A Letter From Gary Walkowicz

snoopy

Here is a letter from Gary Walkowicz:

Statement from Gary Walkowicz,

I want to thank all those people who helped and supported my campaign for UAW President. The message we sent would not have been as loud as it was without your support. Also, I want to thank all those people who phoned or sent text messages of support to me.

I did not expect to win this election or even get a lot of votes because I knew that many of the delegates would either support the top UAW leadership, or would be pressured by them not to vote for me.

My purpose in running was to carry the voice of many rank-and-file workers who are angry about the concessions we have given up and are ready to fight to get back what we have lost. I wanted to carry the voice of the Ford workers and Delphi workers who have voted down concessions.

I am deeply convinced that many, many rank-and-file workers agree with what I said at the Convention – “Enough is Enough. The UAW must make a radical 180-degree change in direction.”

I raised these issues at the Convention because I think the most important thing was not the outcome of this election. The most important thing is what we, as UAW workers, are ready to do in 2011 when our contract expires.

We deserve to get back what has been lost for retirees and new hires. We deserve to get back all those raises, bonuses, holidays, break time and everything else that has been lost.

But listening to Bob King and the other top UAW leaders during and after the Convention, it seems clear to me that they plan on following the same policies of recent years – putting the interests of the corporations ahead of our interests.

If we are going to change around our union, if we are going to get what we deserve next year, it is going to be up to us. All those workers who are ready to stand up, just like the Ford and Delphi workers stood up.

It’s time to get ready!

Gary Walkowicz

If you agree, please contact me.

(313) 737-3166

GWALK15@peoplepc.com

• Like 2

Here is a letter from Gary Walkowicz:

Statement from Gary Walkowicz,

I want to thank all those people who helped and supported my campaign for UAW President. The message we sent would not have been as loud as it was without your support. Also, I want to thank all those people who phoned or sent text messages of support to me.

I did not expect to win this election or even get a lot of votes because I knew that many of the delegates would either support the top UAW leadership, or would be pressured by them not to vote for me.

My purpose in running was to carry the voice of many rank-and-file workers who are angry about the concessions we have given up and are ready to fight to get back what we have lost. I wanted to carry the voice of the Ford workers and Delphi workers who have voted down concessions.

I am deeply convinced that many, many rank-and-file workers agree with what I said at the Convention – “Enough is Enough. The UAW must make a radical 180-degree change in direction.”

I raised these issues at the Convention because I think the most important thing was not the outcome of this election. The most important thing is what we, as UAW workers, are ready to do in 2011 when our contract expires.

We deserve to get back what has been lost for retirees and new hires. We deserve to get back all those raises, bonuses, holidays, break time and everything else that has been lost.

But listening to Bob King and the other top UAW leaders during and after the Convention, it seems clear to me that they plan on following the same policies of recent years – putting the interests of the corporations ahead of our interests.

If we are going to change around our union, if we are going to get what we deserve next year, it is going to be up to us. All those workers who are ready to stand up, just like the Ford and Delphi workers stood up.

It’s time to get ready!

Gary Walkowicz

If you agree, please contact me.

(313) 737-3166

GWALK15@peoplepc.com

Who's responsible for the decline of the middle-class? American consumers. They want it cheap. We lost our textile industy (who cared?), our electonics (Zenith is now Korean owned, I think, who cares?), and now we're in danger of losing the auto industry. Chrysler has an Italian flair and GM is on the dole. A welfare candidate. My employer didn't give us a raise in 6 years, told us we were overpaid, then laid-off 720 of 800 workers. The remaining 80 took pay cuts. We had over 4,000 employees when I started there, made products to win WWII. What happened? Management brought in Komatsu equipment to demolish buildings. Most Americans don't care how much their neighbor is paid as long as they can drive their Toyotas to Wal-Mart for more plastic Chinese crap. And they don't care about Ford or its employees. Sad but true. Like eating at the buffet, filling up now on raises, benefits might feel good but you'll be on life-support soon enough when costs go too far up. We're all in the same boat. I haven't worked in over a year. At least Ford has a union. DuPont and Koch (my former employers) didn't. It was BOHICA every day. And I'm starting over (college) at 57. Americans are going to go for the cheapest price. Again, they don't care about you, the UAW or Ford. It's "I got mine". When Ford prices rise, it's gonna be "Hello Honda". Until the Chinese arrive with their Eggroll Dumpling Supreme Horse.

