20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

For those like me with the optional polished aluminum 20" OEM wheels I was wondering what the best polish is to bring these wheels to a nice shine.

I tried Mother's Gold Aluminum Wheel polish and the Mothers Powerball polisher which worked OK but not super impressed.

What are others using?

For those like me with the optional polished aluminum 20" OEM wheels I was wondering what the best polish is to bring these wheels to a nice shine.

I tried Mother's Gold Aluminum Wheel polish and the Mothers Powerball polisher which worked OK but not super impressed.

What are others using?

I don't have mine yet, but my understanding is that the aluminum wheels are clearcoated like the car, so whatever you are using on the car should work on the wheels. That's what we're planning to try. You aren't actually polishing the aluminum,. but the clearcoat.

Edited by dallasdog

I don't have mine yet, but my understanding is that the aluminum wheels are clearcoated like the car, so whatever you are using on the car should work on the wheels. That's what we're planning to try. You aren't actually polishing the aluminum,. but the clearcoat.

So I shouldn't use the bathtub cleaner Ajax anymore?..........LOL just kidding

I dont think they are clear coated though......but you might be right.

It's kind of a dull finish so thats why I was looking to brighten it up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Try Meguiars Hot Rims Aluminum Wheel Cleaner... use it all the time and it should do the trick. It works on both polished and uncoated wheels.

I detail cars all the time. They are probably clear coated, and I would be shocked if they weren't. What ever you use on your paint, in terms of both polish and was/sealant, is your best bet, along with a generous amount of elbow grease. I, myself, am very partial to both Zaino and the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional series (do not mix and match - Xaino doesn't work well with non Zaino products). Get a new Mothers Powerball polisher (the one you have is now well contaminated with the Mothers wheel polish) and use that with either Zaino or Meguiar's, then step back and admire the results.

• Like 1

I detail cars all the time. They are probably clear coated, and I would be shocked if they weren't. What ever you use on your paint, in terms of both polish and was/sealant, is your best bet, along with a generous amount of elbow grease. I, myself, am very partial to both Zaino and the Meguiar's Mirror Glaze Professional series (do not mix and match - Xaino doesn't work well with non Zaino products). Get a new Mothers Powerball polisher (the one you have is now well contaminated with the Mothers wheel polish) and use that with either Zaino or Meguiar's, then step back and admire the results.

Is it also good for removing all the baked on brake dust on the inside of the rims?.........Im a little OCD so I take the rims off the vehicle to clean them once a year after winter is over.

Is it also good for removing all the baked on brake dust on the inside of the rims?.........Im a little OCD so I take the rims off the vehicle to clean them once a year after winter is over.

I had the same problem with baked on brake dust and still see it on vehicles that are driven hard. After I bought my first Ford Escape Hybrid in '05, I stopped having the problem. One reason was regenerative braking and the other was I stopped hitting the brakes so hard by timing the stoplights to get green as I went through them. When my wife took over driving my FEH, the dust started to show up for the first time. She changed from racing to the stoplights and hitting the brakes at the last minute and now my wheels stay clean again.

When I now see cars that have good looking rims on the back and black brake dust coated rims in the front, I know why. Take good care of your new Explorer and I'll bet it takes care of you.

I had the same problem with baked on brake dust and still see it on vehicles that are driven hard. After I bought my first Ford Escape Hybrid in '05, I stopped having the problem. One reason was regenerative braking and the other was I stopped hitting the brakes so hard by timing the stoplights to get green as I went through them. When my wife took over driving my FEH, the dust started to show up for the first time. She changed from racing to the stoplights and hitting the brakes at the last minute and now my wheels stay clean again.

When I now see cars that have good looking rims on the back and black brake dust coated rims in the front, I know why. Take good care of your new Explorer and I'll bet it takes care of you.

I took the front two wheels off today as it finally warmed up.

The inside of the rims were really dirty probably from shipping since the vehicle is two months old.

Cleaned them thoroughly and put on a coat of RejeX.......both the inside and the outside looks great.

Next sunny day it's the back two wheels.

Anyone know the torque spec for the wheel nuts?

• 2 weeks later...