Let's hope the dealer keeps a customer

bec5150

A friend of mine purchased a Honda Element in 2003 and traded in 2005 for another one. He got a wild hair last week and traded his Element, which he had for less than a year, for a silver 2006 Mustang GT. I got to look it over and it looks pretty nice. Sounds good too.

It's like I have been saying...here's a Honda guy going to Ford because they make a desirable product and they sold it to him for a fair price. I told him point blank "if Ford designed it to stay screwed together for 100,000K or more miles, the residuals will stay high and you can buy another one in two years without losing your shirt." I certainly hope that he has good luck with this one because it is a wonderful looking and performing car.

I think the same marketing that sells Harley Davidson's can work for Ford to sell products like the Mustang. The car screams "American." There is no way in hell you can mistake that car for anything else but an American car.

I hope the car holds up and gives him good service. I hope the dealer doesn't try to screw him on any service or warranty issues.

We'll see.

I told him point blank "if Ford designed it to stay screwed together for 100,000K or more miles, the residuals will stay high and you can buy another one in two years without losing your shirt."

Eh...perceptions don't change overnight. Fact of the matter is, Ford (and everybody else for that matter) has been building cars that are usually relatively trouble-free for 100,000 miles for years. Yes, there are always exceptions, but generally speaking, there's no reason most new cars won't get 100,000 good miles out of them.

The problem lies in the perception. The quality gap is closing, but the perception gap is still wide as the Grand Canyon. That's the thing that continues to hurt residuals.

I hope he has a wonderful experience with his new Stang, but I still wouldn't be surprised if trade-in value on it still sucks. It's going to take years for that perception to change, despite the actual quality of the product.

That's because it takes years to build a perception of a wildly reliable car. Nothing about the current perceptions of quality came about overnight, and none of them will change overnight. Until people start seeing the current crop of what are supposed to be better quality cars lasting 200k+ miles, change will be limited.

I know plenty of people who had terrible GM's in the early 1990's, but now I'm hearing about some who have 1999's or '02's rattling to pieces. Haven't heard the same when it comes to Fords, but in my opinion it just shows we're going to have to wait several years before perception changes, if warranted. Until then, the only thing that can be hoped for is consistency - little to no exceptions, especially not big ones.

Hopefully the dealer realizes what power he has with customers like this - bad service could be the final nail in the coffin, good service could mean a successul conquest and newly loyal client.

I'm sorry but probably going to get looked down upon for letting you guys know this, but my 06 Civic EX sedan is a rattle trap and I've had it less than a month. Check out my website. http://www.mycivicsucks.com. I traded in the Mazda3 for the Civic because of it's better gas mileage but I've had nothing but problems with the Civic since I've bought it. I guess I deserve it. :(

I'm sorry but probably going to get looked down upon for letting you guys know this, but my 06 Civic EX sedan is a rattle trap and I've had it less than a month. Check out my website. http://www.mycivicsucks.com. I traded in the Mazda3 for the Civic because of it's better gas mileage but I've had nothing but problems with the Civic since I've bought it. I guess I deserve it. :(

What can I say other then what a great site, bet you are thinking this is a Honda, how can this happen, people can make all the excuses in the world about the quality of domestics, but to have a owner of a Import make a site,telling the public about his issues. priceless.

Hey trade it in on a new Fusion. :D

A friend of mine purchased a Honda Element in 2003 and traded in 2005 for another one. He got a wild hair last week and traded his Element, which he had for less than a year, for a silver 2006 Mustang GT. I got to look it over and it looks pretty nice. Sounds good too.

It's like I have been saying...here's a Honda guy going to Ford because they make a desirable product and they sold it to him for a fair price. I told him point blank "if Ford designed it to stay screwed together for 100,000K or more miles, the residuals will stay high and you can buy another one in two years without losing your shirt." I certainly hope that he has good luck with this one because it is a wonderful looking and performing car.

I think the same marketing that sells Harley Davidson's can work for Ford to sell products like the Mustang. The car screams "American." There is no way in hell you can mistake that car for anything else but an American car.

I hope the car holds up and gives him good service. I hope the dealer doesn't try to screw him on any service or warranty issues.

We'll see.

