Towing capacity for F150

bbob

Just a question about towing with a F150. I have a 2003 F150 5.4 litre and am debating about 2006 with the

4.6 instead. I noticed the towing capacity is greatly increased in the new 4.6 compared to the older

one (2003 and below) Is it necesary to go with a 5.4 litre or should I get a 4.6? The towing capacity seems to only be 300lbs difference. 6900 vs 7200. Let me Know!!!!

well if your worried about towing than I can tell you this, the 4.6L will dissapoint you.

when towing you want to look at torq and horsepower obviously, but also gear ratio and what truck style you want (regular cab, supercrew, etc.). where the 4.6 is still based on alot of older tech. the 5.4 is a whole new monster. it has charge motion control valves in the intake runners to speed up air velocity at low RPMs which means more low end power, it also has variable cam timing which gives you optimum performance at all RPMs depending on the load on the engine. all this adds up to 80% of your torq at a mere 1,000 RPMs!!!!

I personally own a 2004 F-150 FX4 SuperCrew 4X4 5.4L, I tow a 26 foot travel trailer with a Honda Forman fourwheeler in the bed, and this thing will pull just fine, granted your not going to break any speed records but you'll pull pretty much what ever you want.

oh yeah, I've never NEVER had a problem with this truck either not one single thing :yup: