Order Process

st_OP38

If I was a dealer, I would make sure that all my order is a priority 10, no?

No. Every dealer gets a "turn" to have their order pulled. When a dealer's "turn" comes up, there will be a specific order he wants his order filled in.

For example, I have a Mustang on order. My priority is 15, the dealer already had an earlier order that's a 10. His stock orders are like a "30". If we were both 10s, when the dealer's "turn" came up, Ford might decide to build mine first, pissing off the other guy who put in his order before mine. For me, I'm not worried about a little longer wait, I don't want my car to get here until late April/early May when all the snow is gone.

• 1 month later...

No. Every dealer gets a "turn" to have their order pulled. When a dealer's "turn" comes up, there will be a specific order he wants his order filled in.

For example, I have a Mustang on order. My priority is 15, the dealer already had an earlier order that's a 10. His stock orders are like a "30". If we were both 10s, when the dealer's "turn" came up, Ford might decide to build mine first, pissing off the other guy who put in his order before mine. For me, I'm not worried about a little longer wait, I don't want my car to get here until late April/early May when all the snow is gone.

Is there a way to extract the priority out of the order number, or would you have to directly ask the dealer to get that info?

Is there a way to extract the priority out of the order number, or would you have to directly ask the dealer to get that info?

Ask the dealer for the VOC (Vehicle Order Confirmation) or the DORA (Dealer Order Receipt Acknowledgment). Both these documents will have the priority number listed. The DORA is the best document as it is the acknowledgment from Ford that they received your order and what your order consists of.

I like to see a method that the customer can find the status of their vehicle. After a VIN has been created, the customer can log on to a secure site with a unique PIN and track the projected build date, actual build date, ship date, arrival date to the holding lot and delivery date to the dealership. The assemblers, quality control, shippers and storage location workers scan the bar code each time something is done with the vehicle and it's transmitted either by wireless or by download, why can't some of that information be shared with the customer? I think it would build great loyalty and a stake in the building of their car.

I like to see a method that the customer can find the status of their vehicle. After a VIN has been created, the customer can log on to a secure site with a unique PIN and track the projected build date, actual build date, ship date, arrival date to the holding lot and delivery date to the dealership. The assemblers, quality control, shippers and storage location workers scan the bar code each time something is done with the vehicle and it's transmitted either by wireless or by download, why can't some of that information be shared with the customer? I think it would build great loyalty and a stake in the building of their car.

I agree, after all you are going to spend 30-40 grand on a vehicle, why is it so hard to let the buyers follow their orders.

It could be their way to try and keep the dealer communicating with the customer...

A lot of dealers don't want the customer to know because they either don't have allocation or they used an unfavorable priority or they changed the order.

I would prefer to allow the customer to order the vehicle directly from Ford and have it delivered to their local dealer where you complete the purchase. In that case tracking the order wouldn't have those issues (and you would bypass the dealer's allocation and priority scheduling) and you could do it via the web. Of course the dealers would never agree to that.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take this topic a step further, and made this suggestion to my dealer when I ordered (First time ever ordering a vehicle)

Secure website to check status. You should be notified of an account being "opened" for you via email. The dealer takes your email address and adds it right to the order.

Send you an email when status changes.

And what I would love... Set it up so that once or twice (or more) during the build process, snap a photo of the car automatically and send it off to me!

How cool would that be?

Having some sort of tracking system would certainly be welcome by anyone that has ordered a vehicle from the manufacturer. It could be as simple as the tracking system that the postal service uses, and you could enter your email address to sign up for any updates.

Right now it would even be nice to have an estimated build date for the Focus. The waiting is getting harder!!!

• 1 month later...

It really is sad that in a world where you can do almost anything online that you can't track the order status of your new vehicle. I have my VIN but I don't want to pester my dealer every week for an update. Why can't Ford put up a public site where you can enter your VIN and quickly find the status of your vehicle (ie: build date, ship date, general stats)? It's not like it's secret or proprietary information.