Production delays?

from another site

I just got back from my dealer who said that his Ford rep reported that there are major delays on the Super Duty line at KTP. Apparently the company that was building the transfer case is now bankrupt and that is what is causing the current delays. The dealer's allocation was changed from 18 SDs to 2 for the next week or so.

Ford-trucks

I have heard it was en electronic module, not a transfer case... and that it was an inventory issue not a backruptcy.. But my info could be old news too...

From what I'm hearing in the plant is that the supplier with the 4x4 module(?) can't keep up. They are having problems getting a chip for the module. I haven't heard anything about the transfer case, but again, I have been off work this week. There was a problem with the steering on earlier build and they were fixing this problem at the plant instead of shipping them for the dealers to fix. Ford is not happy right now, they are wanting to work overtime.

i heard they can't get enough Chips for the 4x4 module...but what about 4x2??? Not many in system?

As for transfer case...that sounds crazy! a company Just doesn't go bankrupt! and if they were on the verge, ford wouldn't have used them.

then all ford dealership got a note today: saying don't expect production to ramp up till mid may....Ramp up....doesn't mean FULL down time. I believe they are still doing one shift, so they will spit out a couple 100 per week at least. Its not a literaly stand still.

I heard ealier builds, steering,small oil leak and main thermostat housing (which holds 2 thermostats) Its Not on All trucks..Some were good on certain items,some needed all three.

Problem is, they only have so many people to update/repair the built ones (union,you just can't put tom, dick or harry on it) Thats why it takes time. BTW, they are human and get tired, don't forget that!

Ford wants this right from get go! To show what they are made of!

BUTT, doesn't explain a lot of damaged trucks coming in????? Scratches,dents,etc....need lot more CONSIDERATION in that area Ford!

People who are waiting for trucks,,.. lots of dealers have trucks in stock! (not sure WHY ford sent stock trucks,instead of sold trucks?) They are out there, just take a look and buy one!

Yeah, lots of trucks in stock – (not on long island or NJ or NY) yeah, they’re a few bare bone models. I checked pickuptruck.com for the 2011s. It seems that the dealers are listing them, but don’t have them on the lots yet . "They will be in a few days" is all i hear. Go check for yourself. - thats why there are few pictures up showing the vehicles.

So here we are… waiting for our trucks (that were promised long ago btw). I personally needed a truck for the upcoming work season – and now that’s not going to happen. Ford sold be a bill of goods – promised me that the truck would be in by mid to late March.

I understand that Ford wants to get this right. To me, that means getting your ducks in a row, making sure things are right, BEFORE you sell it.

I still think Ford makes the best product, no doubt about it. And when this 2011 has the bugs straightened out, Ford once again will have the best product. But in the interim, I am SOL. I am not going to buy a 2010, not when the 2011 has so much more to offer. But I could not wait any longer for my truck – so for now, it’s a 2001 used model.

Hope you guys enjoy your trucks – I am sure they will be top notch

i heard they can't get enough Chips for the 4x4 module...but what about 4x2??? Not many in system?

As for transfer case...that sounds crazy! a company Just doesn't go bankrupt! and if they were on the verge, ford wouldn't have used them.

then all ford dealership got a note today: saying don't expect production to ramp up till mid may....Ramp up....doesn't mean FULL down time. I believe they are still doing one shift, so they will spit out a couple 100 per week at least. Its not a literaly stand still.

I heard ealier builds, steering,small oil leak and main thermostat housing (which holds 2 thermostats) Its Not on All trucks..Some were good on certain items,some needed all three.

Problem is, they only have so many people to update/repair the built ones (union,you just can't put tom, dick or harry on it) Thats why it takes time. BTW, they are human and get tired, don't forget that!

Ford wants this right from get go! To show what they are made of!

BUTT, doesn't explain a lot of damaged trucks coming in????? Scratches,dents,etc....need lot more CONSIDERATION in that area Ford!

People who are waiting for trucks,,.. lots of dealers have trucks in stock! (not sure WHY ford sent stock trucks,instead of sold trucks?) They are out there, just take a look and buy one!

Whats this about body damage?? First I have heard of it??

I was told today that we might be on 1 shift until June, which means about 450 trucks a day being built. Repair guys are working 7 days a week around the clock to get the early production models to the dealers. I even heard that Ford and the union has agreed to hire some outside help to fix these trucks.

The following message was posted at FMCDealer.com yesterday.

April 23, 2010

To: All Ford Dealers

Subject: EFC0202027DC 2011 Super Duty 4x4 Build Status

On Monday, we communicated production of the 2011 Super Duty 4x4 had been reduced due to a supplier parts shortage. At that time, we believed this was a short-term issue. It appears now that this may impact production through mid-May.

Let me emphasize this is not a quality issue, but rather a parts shortage issue.

The production impacts vehicles built at the Kentucky Truck Plant, which also includes Expedition and Navigator.

As a result, we are adjusting build dates for Super Duty, Expedition and Navigator…and specifics related to each order will be reflected in your daily scheduling notifications. We will make every effort to restore full production as soon as possible. As you receive specific scheduling information, please proactively reach out to your customers to keep them informed of the situation and maintain open communication with them as details progress, so we can minimize any negative impact to customer satisfaction.

We are also experiencing additional parts related shortages driven by transportation delays caused by the recent volcano eruption in Iceland. Subsequently, we have been forced to take unscheduled downtime at the Auto Alliance International Assembly Plant, where we build Mustang, and also at the Wayne Assembly Plant, which is where we build Focus. We will make every effort possible to ensure that these production interruptions are minimized as we move forward.

Finally, the Auto Alliance Assembly Plant has been given the authorization to ship the 2011MY Mustangs, so you should begin to see these hit your showrooms over the next couple of weeks.

If you have any questions, please contact your Ford Zone Manager.

Hal Feder

General Manager

Ford Lincoln Mercury Sales