talks about "RESPECT!" Well in this instance, I sure do NOT think they are respecting you/me/ or the rest of the members; asking us to do this blindly. Does anyone else agree???????

P.S. As you all know, for the most part I bleed "Ford Blue!" But this has not as much to do with Ford, as it does with the UAWs insistance that we vote first!!! They are denying you the right to make your voting decision with all the pertinent facts in hand. While I am sure I am just "whistling into the wind" here and the vote will pass, (making the previous sheep....er I mean poster happy) it goes without saying that you are being led into a blind alley, and once passed, you have no retreat. This will make the international very happy, as they won't have to answer your irrate phone calls while they play golf in Florida, lolol!!!

Ford will win the concessions and that is good for all of us. The union will have again denied you all factual information on which to base your vote, and that should be thought of as ALL BAD!!!!!

Edited by Imawhosure

Just because we are UAW does not mean we are sheep to be herded by the "sheep herder,"(UAW) and we deserve to know what this company will look like if they want us to give "gauranteed" cash back to them for investment.

The UAW always talks about "RESPECT!" Well in this instance, I sure do NOT think they are respecting you/me/ or the rest of the members; asking us to do this blindly. Does anyone else agree???????

P.S. As you all know, for the most part I bleed "Ford Blue!" But this has not as much to do with Ford, as it does with the UAWs insistance that we vote first!!! They are denying you the right to make your voting decision with all the pertinent facts in hand. While I am sure I am just "whistling into the wind" here and the vote will pass, (making the previous sheep....er I mean poster happy) it goes without saying that you are being led into a blind alley, and once passed, you have no retreat. This will make the international very happy, as they won't have to answer your irrate phone calls while they play golf in Florida, lolol!!!

Ford will win the concessions and that is good for all of us. The union will have again denied you all factual information on your vote, and that should be thought of as ALL BAD!!!!!

I agree. I really do not like how this is unfolding either. I don't think it is asking to much to see all the cards before we're asked to ante up.

Ford Motor Company and the United Auto Workers entered into a bilateral agreement which is to remain in effect until 2007.

On page 14U - Unpublished Letters

Dear Mr. Bantom:

Subject: Plant Closing and Sale Moratorium Exceptions

During the term of the 2003 Agreement, Ford Motor Company may consider, as exceptions to the Plant Closing and Sale Moratorium letter of understanding: Edison Assembly Plant, Vulcan Forge Plant, Cleveland Aluminum Casting Plant, and Lorain Assembly Plant.

In addition, Woodhaven Forging Plant may be considered for sale or close during the term of this Agreement by mutual agreement of the parties.

Very truly yours,

Rick E. Poynter, Director

US Union Affairs

Union Affairs

Then please refer to page 115 on the Letters of Understanding, it very clearly spells out what they can and cannot do during the life of this agreement.

What is the point of the membership ratifying a contract if neither the company nor the International have any intention of abiding by it?! And to possibly expect us to accept these concessions mid-contract prior to a restructuring announcement is akin to buying a pig in a poke. Are we expected to vote based on Bill Ford's word? I'm sorry but he's not giving off warm fuzzies here! I'm not seeing any greater stability at the helm of the company than when Jacques Nasser was there!

Then please refer to page 115 on the Letters of Understanding, it very clearly spells out what they can and cannot do during the life of this agreement.

What is the point of the membership ratifying a contract if neither the company nor the International have any intention of abiding by it?! And to possibly expect us to accept these concessions mid-contract prior to a restructuring announcement is akin to buying a pig in a poke. Are we expected to vote based on Bill Ford's word? I'm sorry but he's not giving off warm fuzzies here! I'm not seeing any greater stability at the helm of the company than when Jacques Nasser was there!

Spring,

My point is kinda like yours. In these trying times I am willing to at least CONSIDER anything. But doggone all, at least tell us what the total picture of what we are considering is, lolol!!!!

Again, let me point out that it is union leadership who decides when the vote is taken, not Ford.

We who are not happy with a blind ultimatum should keep this in mind.

As far as Bill Ford, other recent CEOs at this company have run us into the ground without them having to deal with soaring gas prices. We should understand he has no control over that aspect of the business, and his hands are tied because of it. If gas was still at 1.40 a gallon, I doubt we would even be having this conversation.