Great to hear, I had a 05 Mustang GT, I sold it at 19k, it was a great car, I did have warranty work done to it , TSB's and a squeaky accel pedal, they took care of everything. Never had any oher issues. I traded it in on a 06 Mustang Gt, I was shocked at what they gave me for trade in. My 06 had to go in for some warranty work, they again fixed all of it, washed it and I had it back the next day. I was impressed. I have 5000 miles on it now, and so far so good.

Edited by 05StangAwsomecar

The one thing that people on this board don't seem to understand is folks that buy Honda don't do it out of loyalty, it is usually because of practical reasons, be those reasons real or perceived.

Either way, if Honda sells you a POS, then there is no loyalty there and you will be BACK into another brand in a hurry. My Honda has given me good service, but if it did what yours has done, it would have been gone in a hurry.

I will always remember when the K car came out. It was not remarkable, but the whole marketing campaign was centered around "this is an American car, we're in financial trouble, please buy this...it will give you good service." Even the trim levels on the Omni/Horizon and the Shadow/Sundance were called "America." The marketing worked and, most importantly, the dealers seemed to go out of their way to ensure you were happy with your purchase.

And with vehicles like the Mustang, Charger, and 300 being very "American" in look and under the hood, I think the time is right for the "domestics" to make a run and reverse the trend of falling market share. I just hope the cars stay screwed together and the dealers do a better job of service after the sale.

As far as your Honda, I would get ahold of the district guy. The dealer shouldn't be jacking you around on this sort of stuff. My warranty claims and recalls were fixed quickly and they always gave me a car to drive while they had mine. If your dealer is doing any less, then it's time to get the district guy involved.

What can I say other then what a great site, bet you are thinking this is a Honda, how can this happen, people can make all the excuses in the world about the quality of domestics, but to have a owner of a Import make a site,telling the public about his issues. priceless.

Hey trade it in on a new Fusion. :D

Great to hear, I had a 05 Mustang GT, I sold it at 19k, it was a great car, I did have warranty work done to it , TSB's and a squeaky accel pedal, they took care of everything. Never had any oher issues. I traded it in on a 06 Mustang Gt, I was shocked at what they gave me for trade in. My 06 had to go in for some warranty work, they again fixed all of it, washed it and I had it back the next day. I was impressed. I have 5000 miles on it now, and so far so good.

Shocked in a good way or a bad way? :shrug: I am assuming you got a good trade in since you got the '06. Why did you choose to trade up after only 1 year?

Hi Bec:

Thanks for the post. I hope your friend is happy with his Mustang. It was nice to see you at Carlisle.

Shocked in a good way or a bad way? :shrug: I am assuming you got a good trade in since you got the '06. Why did you choose to trade up after only 1 year?

Hi Bec:

Thanks for the post. I hope your friend is happy with his Mustang. It was nice to see you at Carlisle.

I originaly bought a Black premium GT with 17" wheels, I wanted a RedFire nobody in Michigan had one, so I bought it any way.

The car was a PAIN in the ass to keep clean, and it was a rock magnet, that paint chipped like crazy, I had the hood repainted just before I traded it in. So i seen the RedFire with the polished 18" wheels and said I am buying it. I am MUCH happier now.Easier to keep clean too.

I originaly bought a Black premium GT with 17" wheels, I wanted a RedFire nobody in Michigan had one, so I bought it any way.

The car was a PAIN in the ass to keep clean, and it was a rock magnet, that paint chipped like crazy, I had the hood repainted just before I traded it in. So i seen the RedFire with the polished 18" wheels and said I am buying it. I am MUCH happier now.Easier to keep clean too.

I can relate. I had an all black '84 Dodge Daytona Turbo Z. It was a full time job just keeping it clean. In addition very stone chip and door ding looked twice as big. I love the look of black cars but I don't think I will ever buy another one.

Guest Sixcav

I love how bec5150 claims he's all fair to Ford products and understands that Ford makes a good product on other threads when he gets called on it, and yet the first thing he has to say about a Mustang on this thread is that he hopes it stays screwed together for 100K miles. I don't know who the heck you think you're fooling with your horseshit bec. Just come out and admit it, you take great delight in bashing domestics or maybe just Ford one of the two.

