2010 Fusion Sport loud tick

freddy

2010 Fusion Sport with 3100 miles. Whenever it is cold started it has a tick that goes away in about 5 minutes. I brought it to the dealer and they told me that there is nothing wrong and it is normal. It this common on the 3.5?. It does not do it, if you restart a few hours later, but otherwise....

Edited by freddy

2010 Fusion Sport with 3100 miles. Whenever it is cold started it has a tick that goes away in about 5 minutes. I brought it to the dealer and they told me that there is nothing wrong and it is normal. It this common on the 3.5?. It does not do it, if you restart a few hours later, but otherwise....

I have a 2010 Sport AWD with 9500 trouble free miles and haven't witnessed any such noise. I'd recommend having a friend or neighbor listen for it too. Maybe you're hearing things.....maybe you're not. Another set of ears may help identify the source. I would also check the oil level just to be certain.

Hi Freddy. :D Unfortunately, it is impossible for us to really help over the Internet. Some ticking, especially on cold start-up, can be considered normal with DOHC engines. And even in normal cases some DOHC engines will have no noticeable ticking at all (according to who is doing the listening). So odds are, the Dealer is probably correct.

However, whether the ticking you are hearing is normal is impossible for us to diagnose over the Internet. Therefore, if you are still leery, it might be a good idea to try another Dealership for a second opinion.

Let us know the outcome.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I disagree about it being normal. I have a 2010 Sport AWD with almost 19,000 miles. It sites outside :cry: , including last February in the brutal cold of Western PA. I've never noticed ticking!

I disagree about it being normal. I have a 2010 Sport AWD with almost 19,000 miles. It sites outside :cry: , including last February in the brutal cold of Western PA. I've never noticed ticking!

Hi 89-Pony. :D Unfortunately, you did not read my reply carefully or simply misunderstood what I wrote. I will quote the important parts you overlooked or misunderstood that directly answer your reply:

1 -"Some ticking, especially on cold start-up, can be considered normal with DOHC engines."

2 - "And even in normal cases some DOHC engines will have no noticeable ticking at all (according to who is doing the listening)."

As you can see, I stated "...can be considered normal with DOHC engines." and "...some DOHC engines will have no noticeable ticking at all...". Therefore, when I stated "...can be considered normal", that did not infer that all of them will tick. It means some may tick and still be working just fine while others may not tick at all. And my statement that "..even in normal cases, some DOHC engines will have no noticeable ticking at all..." speaks for itself. Some DOHC engines will have no noticeable ticking at all. So you are lucky and have one that has no noticeable ticking at all. But that does not mean that others don't have some mild ticking on cold start-up.just because yours does not. The two possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

To phrase it in a way that may be more understandable: What is "normal" can vary from engine to engine and some "normal" or perfectly operating DOHC engines may exhibit a tick, while others will not. In other words, even in perfectly working DOHC engines, sounds will vary from engine to engine. So in your case, yours does not exhibit a tick. That does not mean that another perfectly functioning 3.5L will not have some ticking sound. It is not unusual for DOHC engines to sometimes exhibit a tick on clod start-up. You are lucky and yours does not. Again, the two possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

The fact that DOHC engines sometimes exhibit a bit of ticking (more than OHV or SOHC engines) on cold start-up is common automotive knowledge that can be easily verified with a little research. It is not some far out and unverifiable opinion.

However, all of that aside, the main point of my reply was that none of us can diagnose whether Freddy's engine is/is not exhibiting unusual noises over the Internet. We can't diagnose whether his ticking is "normal" or not. So if he still feels his engine may not be functioning properly, he has two main choices. take it back to his Dealer, or to another Dealer for a second opinion.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi 89-Pony. :D Unfortunately, you did not read my reply carefully or simply misunderstood what I wrote. I will quote the important parts you overlooked or misunderstood that directly answer your reply:

1 -"Some ticking, especially on cold start-up, can be considered normal with DOHC engines."

2 - "And even in normal cases some DOHC engines will have no noticeable ticking at all (according to who is doing the listening)."

As you can see, I stated "...can be considered normal with DOHC engines." and "...some DOHC engines will have no noticeable ticking at all...". Therefore, when I stated "...can be considered normal", that did not infer that all of them will tick. It means some may tick and still be working just fine while others may not tick at all. And my statement that "..even in normal cases, some DOHC engines will have no noticeable ticking at all..." speaks for itself. Some DOHC engines will have no noticeable ticking at all. So you are lucky and have one that has no noticeable ticking at all. But that does not mean that others don't have some mild ticking on cold start-up.just because yours does not. The two possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

To phrase it in a way that may be more understandable: What is "normal" can vary from engine to engine and some "normal" or perfectly operating DOHC engines may exhibit a tick, while others will not. In other words, even in perfectly working DOHC engines, sounds will vary from engine to engine. So in your case, yours does not exhibit a tick. That does not mean that another perfectly functioning 3.5L will not have some ticking sound. It is not unusual for DOHC engines to sometimes exhibit a tick on clod start-up. You are lucky and yours does not. Again, the two possibilities are not mutually exclusive.

