2012 predictions - 3.7L w/leather?

akirby

I'll be buying a 2wd supercrew within the next 10 months or so. I definitely want black leather and I like the FX2 package but I don't really need the 5.0 or 3.5EB - but the FX2 isn't available with the 3.7L V6 (I won't be towing or hauling anything big). I also looked at the XLT w/3.7L but it's not available with leather or even black cloth (outside of one option package).

So here's my question - knowing Ford's past history with the F150 is it likely that we'll see a black leather option on the XLT or a 3.7L option on the FX2 for 2012? I know they tend to restrict options when a new model arrives but I haven't followed the F150 very closely the last few years. Obviously I'll be waiting to find out either way but was curious what to expect.

I'll be buying a 2wd supercrew within the next 10 months or so. I definitely want black leather and I like the FX2 package but I don't really need the 5.0 or 3.5EB - but the FX2 isn't available with the 3.7L V6 (I won't be towing or hauling anything big). I also looked at the XLT w/3.7L but it's not available with leather or even black cloth (outside of one option package).

So here's my question - knowing Ford's past history with the F150 is it likely that we'll see a black leather option on the XLT or a 3.7L option on the FX2 for 2012? I know they tend to restrict options when a new model arrives but I haven't followed the F150 very closely the last few years. Obviously I'll be waiting to find out either way but was curious what to expect.

I seriously doubt it, though I think the 3.7L would be great in the FX2.

FYI, you can get good, quality, leather seats online for < $1k if you wanted to go that route. Had I kept my XLT F150 longer, I was going to add some. Of course, then you don't have the other niceties of the FX2. I say just get the EB. :)

Black interiors, as far back as I can remember, has been reserved for Lariat and higher models. FX models have always had a "premium" engine.

I don't see either happening.

I seriously doubt it, though I think the 3.7L would be great in the FX2.

FYI, you can get good, quality, leather seats online for < $1k if you wanted to go that route. Had I kept my XLT F150 longer, I was going to add some. Of course, then you don't have the other niceties of the FX2. I say just get the EB. :)

Remember the F-150 seats have side airbags, so if you change seat covers it needs to work with the bags

Good point...my '05 didn't have them so it didn't matter to me, but yes, that would be important on the later models.

It's not just the seats - it's the entire interior. Both of my Rangers had light grey cloth interiors and I just don't want to go there again.

The 5.0 and EB 3.5 are fine so I'll probably stick with the FX2.

It's not just the seats - it's the entire interior. Both of my Rangers had light grey cloth interiors and I just don't want to go there again.

The 5.0 and EB 3.5 are fine so I'll probably stick with the FX2.

I fully understand. I have stepped up to the Lariat with my Super Duty, and don't plan to go back to XLT again unless I have no choice...the interior all around is just so much nicer.

When you step back and look at it the Auto Culture isn't much different than other cultures...ie..they have a very hard time really changing. If the Auto manufacturers want to make engines that are smaller and get good mileage they need to make it possible to get things like bucket seats, leather, what ever radio, box length, etc available in all levels. They can always just make a super premium lleatther woohoo for the "platinum" level, but by limiting what you can get they force a lot of people into the big engines...which they don't need and it just hurts Ford with the EPA. I am not saying have hundreds of different optons like they used to, as I see that for the problem that it was, but they force people into configurations that are not as green. But when you make a regular six banger as nice as Ford has you should help encourage things a bit....I think.

When you step back and look at it the Auto Culture isn't much different than other cultures...ie..they have a very hard time really changing. If the Auto manufacturers want to make engines that are smaller and get good mileage they need to make it possible to get things like bucket seats, leather, what ever radio, box length, etc available in all levels. They can always just make a super premium lleatther woohoo for the "platinum" level, but by limiting what you can get they force a lot of people into the big engines...which they don't need and it just hurts Ford with the EPA. I am not saying have hundreds of different optons like they used to, as I see that for the problem that it was, but they force people into configurations that are not as green. But when you make a regular six banger as nice as Ford has you should help encourage things a bit....I think.

Good point. Look at the Fusion; you can get the Luxury Package AND the 2.5 4cyl. Very smart of Ford to do that. Almost makes a hybrid sensless..... ALMOST.

Good point. Look at the Fusion; you can get the Luxury Package AND the 2.5 4cyl. Very smart of Ford to do that. Almost makes a hybrid sensless..... ALMOST.

But Re Fusion I can't get a 6MT with anything but steel wheels.... (At least not in Canada) :(

• 2 months later...