Nobody is buying your shit, we all see you for what you are. Have you even researched the reality of the modern car market. Evidently not, even though I've posted it for you time and again. But everywhere you go and post your same old "Ford is junk" drool I'll post the facts to counter your crap. So read them once again.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/29/j-d-pow...dability-study/

You'll note that the difference between a modern Honda and a modern Ford is so miniscule it's not worth noting. Throw into the mix the fact that here in the US Ford sells far more cars than Honda does. On the top twenty best selling cars list for 2005 Ford has 5 cars on the list, inlcuding the #1 spot, the F150 for the 23rd year in a row. Honda has two, the civic and accord and the sales of these two cars combined doesn't even equal just the number of F150's sold in the US. So Ford sells far more cars than Honda and despite that they still manage to have just as reliable a product. So spare us this crap about how you hope a Mustang will stay screwed together for 100K miles. It's just another veiled attempt to cast insults at the Ford line while trying to play up Honda, the car you really prefer. I note that you're all sympathetic to the guy who got the junky ass Civic but with respect to the Mustang, Charger and 300 all you can do is make comments about them staying screwed together.

And now it's time for the dancing banana :bandance:

Umm...the new Mustang has no reliablilty data past 15K miles, good or bad. If you took my statement as an "anti Ford statement" then you are more sensetive than the rest of the folks here. I would NOT have made the statement about a Ranger because I know it will stay screwed together for 200K miles and even more. I wouldn't have made the statement about a Windstar/Freestar because the opposite is true in most cases.

Furthermore, you can take stats and make them say anything you want. You sure wouldn't wanna use good reliability stats as a gauge for the Ridgeline, which has been troublesome by any measure, right?

The customer in question had few issues with his Honda and the ones he had were addressed quickly and efficiently. All I was saying is we have a guy coming back to Ford and if they give him the same level of service and reliability as he is accustom to with his Honda, then all is well.

In short, lighten up!! Geesh!!

Edited by bec5150

I love how bec5150 claims he's all fair to Ford products and understands that Ford makes a good product on other threads when he gets called on it, and yet the first thing he has to say about a Mustang on this thread is that he hopes it stays screwed together for 100K miles. I don't know who the heck you think you're fooling with your horseshit bec. Just come out and admit it, you take great delight in bashing domestics or maybe just Ford one of the two.

Nobody is buying your shit, we all see you for what you are. Have you even researched the reality of the modern car market. Evidently not, even though I've posted it for you time and again. But everywhere you go and post your same old "Ford is junk" drool I'll post the facts to counter your crap. So read them once again.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/01/29/j-d-pow...dability-study/

You'll note that the difference between a modern Honda and a modern Ford is so miniscule it's not worth noting. Throw into the mix the fact that here in the US Ford sells far more cars than Honda does. On the top twenty best selling cars list for 2005 Ford has 5 cars on the list, inlcuding the #1 spot, the F150 for the 23rd year in a row. Honda has two, the civic and accord and the sales of these two cars combined doesn't even equal just the number of F150's sold in the US. So Ford sells far more cars than Honda and despite that they still manage to have just as reliable a product. So spare us this crap about how you hope a Mustang will stay screwed together for 100K miles. It's just another veiled attempt to cast insults at the Ford line while trying to play up Honda, the car you really prefer. I note that you're all sympathetic to the guy who got the junky ass Civic but with respect to the Mustang, Charger and 300 all you can do is make comments about them staying screwed together.

And now it's time for the dancing banana :bandance:

I thought F150s were trucks not cars. :shrug: :kuko:

I love Ford, too, although some on here believe I've been too harsh as well. Well, come drive my 2002 SuperDuty and tell me the rattles it has at 31,500 miles don't get on your nerves. There's clearly some screws loose deep in the dash somewhere and both the driver and passenger doors ratlle in their latches over every bump. Granted, it's a heavy solid-front-axle truck, and it rides stiff. But, Ford should have known that when they designed the product (door latches). The loose screws are probably due to poor assembly at the plant. I love my SuperDuty, but I'm not going to pretend it's perfect just to appease those that see no wrong at Ford. No Ford truck I have every owned has truly been "reliable". I've loved them, mostly for looks, but reliable would be quite a stretch. The good thing is I'll continue to buy them, the bad news is I can't afford new right now so I'm not helping Ford anyways.

