Next up? Older RAV4 transmissions....

baggs32

Got caught up in a traffic jam yesterday it was caused by a Toyota RAV 4 must have been his dodgy Toyota transmission.

Shame, shame on you Yota gotta say l have never known a car company to have so many recalls in a year and we are only into February 2010 and just about every Toyota has been recalled no brakes, stuck open throttles, no steering and now no transmissions l would rather own a Model-T at least it goes and it is safe.

Ok, I'm certainly no Toyota fan but calling a transmission failure "dangerous and scary" is a stretch. I think those owners are just "scared" thinking about the cost of an out of warranty transmission replacement.

Getting tired of any problem with a car becoming a life or death safety issue...a stuck accelerator definately is but a crappy transmission isn't.

Ok, I'm certainly no Toyota fan but calling a transmission failure "dangerous and scary" is a stretch. I think those owners are just "scared" thinking about the cost of an out of warranty transmission replacement.

Getting tired of any problem with a car becoming a life or death safety issue...a stuck accelerator definately is but a crappy transmission isn't.

I agree. There were plenty of Ford Contour (4cylinder owners) who have replaced that terrible C3 transmission back in the day. Let's go back that far while were at it!

Not to mention that first year redesign 2002 (?) transmissions in the Ford Explorer. Those things were also junk. Ford must have bought replacement solenoids in bulk!

I had a first year Ford 500-(company car) that had the CVT. Put 50K on that car in two years. The CVT transmission was beyond horrible and I knew there was no way it was going to see another 50,000 miles.

I am not taking up for Toyota. If they covered these things up...fine 'em. But there are plenty of faulty transmission designs by all CAR MAKERS that left a lot to be desired.

This thing is becoming a WITCH HUNT!

Edited by CKNSLS

I agree. There were plenty of Ford Contour (4cylinder owners) who have replaced that terrible C3 transmission back in the day. Let's go back that far while were at it!

Not to mention that first year redesign 2002 (?) transmissions in the Ford Explorer. Those things were also junk. Ford must have bought replacement solenoids in bulk!

I had a first year Ford 500-(company car) that had the CVT. Put 50K on that car in two years. The CVT transmission was beyond horrible and I knew there was no way it was going to see another 50,000 miles.

I am not taking up for Toyota. If they covered these things up...fine 'em. But there are plenty of faulty transmission designs by all CAR MAKERS that left a lot to be desired.

ahh well that kinda the point of all this bashing. No other car maker in recent history has been put on such a high pedestal for reliability and safety! A year ago the toyo fan club was all smug about there "vaunted" car adn everything else is trash, trash I say! So now that we know without a doubt that toyo has hid and covered up safety defects its our turn to have our cake and eat it too!

• Like 1

I suppose you still think this is a witch hunt even with the release of that damning presentation from Inaba, right?

Over ten years of discovery orders in the Explorer lawsuits and nothing that openly dismissive of the government and buyer safety has ever surfaced at Ford.

Heck, the Pinto Memo looks like a tame bit of actuarial snoozery compared to the Inaba file.

I suppose you still think this is a witch hunt even with the release of that damning presentation from Inaba, right?

Over ten years of discovery orders in the Explorer lawsuits and nothing that openly dismissive of the government and buyer safety has ever surfaced at Ford.

Heck, the Pinto Memo looks like a tame bit of actuarial snoozery compared to the Inaba file.

No. What I am saying is the "transmission issue" is beyond the current safety issues. There are plenty of poor design (if that's what they are) transmissions.

No. What I am saying is the "transmission issue" is beyond the current safety issues. There are plenty of poor design (if that's what they are) transmissions.

So you expect that the general interest in secret warranties and squelched recalls shouldn't extend to transmission grenading?

BTW: I had the front struts replaced on my Sable due to an extended warranty 'recall', as well as the blower motor switch on my Contour. The issue is whether Toyota should've done an extended warranty on the RAV4, an extended warranty that has been applied to countless other vehicles.

It is, given the nature of Toyota's past conduct, a valid question, IMO.

----

When a significant part of your corporate culture involves denying, obfuscation, and conduct tantamount to bribery, you deserve to have a pretty bright spotlight turned on you.

Ford, GM, and Chrysler couldn't have gotten away with this kind of conduct. Whistle-blowers, civil discovery, and media attention tend to act as pretty persuasive arguments against this type of conduct.

-----

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Inaba was unaware that his little PowerPoint presentation could be subpoenaed as evidence in a civil trial.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Inaba was unaware that his little PowerPoint presentation could be subpoenaed as evidence in a civil trial.

Or maybe they just figured they would shred all the documents instead of producing them as they have been accused of in the past.

remember this story - Toyota accused of 'ruthless conspiracy' to conceal, destroy evidence by former attorney