• Like 1

Lokvg

Who's responsible for the decline of the middle-class? American consumers. They want it cheap. We lost our textile industy (who cared?), our electonics (Zenith is now Korean owned, I think, who cares?), and now we're in danger of losing the auto industry. Chrysler has an Italian flair and GM is on the dole. A welfare candidate. My employer didn't give us a raise in 6 years, told us we were overpaid, then laid-off 720 of 800 workers. The remaining 80 took pay cuts. We had over 4,000 employees when I started there, made products to win WWII. What happened? Management brought in Komatsu equipment to demolish buildings. Most Americans don't care how much their neighbor is paid as long as they can drive their Toyotas to Wal-Mart for more plastic Chinese crap. And they don't care about Ford or its employees. Sad but true. Like eating at the buffet, filling up now on raises, benefits might feel good but you'll be on life-support soon enough when costs go too far up. We're all in the same boat. I haven't worked in over a year. At least Ford has a union. DuPont and Koch (my former employers) didn't. It was BOHICA every day. And I'm starting over (college) at 57. Americans are going to go for the cheapest price. Again, they don't care about you, the UAW or Ford. It's "I got mine". When Ford prices rise, it's gonna be "Hello Honda". Until the Chinese arrive with their Eggroll Dumpling Supreme Horse.

Desperate times call for desperate measures sometimes. The position the auto industry was in 2 years ago was unprecedented in its history therefore calling for drastic sacrifices during this time by all..This time is now over and we deserve the things we gave up back. However how do you jump all over international for giving these concessions(the first time) when these companies were on lifesupport?? I would hope some people are not just trying to score political points for attacking the union leadership over the first round of concessions. Notice i said the first time only..the second time the company came to jus was bullshit. i respect gary and his record..but being from local 600 and seeing the big picture the more I believe many of his ideas to be an outdated obsolete way of thinking in the MODERN era of this industry...remember Gary with no viable company there are NO jobs..congrats on your 30 plus years of service D.Dean doorline c crew

• Like 2

In 1962 what was the world's finest luxury car? Lincoln Continental. All workers could count on raises. People didn't worry about health care. Ford's main competitor was GM and they were unstoppable. In 48 years that's all changed. In the 60s (1969), we put men on the moon, repeatedly. To this day, no nation can make that claim. We were more than competitive, we were world-class, Economic, industrial athletes. So, we can sit back and say, "I used to be a contender" and ask the rest of the world to give us back our crown or we can up our game and reclaim it. No amount of give-me back what I once had is going to make that happen. Let's have a little more faith in ourselves and each other. This competition isn't over.

A LETTER TO GARY

What is your plan now that you have screwed your entire plant? You guys at DTP think your so untouchable it kills me. The only thing that happend at the convention is your delegates made an ass out of themselves and your membership. Guess what, Gary didn't come close to winning and slapped the International Union in the face. Hey Gary, when do you think they will slap back ? Do you think they will just let it go, you know you pissing off there boss. I hope your inplant politics were worth risking your membership. :ohsnap:

A LETTER TO GARY

What is your plan now that you have screwed your entire plant? You guys at DTP think your so untouchable it kills me. The only thing that happend at the convention is your delegates made an ass out of themselves and your membership. Guess what, Gary didn't come close to winning and slapped the International Union in the face. Hey Gary, when do you think they will slap back ? Do you think they will just let it go, you know you pissing off there boss. I hope your inplant politics were worth risking your membership. :ohsnap:

So, if you run against the preferred candidate, your plant can expect retribution? Wow, that's democracy in action.

• Like 1

A LETTER TO GARY

No one is untouchable , but did you ever stop to think that Gary represented what he felt his membership wanted ?

I mean after all that is what the Con Con Delegates where elected to do is it not ?

How many of the Delegates that voted yes for wage increases (for top IUAW reps) have come around with a report on how they voted ?

I know one of my Delegates sure as fuck hasn't yet , I can not think of one person that elected him to serve us at the Con Con that would have wanted him to either.

This was a very good opportunity for the IUAW to gain some much needed respect back from the membership. Had the membership found out that they welcomed and supported the democratic system, that they had debate and mutual respect with equal opportunity, they would have gained some respect back. Had they (the administrative caucus) sat down with Gary and his supporters and listen to there ideas and grievances, the membership would have appreciated it and respected them much more. But instead they made a mockery of the entire democratic process. They taunted Gary and his supporters, they heckled and booed them. They even booed Gary’s nomination speaker. It was the most disgusting display of anti democratic actions that this Delegate has ever seen.

Gary knew that he didn’t stand a chance to win the election, but what he understood was the fact he got a nomination speech and that speech was truly about the shop floor worker and our retirees. Wow, who would have thought it, someone sticking there neck out for us shop floor workers. We better belittle him and berate him, how dare he speak out for us, and what was he thinking? He must have thought it was a UAW democratic convention and not the IUAW dictator convention such as it was. We better let him know that his membership will suffer the consequences for thinking that he could screw up the dictatorship and put his name in the mix of a democratic election process ran by the Union. (In case you didn’t catch on, that’s sarcasm)

Someone posted up that the membership of DTP will suffer the consequences of Gary’s actions. So are you saying that anyone who believes in and supports democracy will suffer misrepresentation from the IUAW? This statement in itself supports what I have said. I certainly hope Brother Bob King is better man and leader then the actions of retaliation you’re saying he will do, are suggesting he is.

You asked how some of us Delegates voted.

My name is Jeff Hodges, I proudly represented local 3000, AAI unit, as one of their Delegates;

I voted “NO” to reducing the amount of Vis Presidents in the IUAW. The Union is about saving jobs and organizing not reducing jobs, that’s a company function. I voted “NO” to their pay increases. I agree with Gary Walkowicz’s motion to amend this proposal. Gary asked for it to be directly tied to the workers raises and or concessions. If the shop floor worker takes a hit so should the IUAW, if the shop floor worker gets a pay increase so should the IUAW.

I voted “NO” on the proposal that allows the International Executive board to transfer up to 25 million each year for the next 4 years (100 million) from the strike fund and into the general fund. So they doubled the amount accessible with this proposal.

I hope this sheds some light on the matter and I hope we can all move on in Solidarity. I hope that Brother Bob King is the man, and the Labor Leader that my Father say's he remembers him to be. I guess only time, and our labor battles that are certainly to come, will tell.

Edited by ReDemption
  • Like 2

This was a very good opportunity for the IUAW to gain some much needed respect back from the membership. Had the membership found out that they welcomed and supported the democratic system, that they had debate and mutual respect with equal opportunity, they would have gained some respect back. Had they (the administrative caucus) sat down with Gary and his supporters and listen to there ideas and grievances, the membership would have appreciated it and respected them much more. But instead they made a mockery of the entire democratic process. They taunted Gary and his supporters, they heckled and booed them. They even booed Gary’s nomination speaker. It was the most disgusting display of anti democratic actions that this Delegate has ever seen.

Gary knew that he didn’t stand a chance to win the election, but what he understood was the fact he got a nomination speech and that speech was truly about the shop floor worker and our retirees. Wow, who would have thought it, someone sticking there neck out for us shop floor workers. We better belittle him and berate him, how dare he speak out for us, and what was he thinking? He must have thought it was a UAW democratic convention and not the IUAW dictator convention such as it was. We better let him know that his membership will suffer the consequences for thinking that he could screw up the dictatorship and put his name in the mix of a democratic election process ran by the Union. (In case you didn’t catch on, that’s sarcasm)

Someone posted up that the membership of DTP will suffer the consequences of Gary’s actions. So are you saying that anyone who believes in and supports democracy will suffer misrepresentation from the IUAW? This statement in itself supports what I have said. I certainly hope Brother Bob King is better man and leader then the actions of retaliation you’re saying he will do, are suggesting he is.