I love Ford, too, although some on here believe I've been too harsh as well. Well, come drive my 2002 SuperDuty and tell me the rattles it has at 31,500 miles don't get on your nerves. There's clearly some screws loose deep in the dash somewhere and both the driver and passenger doors ratlle in their latches over every bump. Granted, it's a heavy solid-front-axle truck, and it rides stiff. But, Ford should have known that when they designed the product (door latches). The loose screws are probably due to poor assembly at the plant. I love my SuperDuty, but I'm not going to pretend it's perfect just to appease those that see no wrong at Ford. No Ford truck I have every owned has truly been "reliable". I've loved them, mostly for looks, but reliable would be quite a stretch. The good thing is I'll continue to buy them, the bad news is I can't afford new right now so I'm not helping Ford anyways.

Thats not true, buying Ford replacement parts help them ;)

Well said 6cav.

Dude with these gas prices, everything is steak. I Know how Ford World Magazine led u astray. They list top twenty all together, since maket share crunch and the need for F1 2 3 450 to make us look good at the top. But find the cars on the list 66.000 discountinued tauruses lead the way, and I think this is like 15 or 16 on that list. Wake UP

Guest Sixcav

Jesus H. Christ, piddy, for somebody that's supposed to be some college trained, marketing expert, snobby, Saab driving genius you sure are a dumb fuck most of the time. Hell I know Ford encompases the entire F-series together, just like Chevy and Dodge do with their numbers. Bet your ass that if Toyota had more than one version of that shitty ass Tundra they would do the same thing. It was 161 thousand Taurus cars not 66,000 and so the fuck what. It still doesn't change the reality of it. I don't know how much Ford is paying you to be on their payroll but they are getting ripped off. You're a shitty ass employee, with a shitty ass attitude. I bet you're one of those union fucks that's all to happy to take his $35.00 an hour salary for wrenching a bolt into a door handle and all the while talk shit about how you hate the company that puts a roof over your head, feeds your fat ass and provides you with a nice paycheck to boot. If anybody needs to wake the fuck up buddy it's your tunnel vision ass. If you tried actually having some pride in your job, actually tried to make a positive contribution and make things better then pretty soon you might actually find that things are changing for the better. But instead you make dipshit comments like people with low IQ's buy Fords and brag about how you are a snob that drives a Saab. You really are a simple son of a bitch you know that? Try actually researching something before you run your mouth for once. Here start with this.

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/sales-of...year-128859.php

Edited by Sixcav

:slap: :slap: :hysterical::hysterical: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

Jesus H. Christ, piddy, for somebody that's supposed to be some college trained, marketing expert, snobby, Saab driving genius you sure are a dumb fuck most of the time. Hell I know Ford encompases the entire F-series together, just like Chevy and Dodge do with their numbers. Bet your ass that if Toyota had more than one version of that shitty ass Tundra they would do the same thing. It was 161 thousand Taurus cars not 66,000 and so the fuck what. It still doesn't change the reality of it. I don't know how much Ford is paying you to be on their payroll but they are getting ripped off. You're a shitty ass employee, with a shitty ass attitude. I bet you're one of those union fucks that's all to happy to take his $35.00 an hour salary for wrenching a bolt into a door handle and all the while talk shit about how you hate the company that puts a roof over your head, feeds your fat ass and provides you with a nice paycheck to boot. If anybody needs to wake the fuck up buddy it's your tunnel vision ass. If you tried actually having some pride in your job, actually tried to make a positive contribution and make things better then pretty soon you might actually find that things are changing for the better. But instead you makes dipshit comments like people with low IQ's buy Fords and brag about how you are a snob that drives a Saab. You really are a simple son of a bitch you know that? Try actually researching something before you run your mouth for once. Here start with this.

http://www.jalopnik.com/cars/news/sales-of...year-128859.php

#17 Wup de doo. I earn every penny, fact is Im the best at my job in the system, I know this because the top two FCSD people came to visit not long ago. Sticks and Stones may break my bones But Fords I aint feeling. Its a job. When they close your plant for the sake of competition (tunnel vision) I hope u feel the same way. My wife supports me, this job is for exercise and medical benefits. I am simple but truthful, I have a volvo also u dumfuk. Fact is I work for Ford, Ford doesnt own me. Uaw rep and other leaders dont like me too tough because I work a little too fast. So u definitely barking up the wrong dog. FCSD I aint on no line BYTCH. Change or Die is not necessary for me. Myy work ethic has always been top-notched and almost unduplicatable. I can say what ever I want because I know what I do for Ford Motor on a Daily Basis. Simply the Best, Im not lying or exaggerating.

