Philadelphia Auto Show

156n3rd

When you set out to attend an auto show you expect to see new cars. You know, the cars that are really just out, just at the dealer and new on the street. I have to say that they quantity of Chevrolet's display was mind boggling. Mitsubish was absent, so? But let me tell you what I looked at.

The C-Max is so cool. It is a very well proportioned unit and seems very capable.

The new Focus hatch has very little cargo space, but was comfortable.

The Chevy Cruze is EXACTLY like the Cavalier and Cobalt. You must be way-agile to get in our out of the front seat. It's all squashed own low and narrow.

The Jeep Compass has the same problem as the Cruze to a degree, smallish inside. The Liberty has very poor rear seat acces for an adult. and front seat isn't much better.

The other Jeep like the Compass, name escapes me, was more squared off and much more comfy.

The Nissan Sentra sedan and ahtch were very good with loads of room and comfort.

My favorite was the Scion XB which could be a replacement for my PT cruiser. It feels very similar and has excellnt front vision and similar cargo space.

I did look at Hyundai and Kia and was saddned by some thing and happy about others.

The Optima was impressive inside. The dash layout and body have class. The Sonata's dahs looks like $$5.00 K-Mart ghetto blaster. It looks cheap. Surprise!

And there was no Elantra to get in to. There was one on a fenced-in display that was un-touchable. What a bone-head move.

All of the H and K smallish crossovers and SUV's were also disappointing. Too much of sameness for too much money.

Alternates: Suzuki SX wagon is still a favorite and holds up well design-wise.

The Elantra wagon, name escapes me, was cool. Nicely done, comfortable and useable.

Everything else was too big, too costly or too ugly.

I will probably replace my '02 PTC with another one anyway. It's all that suits me. If I were being new on my budget, Scion XB.

The NY show is like a zoo. You have to wait to get into or near any car. You also have to contend with people who have no manners and will just as soon walk on you thatn notcie you. Look, I'm native New Yorker and I will not put up with that nonsense. I forgot to mention the Nissan Juke. It's so small that you'd think it was a 1/4 scale Murano. It has paltry rear seat space and the cargo area is SMALL.