My name is Jeff Hodges, I proudly represented local 3000, AAI unit, as one of their Delegates;

I voted “NO” to reducing the amount of Vis Presidents in the IUAW. The Union is about saving jobs and organizing not reducing jobs, that’s a company function. I voted “NO” to their pay increases. I agree with Gary Walkowicz’s motion to amend this proposal. Gary asked for it to be directly tied to the workers raises and or concessions. If the shop floor worker takes a hit so should the IUAW, if the shop floor worker gets a pay increase so should the IUAW.

I voted “NO” on the proposal that allows the International Executive board to transfer up to 25 million each year for the next 4 years (100 million) from the strike fund and into the general fund. So they doubled the amount accessible with this proposal.

I hope this sheds some light on the matter and I hope we can all move on in Solidarity. I hope that Brother Bob King is the man, and the Labor Leader that my Father say's he remembers him to be. I guess only time, and our labor battles that are certainly to come, will tell.

Good stuff.

I truly have been trying to avoid posting on this thread... But I've had all I can stand...and I can't stands no more.

If there are candidates that are qualified to run our Union, then let them run. But for all those that are patriciating Gary...you are missing the fact that you don't send the village idiot out to try and prove a point. Think about it... :redcard:

IS it election time already? No one gives a phuck how you voted. The IUAW didn't boo Gary's dumb ass, I heard it was the Delegates!

Listen to Gary's idea's and grievances? What grievances would they hear at the convention?

As far as sitting down with Gary to get his view, all they have to do is look in the mirror and say No Concessions with no other ideas. That would be pretty easy to do without sitting with Gary! It is easy to sit with blinders on and not looking at the entire labor movement. There are many other UAW members then Ford/GM and Chrysler. As far as a member of local 3000 I can picture now standing proud beating your chest, I hope to see you at DTP soon and then you and Gary can run on a slate together.

The IUAW took the same $ cost as GM did. The IUAW's agreement mirrors GM's agreement.

Buster take the time to read the posts. Then after your done beating your little chest, you might figure out why a Delegate would post up how they voted. As for your statement of "is it election time" no its not. Think up some other way of discredit, thats just old, stupid and worn out.

Most of the Delegates were Local International appointees (gee I wonder how they will vote, lol). Take a minute and you might figure it out. but then again you might not.

Gary never would have won.

He has no resolution to problems that need to be addressed by educated leaders.

Even if Gary could personally talk to every Delegate he would have never had a chance.

These Delegates themselves are all leaders. They know bullshit when they see it.Gary’s only position was “No Concessions”, which leaves him far short of being a problem solver.

The entire membership knows this is what we need. Problem solvers

None of us want concessions, not even our leaders.

Maybe in four years Gary can put a platform together that deals with problems and not just say no.

Then and only then will he be a threat to take the Presidency.

These Delegates booed Garys supporters. How can The IUAW have control over 1300 Delegates.

Not one person on that stage booed....... It was Delegates elected by their respective memberships that sent them to boo Gary. Members that voted for the Delegates to vote for Bob King were booing Gary because they were sent there to vote for Bob King.

It was easy to see 99% of the delegates were there for Bob. Plain and simpl

The root of the problem is Big Government sucking the economy dry and denying any growth into prosperity to the lower classes. This is in order to maintain and steadily increase their power. Unions will only increase their own members buying power at the expense of others; that is if they have not been corrupted by the corporations that they are supposed to be protecting their members from. There is no new wealth being created, as government is driving businesses away. Unions have been in favor of this Big Government all along. Now that it is biting them on the ass, they are covertly supporting Big Business. The solution to the problem is not going to be easy. We need to eliminate much of government, and some people will go through hardship and poverty until a new and real economy emerges. The survivors will be stronger, and more capable of building a strong America again.

