Just The Facts: Midsize Sedan Race

Selling every one you can build with minimal incentives? What a problem to have! :shades:

Same reason the Falcon is 'dying slowly' here in Aus! :confused: Seriously, if I had a dollar for every GM fan that goes on saying that more sales instantly = more profit...

Interesting result if you combine the Hyundai and Kia results: You have a new number one (well close,,) :) since they are essentially the same car. I'll bet that fact isn't lost on any of the other carmakers.

Edited by fxcomet

Interesting result if you combine the Hyundai and Kia results: You have a new number one (well close,,) :) since they are essentially the same car. I'll bet that fact isn't lost on any of the other carmakers.

"essentially the same car"

Huh?

2011sonata000opt-1266438897.jpg

2011-kia-optima_460x0w.jpg

What he was getting at was the fact that the new Sonata and Optima share the same platform and powertrains. So while they do look different they share many of their components.

Exactly. See: Dodge Avenger/Chrysler 200 and Dodge Charger/Chrysler 300. And, while they both existed, Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan.

What he was getting at was the fact that the new Sonata and Optima share the same platform and powertrains. So while they do look different they share many of their components.

I know, but does that mean we can combine sales numbers and claim victory?

It's not unlike the GM foamers who add Traverse, Acadia, and Enclave sales, or Silverado/Sierra sales to say how bad they beat up "so-and-so" manufacturer.

Hell, look at Taurus, MKS, Explorer, MKT, and Flex sales added up! They share platforms and powertrains. We're setting the world on fire! :hysterical:

28,271 combined ? The Camry and Accord are over 30,000.

I know, but does that mean we can combine sales numbers and claim victory?

It's not unlike the GM foamers who add Traverse, Acadia, and Enclave sales, or Silverado/Sierra sales to say how bad they beat up "so-and-so" manufacturer.

Hell, look at Taurus, MKS, Explorer, MKT, and Flex sales added up! They share platforms and powertrains. We're setting the world on fire! :hysterical:

I think he was merely mentioning the notion that as a company Hyundai/Kia are doing really well in the midsize sedan sector and that Ford, GM, Toyota, etc as companies are probably taking notice. I fully acknowledge that the two sedans should have their sales counted separately but taken together they do represent a threat and are encroaching on the perennial leaders in the midsize sedan sector. Like I said I am not suggesting that they should combine their numbers much in the same way I don't call for GM combining the lambda triplets either but from a purely business perspective a manufacturer would certainly be taking notice of said sales numbers, to think otherwise would be purposely ignoring the basic fact that while they sell under different brands, they are essentially the same product in the same market.