Steering Wheel Replacement

So we've gone and ordered a new Escape for my wife. Heaven knows when it will arrive. But in the meantime, there's this puzzle. She is very attached to her old car, a '90 Probe SE, that she bought when she was fresh out of college. Even though the car is no longer reliable and really needs to be replaced, she's become very emotionally attached to it. She has been wondering out loud what she can keep from her car before we donate it once the new one arrives.

Tops on her list is the steering wheel. Since it will need a wheel in order to be donated, that means that a different one would have to be installed. Anyone know if this is possible? Our normal mechanic said that he wouldn't be able to get one to install as a replacement, but I'm skeptical.

The obvious answer would be to simply not try to do it. But I'm trying to be a good husband and see what can be accomplished. Gear shift handle also was mentioned, but I am pretty sure she'd love to have the steering wheel. Any suggestions on where/how to come up with one? How interchangeable are pre-airbag steering wheels anyway?

So we've gone and ordered a new Escape for my wife. Heaven knows when it will arrive. But in the meantime, there's this puzzle. She is very attached to her old car, a '90 Probe SE, that she bought when she was fresh out of college. Even though the car is no longer reliable and really needs to be replaced, she's become very emotionally attached to it. She has been wondering out loud what she can keep from her car before we donate it once the new one arrives.

Tops on her list is the steering wheel. Since it will need a wheel in order to be donated, that means that a different one would have to be installed. Anyone know if this is possible? Our normal mechanic said that he wouldn't be able to get one to install as a replacement, but I'm skeptical.

The obvious answer would be to simply not try to do it. But I'm trying to be a good husband and see what can be accomplished. Gear shift handle also was mentioned, but I am pretty sure she'd love to have the steering wheel. Any suggestions on where/how to come up with one? How interchangeable are pre-airbag steering wheels anyway?

If you are donating it, they are only going to sell it for scrap....take the steering wheel and call the donation place....they will send a flatbed for it and take it straight to the junkyard...if they ask, tell 'em someone stole it....

Got a welder? Any steering wheel with a steel center could be attached to the steering shaft. This is the way we do it on derby cars anyways.

On a more serious note, I suspect there would be quite a few different Ford models from that time frame that share the same size steering shaft. I suspect the junkyard is full of steering wheels that would "bolt on". The only way to find out is to pull the exisiting one off and determine the diameter and spline count of the steering shaft, and then find one at the junkyard that matches. You can rent the steering wheel puller tool from Autozone or Advance for free.

Your best bet would be to call around to salvage yards to see if they have any Probes of those model years. They usually keep an inventory of such things. No idea how difficult it would be to replace, but I'm sure any steering wheel from that design would be interchangable.

Thanks, Nick. First, though, I think I'll stick around for awhile in hopes of finding a suggestion that can be carried out on the 'net (as opposed to the old fashioned way with yellow pages, phone calls). :)

Got a welder? Any steering wheel with a steel center could be attached to the steering shaft. This is the way we do it on derby cars anyways.

On a more serious note, I suspect there would be quite a few different Ford models from that time frame that share the same size steering shaft. I suspect the junkyard is full of steering wheels that would "bolt on". The only way to find out is to pull the exisiting one off and determine the diameter and spline count of the steering shaft, and then find one at the junkyard that matches. You can rent the steering wheel puller tool from Autozone or Advance for free.

I think since this car was Mazda based.....might be better to look at 323's, 626's, and 929's in the bone yard....