Is BMW becoming too soft

Reigner92

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is BMW becoming too soft

• Yes
    • No

Interesting opinion and I'll agree for now. Not that I really care about BMW. They are very fine machines but I feel they are not all that. A fine benchmark to aspire for once upon a time. Now, why bother?

Edited by Hugh

BMW still makes some wonderful vehicles. Of course they have to expand into lower ends of the market. CAFE demands it.

Becoming more efficient is one thing and is something that probably every brand should do.

The question, however, is whether or not they're abandoning their roots as The Ultimate Driving Machine in favor of becoming just another cushy luxury brand a la Mercedes-Benz or *shudder* Lexus.

Becoming more efficient is one thing and is something that probably every brand should do.

The question, however, is whether or not they're abandoning their roots as The Ultimate Driving Machine in favor of becoming just another cushy luxury brand a la Mercedes-Benz or *shudder* Lexus.

If they are getting a little more cushy it's only because that's what the market is demanding. I would say they are still by far the most sporting of the larger luxury brands though.

I tend to agree in that BMW is trying be all things to all people. Thus, the name doesn't mean the same thing anymore even though some of their machines will satisfy any hardcore, enthusiast driver. Trouble is, over in next lane is a very vanilla BMW driven by a very nonenthusiast driver. The brand has definitely been watered down. BMW acts like they want to be a full line auto company offering every model under the sun in every price range.

In Europe, they basically are a full line auto company. Have been for some time, now.

Correct. BMW's 3 series was until the recession hit outselling the much cheaper Ford Mondeo. Now things are recovering I suspect it will become the best seller again.

In Europe we love our premium cars. From MINI to the Rolls Royce Phantom, BMW make the lot.