The fact that DOHC engines sometimes exhibit a bit of ticking (more than OHV or SOHC engines) on cold start-up is common automotive knowledge that can be easily verified with a little research. It is not some far out and unverifiable opinion.

However, all of that aside, the main point of my reply was that none of us can diagnose whether Freddy's engine is/is not exhibiting unusual noises over the Internet. We can't diagnose whether his ticking is "normal" or not. So if he still feels his engine may not be functioning properly, he has two main choices. take it back to his Dealer, or to another Dealer for a second opinion.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Wow. You have way too much time on your hands. You feel better now that you got all of that off of your chest.? So let me put it this way, just to clear up any confusion: You CAN consider that I've never had that problem on my particular car.

Wow. You have way too much time on your hands. You feel better now that you got all of that off of your chest.? So let me put it this way, just to clear up any confusion: You CAN consider that I've never had that problem on my particular car.

I am glad you have one that ticks less. Your good luck still does not change the well known facts about DOHC engines.

However my reply to you was courteous and only meant to be informational. Yours was rude. Some of us are here to help others by providing correct information. We accomplish that task easily because we are equipped with reading comprehension skills that are at least up to par. Hope you feel better after your poor attempt at attacking me in order to deflect attention from your lack of those same skills.

The Internet is already full of discourteous individuals who are brave in their anonymity. You have proven yourself to be one of them and have been reported to the Moderators..

Edited by bbf2530

I am glad you have one that ticks less. Your good luck still does not change the well known facts about DOHC engines.

However my reply to you was courteous and only meant to be informational. Yours was rude. Some of us are here to help others by providing correct information which can accomplish task is easy to do when reading comprehension skills are up to par. Hope you feel better after your attempt to deflect attention from your lack of those came skills.

The Internet is already full of discourteous individuals who are brave in their anonymity. You have proven yourself to be one of them and have been reported to the Moderators..

Where do I begin with this? I thought your original response to me was very condescending, and I think arrogant. At least that's how it came across. But I didn't report you to anybody. You discounted my OPINION that I didn't think this kind of ticking should be accepted as normal. You clearly disagree and spent several paragraphs saying so. Brave in my anonymity? I don't see your actual name on your post either! If you want to tattle to the moderator police because you think I don't play nice, that's fine. I'll let you know when I start losing sleep over that. I don't think my tone to you was any different than your tone to me.

By the way -- I'm done talking about this.

Edited by 89-Pony

Where do I begin with this? I thought your original response to me was very condescending, and I think arrogant. At least that's how it came across. But I didn't report you to anybody. You discounted my OPINION that I didn't think this kind of ticking should be accepted as normal. You clearly disagree and spent several paragraphs saying so. Brave in my anonymity? I don't see your actual name on your post either! If you want to tattle to the moderator police because you think I don't play nice, that's fine. I'll let you know when I start losing sleep over that. I don't think my tone to you was any different than your tone to me.

By the way -- I'm done talking about this.

My first reply to you was neither intended to be, nor should have been taken as condescending. If it was, I would say so. But that is not the way I conduct myself in person or on the Internet. You misunderstood the meaning of my reply to Freddy and to you (which again, was not meant to be condescending). However, you must admit that your reply to me was intentionally condescending.

In addition, I did not "discount your opinion". I merely explained the well known automotive fact that some ticking can be considered normal on cold start-up with a DOHC engine (including the 3.0 and 3.5L engines in our cars).. However, that does not mean that all DOHC engines (including ours) will necessarily tick. You are one of the lucky ones that have an engine with little to no ticking. I also have one with little to no ticking. But a certain amount of ticking can be considered normal. Whether Freddy's is normal or not will be impossible to diagnose over the Internet.

As far as your use of the word "tattle"? Well...adults don't "tattle". They report transgressors to the appropriate authority instead of useless sniping. That is exactly what I did, make a report to the appropriate authority. And that is what everyone should do in the same situation.

I have now repeatedly informed you that my first reply was not meant to be condescending. I am willing to treat this entire situation as water under the bridge and chalk it up to one big misunderstanding, if you can do the same. Hopefully, if you can then we can simply move on.

Edited by bbf2530

I thought your original response to me was very condescending, and I think arrogant.

You said ticking was absolutely NOT normal - based on the fact that YOU had not heard any ticking. bbf2530 may be long-winded but he was completely correct. Normal doesn't mean it happens to everybody.

You said ticking was absolutely NOT normal - based on the fact that YOU had not heard any ticking. bbf2530 may be long-winded but he was completely correct. Normal doesn't mean it happens to everybody.

