Hyundai Sonata Turbo

tjl

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing power. Hyundais version of Ecoboost I guess. I'm not sure I'd buy this from Hyundai the first year out. It'll be interesting to see the reliability surveys when they start getting out there.

interesting, they getting smart overthere, they realised thier V6 wasnt cutting it so they went a different route.

It seems to be a really impressive car, technically speaking. That sounds like a great powertrain. I just really can't get into the styling. Most people seem to be in love with it, but I just really don't like it at all. I think its all the downward sloping lines, the character line down the side, and then how the headlights slope down low towards the nose - i'm not a fan! The tail end looks alright though. Hopefully Ford'll put that 2.0L EB into the Fusion soon enough! It's gonna happen right?

It seems to be a really impressive car, technically speaking. That sounds like a great powertrain. I just really can't get into the styling. Most people seem to be in love with it, but I just really don't like it at all. I think its all the downward sloping lines, the character line down the side, and then how the headlights slope down low towards the nose - i'm not a fan! The tail end looks alright though. Hopefully Ford'll put that 2.0L EB into the Fusion soon enough! It's gonna happen right?

Do we have a rating on the EB 2.0 thats scheduled into Fusion? This cars got a stout 274hp. I'm just wondering where the EB 2.0 stands against it.

interesting, they getting smart overthere, they realised thier V6 wasnt cutting it so they went a different route.

Not designing the car for a 6 cylinder engine likely helped it lose weight as well (it is lighter than the previous generation), resulting in greater improvements in both fuel economy and performance.

To date, the highest rated EB 2.0L I-4 that's been talked of comes in around 240-245 HP. However, it might get slightly more mpg than this Hyundai setup.

In Europe the just superseded 2.3 I-4 Mondeo averaged 9.3 liters/100km,

the new 2.0 Ecoboost Mondeo averages 7.5 liters/100km, a 20% improvement.

A conservative 10% improvement on Fusion's current 23 / 33 mpg mileage could become 25 / 36 mpg.

If any more than that is needed, the Fusion hybrid stands ready with 41 / 36.

Edited by jpd80

I didn't think that there was really a need for more power in the new Sonata, until I drove the 2.0T today. After the typical dead spot off the line the 2.0T takes off like a rocket all the way to the redline. Amazing. The car is so smooth you have no idea how fast you are driving, 100mph ++ is way too easy.