AWD: 2011 Explorer vs 2006 Mariner

This forum seems to be the most active so I pose my question here instead of the Tech Forum. The question is can someone compare and contrast the AWD system in my 2006 Mariner to the upcoming 2011 Explorer. My main need for AWD is winter, never trail ride except an occasional dirt road, don't take into the sand at the beach either. Haven't had any problems with the Mariner's system and would like to know if the new Explorer will have the same capabilities. Thanks.

My main need for AWD is winter, never trail ride except an occasional dirt road, don't take into the sand at the beach either. Haven't had any problems with the Mariner's system and would like to know if the new Explorer will have the same capabilities. Thanks.

If anything the Explorer will be even better with its electronic terrain control setup its getting

I drove a 2010 Escape AWD last December during one of the Northeast Snowmegations we had (2 foot plus snow) and never got stuck..there was a point in time I was going down roads even the plows didn't even hit. I even tried to get it stuck and couldn't, but the snow was very dry also...that time around.

The AWD system in the 2011 Explorer is a generally revised version of the 2006 Mariner's AWD system.

Both systems consist of an electromagnetic software controlled clutch pack that transfers torque in 10% increments to the rear axle, up to 100%. I believe the current Intelligent AWD system used on Ford products is an upgrade from the 2006 Mariner's Intelligent AWD system which was, essentially, the second generation of the original ControlTrac system (co developed by Borg-Warner and Ford for the Explorer in the early 90s).

Unlike the Haldex system that was initially installed on D3 Fords (and ControlTrac II which was on 2000-2005 Escapes), it is not hydraulic and does not contain a center differential.

If you buy the Terrain Management equipped Explorer, you get a cooling circuit on the rear output shaft in the transfer case.

Edited by RichardJensen

My main need for AWD is winter,

Test conducted in Canada show that 4 "winter tires" on a FWD vehicle actually do better on snow and ice in cornering and stopping than "all weather tires" on a 4WD or AWD vehicle. That is why "winter tires" are required on passenger vehicle in Quebec from December 15 through March 15.

Snow tires are not winter tires.

of course, cornering and stopping aren't the only things you deal with in snow--especially if you live in the country--or in a town with inadequate plowing services.

Once you get out of the snow bank, you need to stop and corer.

All weather tires and 4WD or AWD won't help much if you get plowed in or ave 12 inches of snow on your side street.

Once you get out of the snow bank, you need to stop and corer.

All weather tires and 4WD or AWD won't help much if you get plowed in or ave 12 inches of snow on your side street.

I guess my attitude about that is that you shouldn't be driving at such speeds that your safety in stopping and cornering is dependent solely on the quality of tires you have.

AWD matters if you're at risk of getting stuck. Everything else should be based on your ability to *stop* not your ability to *go*.

• Like 1

Then I suppose sometimes you wouldn't drive at all....for weeks on end.

Huh?

You live in *Canada* and were never taught that "it's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop" when it comes to winter driving?

If you're driving your car at such speeds that the only difference between making a corner and missing it is the quality of your tires, you're overdriving road conditions.

• Like 1

There are times in Quebec and Ontario (as well as the maritimes and some New England states) where ice storms make driving at all near impossible. Sometimes, in that case, the tires can be the meaningful difference, which is why Quebec has made them mandatory (Though I'm still unclear whether it is snow tires or winter tires that they have made mandatory. The latter is much better than the former, which are simply all season tires).

Generally though, I agree that you have to drive to the conditions. Winter tires simply make that much easier. They allow for significantly shorter stopping.

Edited by suv_guy_19

The AWD system in the 2011 Explorer is a generally revised version of the 2006 Mariner's AWD system.

Both systems consist of an electromagnetic software controlled clutch pack that transfers torque in 10% increments to the rear axle, up to 100%. I believe the current Intelligent AWD system used on Ford products is an upgrade from the 2006 Mariner's Intelligent AWD system which was, essentially, the second generation of the original ControlTrac system (co developed by Borg-Warner and Ford for the Explorer in the early 90s).

Unlike the Haldex system that was initially installed on D3 Fords (and ControlTrac II which was on 2000-2005 Escapes), it is not hydraulic and does not contain a center differential.

If you buy the Terrain Management equipped Explorer, you get a cooling circuit on the rear output shaft in the transfer case.

My 2005 Escape Hybrid has the Intelligent 4wd system which was introduced in the 2005 year.

I drove a 2010 Escape AWD last December during one of the Northeast Snowmegations we had (2 foot plus snow) and never got stuck.

That's it, 2 Feet? Not saying much of a snow storm in my opinion.

You live in *Canada* and were never taught that "it's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop" when it comes to winter driving?

this is the problem with many people who do buy AWD or 4WD. They somehow believe that it'll help you stop as quick as it helps getting you going. Typically I see these owners learn the hard way.