What Is The Number One Feature Driving Ford Sales Upwards

Unless there are substantial changes to it, and Ford's approach to supporting it, I will not be buying another Ford with SYNC. It remains my only disappointment in my Flex.

If anyone is disappointed in Sync I firmly believe they either have a defective system or do not know how to use it.

My reasoning is I have been trying to learn the Hands Free Link voice command system in my wifes acura and that thing is an archaic piece of shit compared to Sync and its in a car that costs twice as much. I'm reduced to using it to answer calls and I pick who I want to call off the nav screen to save frustration.

If anyone is disappointed in Sync I firmly believe they either have a defective system or do not know how to use it.

Not at all, read syncmyride.com, lots of people are frustrated with it. My issues are well documented there and common, it's neither a defective system, nor user error. The issue centers around how SYNC systems without navigation deal with volume, and since it does not happen to navigation equipped systems many aren't aware of the issues.

(Guess which types of vehicles the press usually get?)

That's a bit of a tautology.

The question is, what makes Ford's products more competitive?

Effective market research.

Granted, that too is a bit of a tautology.

I would say that it's a combination of a management attitude that has switched focus from a cost-centric to value-centric approach: To wit--a willingness to spend more money on features/materials (e.g. sound deadening) that create a sense of value with target consumers.

In the past extra sound-deadening might have been excluded because it added, say, $15 to the total cost of the vehicle. Current management seems to have the attitude that spending that $15 is worth it because it increases the perceived value of the product, thus reducing the need to discount, thus generating a higher transaction price *and* a higher profit margin both in actual dollars and in percentage points. That involves market research, as you need to know what 'quality' items consumers will pay for, and how much they'll pay for them.

In my opinion that change in management philosophy--in decision weighting--is more responsible than any of its 'fruits' in terms of increasing Ford's transaction prices and market share.

----

The risk is that stasis may set in, and the criteria for approving/rejecting features may become institutionalized or tied to certain forceful personalities, instead of being periodically reviewed.

Not to say, of course, that people aren't important, rather, that a good manager will not leave a vacuum behind him when he's promoted/retires/leaves.

Edited by RichardJensen

Unless there are substantial changes to it, and Ford's approach to supporting it, I will not be buying another Ford with SYNC. It remains my only disappointment in my Flex.

The SYNC module is probably doing everything it can to be swapped out of that vehicle. You shouldn't take it personally.

I'm on my 3rd non-nav working sync vehicle. Exactly whats the problem? I'm really picky so if its common or bad on all of them I am surprised I missed it.

I have multiple issues with SYNC. The volume control is the main nuisance.

There is no discrete control of volume for SYNC (There is on the NAV units). Despite having the BT volume all the way up on my phone, a normal radio volume will result in the voice prompts being ear popping loud, and handsfree calling being impossibly quiet. This results in constantly having to change the volume.

The number one feature? Quality.

Ford has built a reputation for building Quality cars. I don't know how many people bought Hondas and Toyotas for perceived "Quality" advantage, but that perception has, thankfully shifted. Our Escape has over 110k miles and has really only needed routine maintenance.

Number two? Design.

Ford has some excellent, striking, attractive designs. I can't tell you the number of people who have been in my vehicle and said "This is a Ford"? My boss drives Audi's and was impressed. It not only looks good, but drives great.

Number three? Bailout (Or lack there of)

People can feel good about buying a Ford, and for good reason.

I have multiple issues with SYNC. The volume control is the main nuisance.

There is no discrete control of volume for SYNC (There is on the NAV units). Despite having the BT volume all the way up on my phone, a normal radio volume will result in the voice prompts being ear popping loud, and handsfree calling being impossibly quiet. This results in constantly having to change the volume.

Double tap the voice key and be done with the prompts. Yeah I know voice is too loud and so is the phone ringer.

Quality and Style here. Sync was low on my list as I really didn't want Microsoft anywhere near my car. And I was right. Sync is a typical Microsoft product that needs a lot of babysitting to work correctly. I should not have to reset to factory settings, pull fuses and a bunch of other BS to get it to work right. Yet that's what I had to do when I got an "Index Full" message from Sync.

I bought my car despite Sync, not because of it.

That's a bit of a tautology.

The question is, what makes Ford's products more competitive?

The following have either improved or are viewed to have improved over the last decade:

Reliability (remember the 2000 Focus reliability issues; compare to the 2006 Fusion with good reliability from the start)

Safety (remember the Explorer with Firestone Wilderness AT tire fiasco and the IIHS offset test of the 1997-2003 F-150; compare with today)

Ride and handling (as in, good in both, something some other companies have had trouble doing)

Fuel economy (from back of the pack to midpack in most segments and tops in some like the Fiesta and Mustang V6; also hybrids)

Early entry into the growing crossover SUV market (compared to GM and (Daimler)Chrysler)

Edited by tjl