$500-$600 is for the OEM RETAIL headlight assembly, absolutely NO police lighting installed.

So if an Agency decides they don't want Fords factory upfitting that is going to be done in a building next door to the Chicago Assembly Plant the they take the risk of paying for a replacement.

The concern is drilling holes in the 2011 headlight assembly to install corner strobes/LED or any other type of lighting. These new headlight bodies have multiple layers, so drilling a 1" hole for the strobe/LED bulb is a little trickier then an older CVPI.

If your installers are good, they drill perfectly, they vacuum all debris from the housing, they guarantee the seal is 100% waterproof, then you have no concerns too worry about.

You will see the major players simply developer strobe bulbs that are no longer mounted inside the headlight assembly. Grill mounted are becoming standard or headliner mounting. Overcoming the need to have them mounted inside the headlight isn't a big deal.

I don't know the details of our equipment but each manufacturer may use specific cabling to the power supply. That could be an issue.

You will see the major players simply developer strobe bulbs that are no longer mounted inside the headlight assembly. Grill mounted are becoming standard or headliner mounting. Overcoming the need to have them mounted inside the headlight isn't a big deal.

I don't know the details of our equipment but each manufacturer may use specific cabling to the power supply. That could be an issue.

Still, it sounds like Ford are prepared to do the wiring before delivery and give warranty on it,

that has to be a consideration regardless of fitting external strobes and additional wiring.

It just depends how procurement see the issue, added expense Vs less fuss down stream?

Still, it sounds like Ford are prepared to do the wiring before delivery and give warranty on it,

that has to be a consideration regardless of fitting external strobes and additional wiring.

It just depends how procurement see the issue, added expense Vs less fuss down stream?

I can see having the strobe bulbs fitted. anything beyond that is done right at the dealer who has a very extensive ems dealership and service center. But as only one of two who can sell under our state's contract, the pricing is rock bottom and can not be played with in any way. Per hour charges and a discount off of the msrp is set.

I'm curious to see what the new 13 MY units will cost vs. the last 11MY we just bought.. It will have a lot to do with whgetsas the business for sedans. Right now the Explorer is ounormalal SV 4wd vehicle although the Escapes fit in nicely for admin use. Wish they had them when I got stuck with the Darango they got me.

I can see having the strobe bulbs fitted. anything beyond that is done right at the dealer who has a very extensive ems dealership and service center. But as only one of two who can sell under our state's contract, the pricing is rock bottom and can not be played with in any way. Per hour charges and a discount off of the msrp is set.

I'm curious to see what the new 13 MY units will cost vs. the last 11MY we just bought.. It will have a lot to do with whgetsas the business for sedans. Right now the Explorer is our normal SV 4wd vehicle although the Escapes fit in nicely for admin use. Wish they had them when I got stuck with the Darango they got me.

Those two parts of your post highlighted are key to whether Ford keeps a lot of police work or not,

at least they're in with a shot at the moment but sales pitch will only get you so far....

We are going to go with the Ford's because of the extensive prewiring and LED strobes being added to the headlight and taillight assemblies. Reliability and getting them on the road quicker, drove our decision.

Pre-wiring only goes so far. Our units came in with power cables to the roof for marked vehicles. But most of the equipment has proprietary cabling so FMC can only do so much at the factory level. Simply putting power points in the front and rear with the breakers and the access tunnel from the truck to the dash is a BIG plus. As was done with the mirror strobes by Federal, manufacturers can easily come up with a solution to strobes outside the headlight housing. If FMC was smart, they would build in an external "bulge" around the headlight assembly that could be used. Taillights aren't an issue and should be no more difficult than the older models.

One feature that hasn't been investigated is they steering wheel controls of the lighting/audio. How well will it integrate with the units already in the field?

• 4 weeks later...

Pre-wiring only goes so far. Our units came in with power cables to the roof for marked vehicles. But most of the equipment has proprietary cabling so FMC can only do so much at the factory level. Simply putting power points in the front and rear with the breakers and the access tunnel from the truck to the dash is a BIG plus. As was done with the mirror strobes by Federal, manufacturers can easily come up with a solution to strobes outside the headlight housing. If FMC was smart, they would build in an external "bulge" around the headlight assembly that could be used. Taillights aren't an issue and should be no more difficult than the older models.

One feature that hasn't been investigated is they steering wheel controls of the lighting/audio. How well will it integrate with the units already in the field?

Have you looked at the taillights it is tight in there. The taillights are LED, and need less clearance, thus not a lot of room. We just took one apart, so we know what we are talking about here. The wiring should be compatible with Whelen stuff, which is what Ford uses and is what we have. We are going away from Federal.

Have you looked at the taillights it is tight in there. The taillights are LED, and need less clearance, thus not a lot of room. We just took one apart, so we know what we are talking about here. The wiring should be compatible with Whelen stuff, which is what Ford uses and is what we have. We are going away from Federal.

We started mounting them on the rear deck. the led's are so small that the possible area to install have been enlarged somewhat. The only look I've had closeup of the new Taurus has been while waiting to pick up my Escape last year. Crawled around inside the truck area which I can say was seemingly large although it seemed to have a large drop. We won't be in the market for a while as we just took delivery of the departments last Crown Vic's a few weeks back.

My town has decided to start phasing the Interceptor in place of our fleet of CVPIs. Granted it's not a huge fleet, but I'm glad to see Ford is still getting our business. I hope Ford can keep most of the market share they currently have with the CVPI. Our police chief here is a Ford guy so I wasn't too surprised by his decision, I just hope others will make the same call.