Poor Freddy. Did you get the response you needed?

I think we're all trying to help. Nobody intended for this to turn into a firestorm.

Bottom line--get a 2nd opinion just to put your mind at ease.

Many of us have experience with the DOHC's and what one may consider a noise another may not. I had a 2.5L Duratec in a Contour SE that had a certain amount of what I'll call "clatter" in the valve train ever since new. 150K trouble free miles later it was still there but others I'd asked to listen could not detect it. This 3.5 has a bit of that "clatter" too so I completely ignore it.

Good luck...enjoy your ride. These Fusion Sports are sweet.

My first reply to you was neither intended to be, nor should have been taken as condescending. If it was, I would say so. But that is not the way I conduct myself in person or on the Internet. You misunderstood the meaning of my reply to Freddy and to you (which again, was not meant to be condescending). However, you must admit that your reply to me was intentionally condescending.

In addition, I did not "discount your opinion". I merely explained the well known automotive fact that some ticking can be considered normal on cold start-up with a DOHC engine (including the 3.0 and 3.5L engines in our cars).. However, that does not mean that all DOHC engines (including ours) will necessarily tick. You are one of the lucky ones that have an engine with little to no ticking. I also have one with little to no ticking. But a certain amount of ticking can be considered normal. Whether Freddy's is normal or not will be impossible to diagnose over the Internet.

As far as your use of the word "tattle"? Well...adults don't "tattle". They report transgressors to the appropriate authority instead of useless sniping. That is exactly what I did, make a report to the appropriate authority. And that is what everyone should do in the same situation.

I have now repeatedly informed you that my first reply was not meant to be condescending. I am willing to treat this entire situation as water under the bridge and chalk it up to one big misunderstanding, if you can do the same. Hopefully, if you can then we can simply move on.

I apologize if I misread your intent. I disagree that I said anything, or used any tone, that was worthy of reporting, but doing so is your right. I agree that this was a misunderstanding and/or miscommunication. It is water under the bridge, and I look forward to future conversations.

Freddy: My apologies to you if I caused distraction from your request for info & help. I have never experienced this kind of ticking in my 3.5. If you are uncomfortable with it or with the dealer's response, by all means get a second opinion.

Edited by 89-Pony

I apologize if I misread your intent. I disagree that I said anything, or used any tone, that was worthy of reporting, but doing so is your right. I agree that this was a misunderstanding and/or miscommunication. It is water under the bridge, and I look forward to future conversations.

Freddy: My apologies to you if I caused distraction from your request for info & help. I have never experienced this kind of ticking in my 3.5. If you are uncomfortable with it or with the dealer's response, by all means get a second opinion.

I am going to another dealer tomorrow, but the trick is being there and having the engine cold. Over the phone he gave a possible parts expansion story as to why it goes away in the few minutes, and nothing can be done if so.

The first week, I smelled coolantI the car a coolant line running over the engine leaking which made me suspect of the car from the beginning. It's a black Sport that looks real good though. But an embarrassing tick, knock clack or whatever you want to call it.

I am going to another dealer tomorrow, but the trick is being there and having the engine cold. Over the phone he gave a possible parts expansion story as to why it goes away in the few minutes, and nothing can be done if so.

The first week, I smelled coolantI the car a coolant line running over the engine leaking which made me suspect of the car from the beginning. It's a black Sport that looks real good though. But an embarrassing tick, knock clack or whatever you want to call it.

I have the black also. You're right, it's a looker. What ever happened with that coolant leak? Did they have to tighten or replace something? And just for amusement, check the oil level. I don't know if OHC engines are the same way, but a couple beaters I had back in the college days burned oil or leaked oil, and when the oil got low they would knock, especially when cold. I don't expect that you have an oil leak or are burning any, but you never know.

I have the black also. You're right, it's a looker. What ever happened with that coolant leak? Did they have to tighten or replace something? And just for amusement, check the oil level. I don't know if OHC engines are the same way, but a couple beaters I had back in the college days burned oil or leaked oil, and when the oil got low they would knock, especially when cold. I don't expect that you have an oil leak or are burning any, but you never know.

The leak was a line running across the front portion of the engine, it has some insulation on it. The leak caused coolant puddled on top of the engine, the line was changed, engine cleaned and its been alright.

Oil is fine, just had the first change, if it burned oil it should be returned right through their front window.

The mechanic I saw today said its not too bad and may change. He said a Ford Rep. will tell you to run to about 6000 then see where it stands. Considering I only drive 6000 a year, it will be awhile.

My sport has a lot of clatter on start up. Discussed with service tech who also sugested that some duratechs are noisy. I found it made more noise with synthetic then dyno oil. I know my harley makes more noise with synthetic then it did with dyno oil.

It's a shame because it sounds good when warm with just the tapping of the tappets.