Edited by IPITYDAFOOL VIRUSFREE

I didn't want to let you guys know about my Honda because I traded in my Mazda3 (Ford), for the Honda. Before the Mazda3 I had a Contour, and before that a Taurus and and before that a Cougar. I guess I deserve the bad luck with the Honda for trading in my Mazda for it, when my Mazda was a good car.

I also didn't think it would make a difference if my Civic was made in Canada, Japan or Ohio. Unlucky me, I picked the black one which was made in Canada. I started to read more about the car after the fact and it turns out the Civics coming out of Canada are shit compared to the Japanese and Ohio made ones.

Edited by ToBeHuman

Guest Sixcav
fact is Im the best at my job in the system

:hysterical:

Yeah I just bet you are. You talk shit, that's it, that's all you are, a shit talker. You ain't about nothin'.

You let your wife support you? What a chump. You claim you aren't a line bitch, but I think you doeth protest too much. I bet that's exactly what you are. You're some brainless shit talking dumb ass that gets the repetative bullshit job because you're not smart enough to tell the difference between a piston head and your sisters titty. By the way, Volvo's might be well made cars but they are about as exciting as a bowl of plain white rice. You should get yourself an F150 instead, much cooler.

:hysterical:

Yeah I just bet you are. You talk shit, that's it, that's all you are, a shit talker. You ain't about nothin'.

You let your wife support you? What a chump. You claim you aren't a line bitch, but I think you doeth protest too much. I bet that's exactly what you are. You're some brainless shit talking dumb ass that gets the repetative bullshit job because you're not smart enough to tell the difference between a piston head and your sisters titty. By the way, Volvo's might be well made cars but they are about as exciting as a bowl of plain white rice. You should get yourself an F150 instead, much cooler.

LOser #1 I never worked on a line. I work at a Dist centr for parts. We make more than line workers, shit I drive a crown Horse all day and I could give two shits if u think otherwise. I have it made in the shade. My plant aint closin and Im trying to give a Line-worker From 980 who sits in Gen My job. I want a Bmw OR BEnz, but My kids schooling is more important. Fords is not classy enough for me. U just dont get it. + I live in the city not the rural areas of the US. I want Company Wide BUyout and will keep talkin till Im walking out with my severance. I love u guys, but I still aint buying. Remember BMW 750 or 760 or 5 series,or s series Benz. You will never catch me in a Ford. Unless its given to me. :doh: for promotional purposes. I love white rice btw, and support has more than 1 meaning. U r right my job is repetitive and the only way to make it interesting is to try and do it faster each day, so that I can leave the plant on G code. Lastly, a Ford brings U no money back. It is a bad investment, so unless ur planning on running the car into the ground,its not a good business decision. I like resale value, this is the other reason you wont catch me in a Ford. :doh:

Edited by IPITYDAFOOL VIRUSFREE

You think you've got something, but you're not "there" yet in terms of richness.

"I have it made in the shade. My plant aint closin and Im trying to give a Line-worker From 980 who sits in Gen My job. I want a Bmw OR BEnz, but My kids schooling is more important. Fords is not classy enough for me."

1) You say you have it made in the shade, but you have to choose a BMW versus your kids' schooling. How many kids? Are they all enrolled in private school? And how can you be that rich if you can't afford both a private education and the BMW?

2) Again, you state you are a marketing person, but you did not form a proper sentence. "Fords are not classy enough for me."

I'm not trying to be a elitist here, but I think your arguments about your status are dubious. I'm speaking with my own silver spoon in my mouth, 'cause we are fortunate to have all that (and a bag of chips).

Please answer how many kids you have in private school and then we can start talking about your status. It is true that many levels of marketing execs can make more than six figures, but not to be offensive, I am arguing on the basis of what you are saying about yourself and how you communicate. You make it seem you are more than you actually are.

Guest Sixcav

Like I said roadrunner, he's a shit talker. It's evidently obvious to everyone but him. Mister I'm too good for Ford but a Volvo is classy and upper crust? :hysterical: Oh by the way piddy, show me any car that is a good investment. Pick any new car you want and show me even one that gains in value from the day you purchase it. All cars are bad investments. They all lose value. It's a bedrock principle of buying cars. The fact that you apparently don't know that and think it's just a Ford thing is only further proof that you're just some shit talker.