With everything else being considered, with his familys name on the hoods of each and every vehicle we produce, his interest in survival of the company is personal. That is a much better situation than having a "hired gun" making decisions at the helm. Oh sure, "hired guns" are giving him input, but the final decision is his. At least it is his familys money and legacy on the line along with our jobs. That in itself is a good impetus to think he is doing everything he can, as opposed to pretending............while looking for employment elsewhere!

Monday morning

Commiteman to worker "Vote no and they close our plant" end of story. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

Then ask your committeeman if this means if everyone votes yes it means your plant will absolutely, positively, stay open!!!!!

If he answers "yes," ask him/her to then fill you in on the rest of the restructuring deal since knows so much, so as we can all be informed. Obviously, he has seen the documents we are all asking for. He is our brother, help us out here!!

Also, ask him in all decency, to bring up at the meeting to put off the vote till the start of Feb. That means no "no" or "yes" vote till then. As we have all read, the restructuring will not spell out everyone who will close anyway.(at least not naming all the specifics) Your guy must have ESP!!!!!!!!!

Voting yes for Health Care concessions right now would be like voting for a politician and the only thing that you have been told about them is the party that they are running on.I know of a guy whose deductible for injectable medication will jump from $2000(about $180 a month) a year in January and his blood pressure meds will go up 80% and he can't get a generic for them.He has tried lots of other bp meds but none worked.This guy posts in a newsgroup that I visit all the time,and he has been using this newsgroup for a long time(I'll see if I can find out where he works).Why can't Ford/UAW wait until after January?Sounds damned suspicious to me.It is election time in Detroit and Gettlefinger is running again.Hmmm.I will vote NO on concessions until after January and we know what's up Billy's sleeve.

I edited this because after I talked to this guy he told me that the increase for his injectable drugs was $2000 a year not a month.He really didn't want to let it be known where he works.

Edited by Brian502

We all know it does not matter what you vote.....

This will get passed no matter what.

It is the modern Union way.

Your vote means nothing!

If you voted 99% NO, it would still pass......................

Amen - True it will NOT matter who votes or which way you vote.

The UAW will tell you what they want you to hear. The UAW leadership has NO ETHICS!

Voting yes for Health Care concessions right now would be like voting for a politician and the only thing that you have been told about them is the party that they are running on.I know of a guy whose deductible for injectable medication will jump from $40 to $2000 a month in January.This guy posts in a medical newsgroup that I visit all the time,and he has been using this newsgroup for a long time(I'll see if I can find out where he works).Why can't Ford/UAW wait until after January?Sounds damned suspicious to me.It is election time in Detroit and Gettlefinger is running again.Hmmm.I will vote NO on concessions until after January and we know what's up Billy's sleeve.

As far as Gettelfinger "running" again, it's a dog and pony show. The Administrative Caucus has everything wrapped up and have had for years. They only do this psuedo election to give the appearance of democracy in the union. It's a total and complete farce.

Given that National Ford is next week (per another poster - I wonder how many people were aware of this) I would suggest that the rank and file membership send a clear message to their delegates (usually plant chairman, local president and bargaining committee) that National Ford had better represent the interests of the membership and stand firm with the company. There will be no vote of ratification until the details of the restructuring is made clear to the membership. I would make it very clear to the local delegates that their future political careers are dependent on this. If they go against the wishes of the membership, they should never be allowed to hold union office again by a no vote mandate by the membership. In addition, depending on how National Ford handles this debacle, it should weigh heavily upon the membership's decisions as to whom they send the the UAW Constitutional Convention to be held this June.

I only wonder if we could get a dark horse to stand against Gettelfinger and the rest of the Administrative Caucus. If we really got a grass roots movement going and sent our own contingency to the Convention and they made a stand there we could really have an election or at least make them nervous enough whereby they would have to start representing the membership again instead of themselves and the company!

Amen - True it will NOT matter who votes or which way you vote.

The UAW will tell you what they want you to hear. The UAW leadership has NO ETHICS!

I cant believe most folks here at AAP that think we are getting a new car, most of the folks here will vote for

it and then come the 23rd of Jan and the bomb drops and then i can see all of them that voted for it crying

like a baby, plus i dont see how the plants that where name would vote for it anyway seeing that they are getting the axe anyway

From the Wall Street Journal, updated version of this story:

Ford, Union Reach Agreement

On Health-Care Benefits

By STEPHEN WISNEFSKI

DOW JONES NEWSWIRES

December 10, 2005 9:47 p.m.