Gary never would have won.

He has no resolution to problems that need to be addressed by educated leaders.

Even if Gary could personally talk to every Delegate he would have never had a chance.

These Delegates themselves are all leaders. They know bullshit when they see it.Gary’s only position was “No Concessions”, which leaves him far short of being a problem solver.

The entire membership knows this is what we need. Problem solvers

None of us want concessions, not even our leaders.

Maybe in four years Gary can put a platform together that deals with problems and not just say no.

Then and only then will he be a threat to take the Presidency.

These Delegates booed Garys supporters. How can The IUAW have control over 1300 Delegates.

Not one person on that stage booed....... It was Delegates elected by their respective memberships that sent them to boo Gary. Members that voted for the Delegates to vote for Bob King were booing Gary because they were sent there to vote for Bob King.

It was easy to see 99% of the delegates were there for Bob. Plain and simpl

:stop: Gary is the 'old school' union that I have spent years working around . . . I've said before, Bob King was my committeeman when I started and he too is 'old school', but was intelligent enough to make the necessary changes to help him advance along with some mentors that took him under their wing. . . I'm counting on some of the younger ones who have pride in their union and know the history that we older ones who fought for our way of life, come forward with intelligence and direction to take the union to strong, NEW highs and also have the sense that this new century is bringing challenges that we had never thought about 30 years ago. . . I know your out there, because some of the posts are thoughtful and understand the economy and corporate challenges. . . I would just suggest we stop beating each other up with hurtful words, just because our educational levels may be weaker/stronger than someone elses. . . Remember there are many different tools in a tool box. They each help an important part in building. . .

:stop: Gary is the 'old school' union that I have spent years working around . . . I've said before, Bob King was my committeeman when I started and he too is 'old school', but was intelligent enough to make the necessary changes to help him advance along with some mentors that took him under their wing. . . I'm counting on some of the younger ones who have pride in their union and know the history that we older ones who fought for our way of life, come forward with intelligence and direction to take the union to strong, NEW highs and also have the sense that this new century is bringing challenges that we had never thought about 30 years ago. . . I know your out there, because some of the posts are thoughtful and understand the economy and corporate challenges. . . I would just suggest we stop beating each other up with hurtful words, just because our educational levels may be weaker/stronger than someone elses. . . Remember there are many different tools in a tool box. They each help an important part in building. . .

Lets be honest for a second..would you REALLY want all the membership to be able to elect who the UAW president is in a mass vote??? That would be scary...someone like Gary would probably get elected..those ceos etc. would eat someone like Gary alive!..all that "no concessions bullshit out of him yet he NEVER offered any alternative program to help the companies etc..cnmon gary give us a concrete proposal of what you envision for the union going forward besides just saying NO and offering nothing else<<and people eat all his shit up amazing..sometimes a dictatorship isnt so bad..delegates who voted for gary be carefull what you wish for..D.Dean doorline dtp

Its amazing how many are not reading the posts and yet jumping to conclusions. Lets try this again, Please Read Slowly, Gary knew he stood no chance of winning, nobody on here is saying otherwise. He just wanted to speak out for the membership and in my opinion, his mission was accomplished.

Also, you say that he has no alterative offers. “No concessions” are an alternative offer to concessions. Holding the company accountable for everything they signed up for within our contracts is also an alterative offer as to not. Asking for the IUAW pay raises and or concessions to coincide with the shop floor workers is an alterative and a damn good suggestion.

Asking for a group of democrats to stand up for democracy, equality, fairness and understanding is in the union brothers opinion “not much to ask for” and shameful to have to.

I’m not trying to berate anyone on here, and I certainly don’t think that I’m smarter then anyone else. I’m just a union brother with my own opinion. Debate amongst brothers and sisters is good food for thought. I just think our IUAW representatives need to start having more open debate with us (and actually listening). Cramming things down our necks is long gone, we are a more educated work force, we are not going to be told our opinions and we need to be respected. Welcome to 2010, the days of leading sheep is over.

