Transmission Fluid Change

FEH2009

What is the recommended miliage/months for a transmission fluid change/flush for a 2009 Escape Hybrid. There is nothing in the manual under the scheduled maintenance section (which I thought was strange). I saw something online that implied you should change at 30,000 miles which seemed quite low to me. My 2004 Chevy Malibu is scheduled at 150,000 miles (currently has 130,000 miles on it and runs perfectly). If it is 30,000, why does it need to be changed so often. Any help would be appreciated.

Edited by FEH2009

What is the recommended miliage/months for a transmission fluid change/flush for a 2009 Escape Hybrid. There is nothing in the manual under the scheduled maintenance section (which I thought was strange). I saw something online that implied you should change at 30,000 miles which seemed quite low to me. My 2004 Chevy Malibu is scheduled at 150,000 miles (currently has 130,000 miles on it and runs perfectly). If it is 30,000, why does it need to be changed so often. Any help would be appreciated.

Look in the seperate Scheduled Maintanence Booklet. The Hybrid transmission is nothing like a gas version and you can't compare the two.

Look in the seperate Scheduled Maintanence Booklet. The Hybrid transmission is nothing like a gas version and you can't compare the two.

Thanks for the reply. I looked and do not have a separate Scheduled Maintenance Booklet. The scheduled maintenance is included in the "2009 Ford Escape Hybrid" manual. It has specific references to the hybrid so I assumed (I know what happens when you assume) everything included was specific to the hybrid. That all being said, if anyone has any info regarding the recommended interval for transmission fluid change on the 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid that would be appreciated. I am taking the vehicle in for regular maintenance later this week and since it is not an inexpensive procedure to be performed (especially every 30K miles) I thought I would do a little research first.

Thanks for the reply. I looked and do not have a separate Scheduled Maintenance Booklet. The scheduled maintenance is included in the "2009 Ford Escape Hybrid" manual. It has specific references to the hybrid so I assumed (I know what happens when you assume) everything included was specific to the hybrid. That all being said, if anyone has any info regarding the recommended interval for transmission fluid change on the 2009 Ford Escape Hybrid that would be appreciated. I am taking the vehicle in for regular maintenance later this week and since it is not an inexpensive procedure to be performed (especially every 30K miles) I thought I would do a little research first.

"Thanks for the reply. I looked and do not have a separate Scheduled Maintenance Booklet." Why thank him, you ask a question and couldn't find the answer and he told you to look it up.

There is no Ford scheduled maintenance for changing the transmission fluid in the FEH eCVT. I looked it up a few years ago for my '05 FEH and found none and I went ahead and checked my '09 FEH Workshop Manual Maintenance Schedule for you. There is still no requirements and the schedule goes up to 150,000 miles. Only the 4WD rear axle lubricant has to changed at 150,000 miles. I go by the schedule and say if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Trust me, if Ford Engineers thought the eCVT needed a fluid change it would be in the schedule after 4 years. Go by the schedule on everything.

2009 Ford maintenance guide

The Escape falls under the trucks and SUV section which calls for changing the fluid at 150,000 miles.

You're welcome.......

Your link requires membership to open. My '09 and '05 Helms Manuals separate the gas Escapes from the Hybrid Escapes scheduled maintenance requirements and the gas versions without the eCVT do require changing the fluid at 150,000 miles. The separate FEH section does not. Can you paste where it states the eCVT fluid needs to be changed at 150,000 miles?

No it does not. Check your browser.

Here is the message I get:

An Error has been detected.

* You do not have permissions to this site/page or

* Your access permission may have timed out.

Helpful Hint: Please remember to close your browser window to logoff and then login back in twice a day.

I get a login request also. If we were using "your" computer it would work but that's not the case.

I'm not registered and it's not MY computer - but I see the problem. The pdf links to a different website. Go here and select 2009 FEH, then click on the Maintenance Guide link.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

Edited by akirby

I'm not registered and it's not MY computer - but I see the problem. The pdf links to a different website. Go here and select 2009 FEH, then click on the Maintenance Guide link.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/default.asp

Thanks, that site worked but does not address the '09 FEH Maintenance schedule. Oil changes are not for the FEH which is every 10,000 miles and there are no maintenance requirements for hybrid components like battery filters. I checked the '05 Escape and it did list the Escape Hybrid but there was no maintenance schedule and I could not even put up the owners manual.

That site directs you to the Helms Manuals which I was quoting for the Escape Hybrid. I have full sets of the '05 and '09 Escapes manuals and the Escape Hybrid has its own special sections for maintenance. Again, there is no eCVT fluid maintenance requirements except for the electronics coolant fluid which we are not talking about.

That's the default schedule unless the owner's manual or other documents specify differently. If it's not in the owner's manual is there a special FEH maintenance guide that comes with the vehicle?

The owners manual has the maintenance schedule in it and I got no other guide with my '09 FEH. I just rechecked my manual package and the owners manual maintenance schedule says the same thing as my Workshop Manual section on Hybrids. The dealers will tell you the eCVT is a sealed unit and the transmission fluid does not require changing. I just read another post on GH that a dealer confirmed this: http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f26/completed-100-000km-service-05-feh-24471/

You need to rethink before your post! The link was bad and wrong and misled the poster and others! "You're welcome!" give me and others a break!

The link wasn't bad or wrong - you just had to go through the motorcraft site first before it would allow you to pull it up, as I posted later. Unless there is another section in the owner's manual or another separate maintenance guide for the FEH then that IS the factory recommended maintenance instructions. If Ford is publishing incorrect information that's not my problem.

Here's the Drain & Refill procedure for the eCVT right from the '09FEH Workshop Manual.

Now, that you admit having access to the '09 Helms Manuals, why didn't you post the real answer to his question? Why are you playing games? Just tell the truth if that is possible for you! Stop playing games and try to help people!

Now, that you admit having access to the '09 Helms Manuals, why didn't you post the real answer to his question? Why are you playing games? Just tell the truth if that is possible for you! Stop playing games and try to help people!

That's because the manuals provides no answer to the question that I could find, only the procedure of how to do it! You need help as you take this stuff too seriousily.