290 hp 3.5 Explorer

johnson505

Does anybody know what the diference is between the 2010 Fusion Sport 3.5 263 hp and the 2011 Explorer 3.5 290hp. I wanted to know if I would be able to increase the horse power in my Sport to 290 hp. I also thought about getting a Steeda programmer and air intake, but they have not created anything for the 3.5 in the Fusion.

Thanks,

Does anybody know what the diference is between the 2010 Fusion Sport 3.5 263 hp and the 2011 Explorer 3.5 290hp. I wanted to know if I would be able to increase the horse power in my Sport to 290 hp. I also thought about getting a Steeda programmer and air intake, but they have not created anything for the 3.5 in the Fusion.

Thanks,

The 2011 3.5L 290hp has direct fuel injection like the EcoBoost but without the turbos. I've been doing some research on that engine and it's 20% more fuel efficient than the old 3.5L V6. I've made up my mind to replace my '02 EB Explorer I need for towing my boat with that 2011 FWD Limited Explorer with the new 3.5L and 6 speed Auto/Manual transmission. http://www.leftlanenews.com/ford-explorer.html

Sorry to doubt you, but what evidence do you to support your claim ?

No evidence, just what the article says in the link combined with Ford's statements about the engine being new, 20% more efficient, and 290hp. I was hoping for the 3.5L EcoBoost in the 2011 Explorer because the V8 is no longer available. When I read the new 3.5L had direct injection this answered how Ford got a 20% improvement in FE and the increase to 290hp. I really don't need the turbos for this type of vehicle but I need the 290hp and better efficiency than the old V6 which I've owned.

I think you are confusing Ti-VCT with DI. Ford does not currently offer the 3.5 with DI in anything but the Ecoboost models.

Ti-VCT is not DI.

(Yes, LLN says DI - but I'd put money on them being wrong)

Edited by sullynd

I think you are confusing Ti-VCT with DI. Ford does not currently offer the 3.5 with DI in anything but the Ecoboost models.

Ti-VCT is not DI.

(Yes, LLN says DI - but I'd put money on them being wrong)

I'm not confusing Ti-VCT (twin independent variable camshaft timing) with DI but the LLN article does appear to be wrong. I have seen conflicting information that the new 3.5L is still port injected from AutoBlog. The 27hp increase is a lot for just Ti-VCT and I read the new V6 has a forge steel crank and four bolt main caps. I like that as well as the 290hp with 20% better FE than the old 4.0 V6 and 30% better FE than the old V8.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that what Ford said/meant was that the new Explorer (FWD with the 3.5L) will be 20% more FE than the old model (RWD with the 4.0L). The older model was rated at 20 mpg hwy so the new one should get 24.

Edited by T'Cal