Be Good

• Like 1

Its amazing how many are not reading the posts and yet jumping to conclusions. Lets try this again, Please Read Slowly, Gary knew he stood no chance of winning, nobody on here is saying otherwise. He just wanted to speak out for the membership and in my opinion, his mission was accomplished.

Also, you say that he has no alterative offers. “No concessions” are an alternative offer to concessions. Holding the company accountable for everything they signed up for within our contracts is also an alterative offer as to not. Asking for the IUAW pay raises and or concessions to coincide with the shop floor workers is an alterative and a damn good suggestion.

Asking for a group of democrats to stand up for democracy, equality, fairness and understanding is in the union brothers opinion “not much to ask for” and shameful to have to.

I’m not trying to berate anyone on here, and I certainly don’t think that I’m smarter then anyone else. I’m just a union brother with my own opinion. Debate amongst brothers and sisters is good food for thought. I just think our IUAW representatives need to start having more open debate with us (and actually listening). Cramming things down our necks is long gone, we are a more educated work force, we are not going to be told our opinions and we need to be respected. Welcome to 2010, the days of leading sheep is over.

Be Good

I read your post and understand it clearly..I KNOW he had no possibility of winning(thank god)...my point is that he did it for political advantage..I work at his plant and have expirienced his election campaigns In my opinion he is an old school diehard whose methods and way of looking at the industry are out dated..What good did he do the union by running? Is him having run going to change the unions strategy in the new contract one bit? Lets call a spade a spade he did it for votes in his own plant..he is appealing to the SMALL base of supporters he has

• Like 1

We need to stick together for the 2011 agreement.

We need to stay educated on the facts. If we vote down whatever they bring us it will trigger a strike.

If we do strike it could be for months. Educate, be vigilent and be smart.

There is a war going on against the middle class and it may just fall on the 2011 Ford agreement.

Im ready.............. Are you?

• Like 1

Lets be honest for a second..would you REALLY want all the membership to be able to elect who the UAW president is in a mass vote??? That would be scary...someone like Gary would probably get elected..those ceos etc. would eat someone like Gary alive!..all that "no concessions bullshit out of him yet he NEVER offered any alternative program to help the companies etc..cnmon gary give us a concrete proposal of what you envision for the union going forward besides just saying NO and offering nothing else<<and people eat all his shit up amazing..sometimes a dictatorship isnt so bad..delegates who voted for gary be carefull what you wish for..D.Dean doorline dtp

:drop: I'm not sure if you were replying to my post or just confirming that Gary IS NOT the answer to our new struggles. . . I agree with you, that all the membership shouldn't vote for the UAW president, since corruption would come out of the walls. . . The "no concessions" that Gary was spouting was just for those of us who don't pay close attention to the direct issues. It was for the emotional, tho, I was one who supported "no concessions" in October, since I was aware of the financial stability of the company at the time. We have given back quite a bit over many years and when retirement is looming in my future, the younger ones were ready to let me eat cat food i.e. reduced health care for my end years. . . This industry usually gets hit every 10 or 20 years with downturns. It's important that you younger ones keep that in mind and should begin to prepare for your retirement now. What you are giving up for me now, will be what you will be fighting to get back later!!!

• Like 1

:drop: I'm not sure if you were replying to my post or just confirming that Gary IS NOT the answer to our new struggles. . . I agree with you, that all the membership shouldn't vote for the UAW president, since corruption would come out of the walls. . . The "no concessions" that Gary was spouting was just for those of us who don't pay close attention to the direct issues. It was for the emotional, tho, I was one who supported "no concessions" in October, since I was aware of the financial stability of the company at the time. We have given back quite a bit over many years and when retirement is looming in my future, the younger ones were ready to let me eat cat food i.e. reduced health care for my end years. . . This industry usually gets hit every 10 or 20 years with downturns. It's important that you younger ones keep that in mind and should begin to prepare for your retirement now. What you are giving up for me now, will be what you will be fighting to get back later!!!

I agree DTP...people have to keep an open mind in 2011...we will get back most if not all we gave up..but i dont see us gaining much beyond that