The United Auto Workers and Ford Motor Co. have come to terms on a new health-care agreement that will enable the struggling auto maker to make much-needed cost cuts.

UAW President Ron Gettelfinger and Vice President Gerald Bantom said Saturday in a press release that the accord, which still needs to be approved by UAW Ford workers, "asks every UAW member, active and retired, to make sacrifices so that everyone can continue to receive excellent health care coverage today and in the future."

The union didn't specify what concessions would be made, but said that UAW Ford workers will continue to receive some of the best health-care benefits of any industrial workers in the country. The union added that the UAW-Ford council is scheduled to meet this week in Detroit to discuss the tentative agreement.

The agreement with Ford comes one day after Mr. Gettelfinger said the union would accelerate talks with the auto maker on a health-care deal. In October, the UAW negotiated a health-care pact with General Motors Corp. that the auto maker expects will trim its health-care liabilities for hourly workers by $15 billion, while saving the company $1 billion in cash starting next year. The UAW has said it also plans to discuss concessions with Chrysler Group, a unit of DaimlerChrysler AG.

High health-care and other labor costs are taking a big bite out of the earnings of auto makers and their suppliers. Several auto parts makers have gone bankrupt, most notably Delphi Corp., and GM and Ford are struggling to restore profitability as foreign manufacturers with leaner cost structures grab market share in the U.S.

Bear Stearns believes that the new agreement with the UAW will allow Ford to cut its health care liabilities by about $7.8 billion, or 20% of the total, according to Peter Nesvold, an analyst at the investment bank.

Ford is putting the finishing touches on a North American restructuring plan that the company has said will involve "significant" plant closings. According to recent reports, the company will close at least four plants and could close as many as 10 plants, cutting 30,000 jobs by 2011.

The company, which has declined comment on the details of the turnaround plan, has said it will unveil the strategy in January. Ford's new chief of North American operations, Mark Fields, has said that nothing is off the table.

Mr. Gettelfinger, the UAW president, said Friday in an interview he hopes Ford decides not to close any plants or shed any jobs. He added, however, that the UAW "recognize(s) they have some challenges in front of them." He said he has faith in the 44-year-old Mr. Fields and Americas Chief Operating Officer Anne Stevens.

"I think they have a clearer vision .. I have every respect for their inner workings," Mr. Gettelfinger said, contrasting Ford's management against GM executives, who ruffled the UAW's feathers with their restructuring announcement in November. "Ford has always shown a lot of sensitivity when it comes to making these (restructuring) announcements."

GM's Chief Executive Rick Wagoner said last month the world's largest auto maker plans to close 12 manufacturing facilities by 2008 and lay off 30,000 workers. GM says the plan will enable it to save $7 billion a year starting in 2006.

Write to Stephen Wisnefski at stephen.wisnefski@dowjones.com1

Edited by Len_A

Its an insult to ask the dues paying rank and file to vote on this issue with 25-30k jobs hanging on the line. There should have been a barginning chip left on the table.

THEY do not deserve their pay for comming at us with this crap.

As far as I'm conerned I do not have union representation and this so called labor union is a big ass farce.

Again, 1 billion dollars with a B is not chickenfeed. I am more than willing to give back, just tell us what the company will look like that we are giving back to!

They will get it though before announcing the restructure, regardless of how many of us here see the "end around" the union is pulling. To many of my peers believe everything the UAW tells them, and thinks they will show them the way to prosperity.

I hope anyone who is reading this thread will ask their co-workers to come on here to see what everyone thinks. It goes without saying most of us are willing to help, but think we have a right to know the parameters of the company we are helping.

With the vote being only 60 something % to 30 something % on the GM deal. It is obvious they are afraid if we KNOW who is going, it might not pass. That is up to debate........and debate we should, yet the UAW is taking that out of our laps with their typical sleight of hand here.

Lets be honest, they don't trust us to make reasonable decisions with all the facts, but they are certainly willing to take our dues............eventhough they consider us ignorant, and to stupid to make logical choices.

