E-Series Engines-Powertrains

I think that the 5.4 V8 and 6.8 V10 and 4 speed auto in their current forms will soldier on in the E Series until there is a major change. The market they sell to is not demanding more power, and very few are sold to the normal retail buyers.

I think that the 5.4 V8 and 6.8 V10 and 4 speed auto in their current forms will soldier on in the E Series until there is a major change. The market they sell to is not demanding more power, and very few are sold to the normal retail buyers.

How does this affect chassis-cab sales? What is the competition doing in the motorhome and ambulance markets? What about diesel?

I bet they'd be for fuel economy improvements though.

Forget the more power ! Better fuel economy !!

If I could get another E150 Chateau with the new 5.0L and a 6 speed I would seriously consider it ! I don't trust my 12 year old on cross country trips even though she only has 100k mile.

Forget the more power ! Better fuel economy !!

If I could get another E150 Chateau with the new 5.0L and a 6 speed I would seriously consider it ! I don't trust my 12 year old on cross country trips even though she only has 100k mile.

Personally, I would love to have an E350 Chateau with the 6.4L Powerstroke & Quiqley 4WD conversion. Something like this:

nerf_bars-9_lg.jpg

roof-rack-4_lg.jpg

Edited by NLPRacing

One of the reasons I posted this question is that I am trying to forcast my next vehicle that will replace my Dodge mini-van in 2 years or so.

A 5.0L 6 speed with Quigley 4x4 is my dream Man-Van.

My Dad has a 5.4L cargo E250 and it is fine for power but like others said, fuel economy would likely get better with the newer combo.

Guess I'll keep dreaming.

How does this affect chassis-cab sales? What is the competition doing in the motorhome and ambulance markets? What about diesel?

Cutaway and stripped chassis have mostly been the 5.4 for over 10 years now. Stripped chassis for motorhome have always been V10 since it has been introduced. From the looks of things, the future of the E Series will follow the path blazed by the panther platform. With one big exception - there will be a successor to carry on when the last of the current design E Series is driven off the line.

Cutaway and stripped chassis have mostly been the 5.4 for over 10 years now. Stripped chassis for motorhome have always been V10 since it has been introduced. From the looks of things, the future of the E Series will follow the path blazed by the panther platform. With one big exception - there will be a successor to carry on when the last of the current design E Series is driven off the line.

It seems the V10 will live on for a while, but how much longer are they going to build 4.6's & 5.4's for just the E-Series?

Since the 6.8 V10 is based on the 5.4 V8, with the current volumes of the E Series, I see both continuing as long as the E Series is in its current form. And with the V10 slated to go into the F650, that will help preserve volume. I can see the 2 valve 4.6 going away before the 5.4.