FEH mpg on FWD vs 4WD question

jerrybb

I'm shopping right now for my first Escape (want to buy a clean used one) and have pretty much narrowed it down to an '09 - '10 FEH, prob a Limited version but I'm torn between the FWD and the 4WD. I live in Calif where I practically never get in snow, and I've only used 4WD on my present Bronco once or twice and really didn't need it even then. What is the real world difference in mpg between the two versions, not just the EPA estimates. I'm thinking for my needs I can prob just get the FWD version and the traction control may help in the few times I may go off on a dirt road or such. I've also been looking at a Honda CR-V, very similar in most respects but I've always been a Ford truck person and prefer something more truck-like than the Honda so I'm going with the FEH. Thanks in advance

Personally, I would go for the CR-V.

I have a 2006 FEH, and experienced a 'catastrophic engine failure' @ 37 months / 65,000 miles. The $7000 I spent on a remanufactured replacement engine more than made up for any savings in fuel costs. Ironically, the remanufactured engine has a better warranty than the factory original.

My advice is get a '09 FEH Limited if you can find someone stupid enough to part with it. I have a '05 and '09 FEH Limited and the '09 is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'm a hypermiler and the only gas I can buy is E10. Even with E10 I have a 53mpg lifetime average from the day it rolled off the assembly line. The '09 is better than the '10 because it has an aux A/C that keeps the battery at the perfect operating temperature for EV use. The aux A/C was dropped in 2010 and newer and has a battery killing electric A/C compressor that's no good for city driving and EV where you get the best mileage.

The AWD is a good system for traction but drinks gas. The newer 2011 Explorer has solved that problem and has good traction and good MPG because of the change in design of how it works only when needed.

Gary, I've read lots of your posts and your mileage charts before I asked the question, but I'd still like to know how much of a hit I'd be taking with 4WD. Haven't made up my mind yet between FWD and 4WD but I'm thinking it may be too much mileage loss for the very few times I'd use it.

Gary, I've read lots of your posts and your mileage charts before I asked the question, but I'd still like to know how much of a hit I'd be taking with 4WD. Haven't made up my mind yet between FWD and 4WD but I'm thinking it may be too much mileage loss for the very few times I'd use it.

It doesn't matter if you're a hypermiler the present 4WD FEH is never going to get near the MPG as the FWD. It's all about drivetrain drag and drivetrain acceleration. The 4WD will cost you 25% less MPG than a FWD FEH every day you drive it. I've own 4WD vehicles and only use them in small percentage of times and it was a total waste of gas and money. If 4WD is required months out of the year you have no choice but a few times, forget it. The extra repair on a 4WD is just another reason to stay away from one.

I think I agree about just going with 2wd for the few or no times I'd need 4wd, especially living out here where the winter temp is usually in the 50's. EPA says 2wd is 34/31 and 4wd is 29/27 which isn't 25% but still enough to be significant and almost negate the reasons for getting a hybrid. Thanks

I think I agree about just going with 2wd for the few or no times I'd need 4wd, especially living out here where the winter temp is usually in the 50's. EPA says 2wd is 34/31 and 4wd is 29/27 which isn't 25% but still enough to be significant and almost negate the reasons for getting a hybrid. Thanks

Get much snow in San Francisco or Jupiter, FL?? Depends where you live or where you go if 4WD is worth the extra money or loss of MPG.

Edited by wptski

When I ordered my '05 FEH I took the money the 4WD would have cost and got the expensive Nav system and all the other options available. At the time, I just wanted to get an SUV that got good gas mileage and really didn't think about how much more benefits the FWD would have over the 4WD regarding MPG. Ford was claiming the '05 FEH could go up to 25mph in EV but they must have been talking about the 4WD because the day I took delivery I was exceeding 30mph in EV in my FWD. No matter what the EPA rating was, I was getting far better mileage because the drag was far less with the FWD than the 4WD in EV. I never expected to get 40mpg tanks by just using EV whenever I could.

When I ordered my '09 FEH I had learned about hypermiling and developed many new techniques myself. If I had gotten a 4WD '05 FEH I would have never understood how drivetrain drag effects mileage and be where I'm at today with a lifetime MPG of 53mpg. The '09 4WD has a combined EPA rating of 28mpg and my tanks have improved with well over 100% of that EPA rating http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG%28US%29&viewcar=2612 scroll down. In my post I used 25% better than a 4WD system and that is a more realistic number with the average driver than the EPA rating.

So, the 4wd escape have much better MPG than the EPA ratings suggest, if you drive them right? And thus the FWD are better yet? That's really awesome results!

No, I'm just saying the '09 FWD has much less drivetrain drag and given conditions other than very cold conditions can exceed the EPA ratings by 25% over the same conditions of the 4WD FEH. In your case in AK, you only have a few months of cool weather and the rest of the year requires tires with studs for ice conditions, you most likely will never see even EPA numbers in a 4WD or FWD. Studs add to the weight of the tires which will increase roll resistance far more than the stock EPA rated FEH that comes with LRR tires.

• 1 month later...

I'm shopping right now for my first Escape (want to buy a clean used one) and have pretty much narrowed it down to an '09 - '10 FEH, prob a Limited version but I'm torn between the FWD and the 4WD. I live in Calif where I practically never get in snow, and I've only used 4WD on my present Bronco once or twice and really didn't need it even then. What is the real world difference in mpg between the two versions, not just the EPA estimates. I'm thinking for my needs I can prob just get the FWD version and the traction control may help in the few times I may go off on a dirt road or such. I've also been looking at a Honda CR-V, very similar in most respects but I've always been a Ford truck person and prefer something more truck-like than the Honda so I'm going with the FEH. Thanks in advance

The lifetime average on my 2008 is just under 30 MPG. I do have a lot of short trips in my normal drive cycle. The AWD system used by Ford in the FEH engages the rear wheels at every start, not just when the front wheels spin; so it actually does get less mileage. I expect that with the newest AWD (they have changed the electrical components) I could probably manage 31 or 32 in town, but that would be with not using the A/C when stopped.

EDIT: BTW I live in LA. I like having the AWD for the occasional trip to Yosemite, and for the rainy days.

The Honda CRV does not engage the rear wheels unless the front ones spin, so except for the weight there is no MPG penalty.

Edited by stevedebi

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I would go for the CR-V.

I have a 2006 FEH, and experienced a 'catastrophic engine failure' @ 37 months / 65,000 miles. The $7000 I spent on a remanufactured replacement engine more than made up for any savings in fuel costs. Ironically, the remanufactured engine has a better warranty than the factory original.

erk! an honda... keep your idea to purchase the escape... you get 1 chance in a million to have the same issue than him...

if you had and explorer, you'll find the crv to be a mini vehicle with no space at all.

erk! an honda... keep your idea to purchase the escape... you get 1 chance in a million to have the same issue than him...

Or probably 0 chance if you get your oil changes done at a Ford dealer. Mine charges about $30.

I'm in Southern California and had to look hard for a 4WD FEH. I've really enjoyed its capability for trail runs and also handling in all conditions. Even if it is 25% less efficient than a 2WD, it still has about the best MPG for a AWD vehicle on the road (Jeep Patriot/Compass is pretty close now though!).

There are no additional maintenance issues with a 4WD.

I suggest try driving both versions and see if you notice a difference.

With my 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid AWD, I get 24-34 mpg. The lower figure occurs during the winter, when the batteries are not warm. My best mileage occurs when the outside temperature is 55 deg. F. I really wish the Ford engineers would devise a way to keep the temperature of the batteries at the best temperature for efficiency.