Towing with the F150

Prairie Mule

My new truck should be here by weeks end and I have a question. Does the F150 electrical system come ready to tow? On my Silverados the fuses for the trailer brakes and camper battery feed were not installed at the factory. They came with the truck but were user installed. Does the F150 come ready to fly?

Thanks,

The Mule

Did you get either the Tow Package or Max Tow package? If so, it should be ready to go as far as the 7-pin harness that supplies power, triggers lights, and actuates the brakes, etc.

My new truck should be here by weeks end and I have a question. Does the F150 electrical system come ready to tow? On my Silverados the fuses for the trailer brakes and camper battery feed were not installed at the factory. They came with the truck but were user installed. Does the F150 come ready to fly?

Thanks,

The Mule

Thanks. Yes I ordered the Max Tow and then should be ready to go.

Yep, with max tow (the best option for towing) you get the brake controller built in, select shift tranny, huge side mirrors, 11,300lb capability and all wired ready to go . Have fun :shift:

Edited by Hydro

Yep, with max tow (the best option for towing) you get the brake controller built in, select shift tranny, huge side mirrors, 11,300lb capability and all wired ready to go . Have fun :shift:

Looking forward to it. My truck is at the dealer and am looking to pick it up on Friday. :happy feet:

Will try to post pictures next week.

Thanks,

The Mule

There is also a relay in the glovebox (in a plastic bag) that you need to install if you want 12V to go to your RV

I'm assuming there are instructions on where to install this relay :unsure:

I thought trailers were already wired to draw power off the 7 pin while towing? Not arguing, just asking. My Gearbox toyhauler always had fully juiced batterys after a long tow. The fridge wouldn't run (I always used propane when moving), but I think it's set up that way.

I'm assuming there are instructions on where to install this relay :unsure:

Mine was in the driver's door map pocket, for some reason. So don't panic if it's not in the glove box. Bag marked AL3T-15A416-AA. No instructions, but this is what to do:

Open the hood. On top of the radiator is a fuse box, really easy to get to. Install the relay into position 9 of the underhood fuse box. Install the fuse into position 21.

Edited by RPF

The relay is for the auxilliary battery circuit for the trailer - supposed to be for charging the breakaway battery and interior lights. You can pull the trailer and still have brakes without attaching the relay. Don't attach the relay until you plan on towing since it will energize the circuit and that seems to make the connector start to corrode much faster.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks,

The Mule

I don't know about the battery feed, but you can get a factory installed trailer break controller. Stroll around ford.com and build your F-150. You will learn a lot.

I don't know about the battery feed, but you can get a factory installed trailer break controller. Stroll around ford.com and build your F-150. You will learn a lot.

I did get the trailer brake controller but haven't yet tried it. Waiting for better weather so I can hook up the camper.

Got the truck and everything was crystal clear. Thanks for all your help. Oh and by the way, love the truck. :hyper:

Thanks to all of you for these questions and answers. I hope to have my F150 Platinum Ecoboost by the 2nd week in June and will have fewer suprises in store.

• 2 weeks later...

If Max tow wasn't ordered do you still get the 7 pin? I was trying to figure out what the Max tow package was and I am still not completely clear. Would someone mind explaining the difference in equipment? I know the max can tow 11,300 lbs, but that is about the extent of it.

Yes, you get the 7 and 4 pin without the max tow

max tow also gives you Super Engine Cooling/Auxiliary Transmission Cooler

Upgraded Rear Bumper w/class 4 Hitch (Bumper Mounted)

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/towing/

Edited by Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Got my F150 Platinum in last week. My Son-in-Law hooked the Travel Trailer up to his new F150 that he has had for about 3 weeks and couldn't get power to the trailer battery. Because of this thread I could show him were to find the relay and breaker and where to plug them in. We did his and mine the same day and everything is working great.

• 3 weeks later...

Got my F150 Platinum in last week. My Son-in-Law hooked the Travel Trailer up to his new F150 that he has had for about 3 weeks and couldn't get power to the trailer battery. Because of this thread I could show him were to find the relay and breaker and where to plug them in. We did his and mine the same day and everything is working great.

On my 2011 F-150 with tow pakage and brake controller the fuse in position #21 (TT battery charge relay power) in the POWER DISTRIBUTION BOX (under the hood fuse box) was already installed at the dealer or the factory? I have spent much time in the AIRSTREAM TRAILER forums listening to the pros and cons of braking systems. I now feel like Fords factory tailer brake is the best in the business. This forum brought to my attention the fuse position. Even after reading the owners manual this forum gives me insight.

Edited by Dhoss50

On my 2011 F-150 with tow pakage and brake controller the fuse in position #21 (TT battery charge relay power) in the POWER DISTRIBUTION BOX (under the hood fuse box) was already installed at the dealer or the factory? I have spent much time in the AIRSTREAM TRAILER forums listening to the pros and cons of braking systems. I now feel like Fords factory tailer brake is the best in the business. This forum brought to my attention the fuse position. Even after reading the owners manual this forum gives me insight.

Pulling a large trailer for many years now, (currently 36 foot Jayco Eagle) I would never be without a trailer brake controller. I have not taken delivery yet of my 11 King Ranch Screw with EB, but have read mostly good things about the integrated brake controller. Does anyone know who makes it for Ford? I use a Prodigy Proportional controller on my 04 Lariat and really like the way it works.

Pulling a large trailer for many years now, (currently 36 foot Jayco Eagle) I would never be without a trailer brake controller. I have not taken delivery yet of my 11 King Ranch Screw with EB, but have read mostly good things about the integrated brake controller. Does anyone know who makes it for Ford? I use a Prodigy Proportional controller on my 04 Lariat and really like the way it works.

The thing that separates the Ford Trailer brake controll from the aftermaket is the integration it has with the truck computer. So you get all the sway control, brakeing control, anti lock control in the trailer brakes that is designed into the pickkup as if they are ONE unit. The truck electronics only knows its activated and thinks if the trailer is doing something unstable the truck AND the trailer brakes work as ONE unit to get things under control. The aftermarket units can't do this. ITs an outstanding unit that others I have talked to swear by. As to whom its made by I would not be concerned as its an intregrated system with the truck computers. Its just an extension of whats already there.