HOW DAMN CONDESCENDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey there MR/Mz/Mrs UAW committee type person, I work for a living and don't even invoke all of your stupid rules against the company.............just cause they are STUPID and non productive!!!!!! What do alot of you do, besides try to pull the wool over eyes in an attempt to show SOLIDARITY.(lolololololol SOLIDARITY by a quick vote before any knows what is going on)

Oh, I know what you do, you protect DEADBEATS, get DEADBEATS rehired, and make deals with Ford, then won't even let us look at it BEFORE you demand we vote. For shame on you, the bastion of fair minded thinking and diversity. In other words, "as long as we can fool you, we will accept anyone."

Many of us may have been born at night, but it was not LAST NIGHT!!!!!!!

Edited by Imawhosure

I urge you all to vote no on the deal. The only reason they are doing this now is to pass it before the give us the ax! By voting no it does two things.

1 Possibly delaying it enough till after the announcement in Jan. ( know them the would push it back anyway)

2 Letting Ford know we are not as stupid as they seem to think. I guess ford thinks you would not vote "yes" if they all ready canned your ass.

Geeeeeeeeeee ya think!

I work at AAP, and I will not vote for it. Further, if they announced ALL of the plants which are to be closed tomorrow, I would not vote for it.

I find it disheartening that a lot of folks here seem to be basing their thoughts regarding voting upon knowing the details of the current restructure plan... I say current, because it seems to be changing perpetually. One thing has nothing to do with the other; we need to seperate this in our minds.

We have already lost, if 'knowing' which plants are to close is the condition we place upon voting to reduce our benefit.

I honestly believe that when the 'way forward' (hah) plan is announced, details will only be given regarding imminent closings, and that others will be announced sixty days before closing.

Contracts are negotiated evey four years; had we stayed with the three year contracts, this would be a contract year. I am not sure of the reasons for the company and union to go to a four year plan, but they had their reasons. Apparently, it has not worked out as well for the company as anticipated.

What does get my attention, though, is the way everything has suposedly gone to Hades, within such a short period of time, paricularly after all the years, one right after another, of record profit-making. Is Ford actually broke? Why is Ford not giving dealers Tauruses to sell to the general public? Has Ford just now truely begun to see that they need a better product mix? Or, is Ford not meeting the expectations created from the run of profitable years? And, are they comparing what they could be making if they relocated outside this country? Ultimately, we all know that, since apples are not oranges, we cannot compete with China wages. Efficiency won't get it, in the long run, as our competitors will also strive for better efficiency.

I said a reduction in benefit because basicly, that is what it is. A wage concession is different from a payment towards a benefit which previously was without a payment. One is before taxes, the other is paid out of dollars which have been taxed.

Further, retiree income is based upon the pay level at retirement. So, people draw less when wage concessions are made at any time, for whatever reason, upon retirement. Which means that retirees pay...

If we vote to give up a future raise, and to make the retiree's pay actual after-tax dollars towards medical insurance, we are virtually voting to untimately bear all costs related to medical insurance, at some future point in time, for all Ford hourly employees and retirees. We all know how this works. Once the foot is in the door, the body follows.

I will not vote to give away this important benefit. It was too hard won. I know a lot of us think that we have to do this, because GM has, and that maybe it has to happen. Please, just say no.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quickdraw,

If you trust Ford and your Union and you provide a Fair days work your statement makes sense. The relationship must be based on mutual trust and respect. Ford and the UAW have provided well for you in the past.

If you trust that Ford and the Union will treat you fairly or you believe you will get "screwed" at every turn you are probably correct.

I have worked under 5 different international unions over the last 40 years and I can tell you the UAW is the WORST lame ass group I have ever been associated with. The Internationl is corrupt from the top down and their ranks a fed form the local level.

To approch the Rank and file with contract CONCESSIONS before we know what in the near term future of many workers is blantent hprocracy. How dare they ask members to vote to cut benefits and reduce there net income at the same time work a deal with the company.

We need to know what the way forward is before we vote. We need to know how many jobs are going to be lost. How does the UAW bargin with the Company to save them money if they dont know how many jobs are going to be lost.

THEY HAVE THE NUMBER BUT WONT TELL US. We pay there sorry ass and they withold infomation critical to 25K members and their families.

If this is an example of a Union working for their members they can go to Hell. I will not be associated with a group that is so corrupt that it makes my VOMIT smell like roses.

All americans need to get ready for the big one. This country is going to be hurting big time within 5 years and the little chump change we have put together the last 40 years wont help.