2011 Explorer Poor Radio Reception

Obviously there are very few around, however I will take a shot.

The radio reception stinks. It is difficult to get any station clearly. I have been searching the web and nothing specific to the 2011 model, but it seems that this is a common Ford issue.

Thoughts?

Compare it to another one at the dealer. Sometimes the antenna wire on the radio isn't inserted all the way.

No but squeaks usually involve the serpentine belt and are easy to fix.

Especially if the squeak is intermittent instead of constant, like you hear it every other second then akirby is 100%, serpentine. Basically every SUV I've ever owned had this issue at some point, easy fix.

Radio reception, sometimes with an integrated antenna, you lose something. And did you get the DVD option? Sometimes if there is a wired or wireless FM transmitter competing for the station, it fuzzes it out...or is it all stations that have difficulty in comparison to other vehicles?

• 2 months later...

I noticed the same thing about radio reception in my test drives on two different vehicles at two different dealers. I was told by both that the vehicle wasn't prepped for delivery, so the antenna isn't hooked up. Was this a lie. I can't deal with the horrible reception we were getting. Any input would be appreciated.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At first we thought radio reception was bad in my 2011 EX LTD but then we notice the small antenna in the glove box. Attached it and the FM/AM came in fine. We now have the VG Shark Fin Antenna Mark II on top.

My Explorer's reception has always been good but, I prefer the look of the fin. Did the VG antenna noticeably improve the reception and how much did it cost?

Our '11 Ex Ltd has horrible Radio reception... my last car, a '09 Nissan Maxima had an integrated Antenna and got crystal clear reception across the spectrum here in Dallas. Now the Explorer has very static fill reception, and HD radio is a joke... goes in and out constantly. What can I check to make sure things are plugged in and together properly?

Thanks

I test drove a 2012 XLT Explorer today. I got out of my Ford 500 listening to one station which sounded perfect. When I turned it on in the explorer, the static was so bad I couldn't bear to listen. I wonder what the deal is. I plan on subscribing to Sirius so I'm not that upset. Just wanted to share the story.