MyFordTouch Problems in 2012 Focus

jllewis

Wow, I apparently didn't pay close attention to the manual the TWO TIMES I read it, or all the playing with MFT I've done, because I totally missed all those Sirius Travel Link functions. All I thought it was were the warnings I get in nav for construction and accidents. I'll have to see if I can find the Travel Link menu you mention, mrgdr57. Doh!

Wow, I apparently didn't pay close attention to the manual the TWO TIMES I read it, or all the playing with MFT I've done, because I totally missed all those Sirius Travel Link functions. All I thought it was were the warnings I get in nav for construction and accidents. I'll have to see if I can find the Travel Link menu you mention, mrgdr57. Doh!

Press the i next to the Home icon, then select the Sirius Travel Link button - second from the top on the left, under the SYNC button. It's crazy-cool when everything is working correctly.

Edited by mrgdr57

Press the i next to the Home icon, then select the Sirius Travel Link button - second from the top on the left, under the SYNC button. It's crazy-cool when everything is working correctly.

I had a chance to check it out. I do remember reading about it. I think I glossed over it, thinking I would play with it later after learning the more basic functions, and I wasn't sure it was something I would use. It is pretty cool, though. Thanks again.

An Edge owner has figured out how to force a reboot using the usb drive rather than pulling fuses. You install it like any other update, only takes 10 seconds, turn the car off and back on and it reboots.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/8278-forcing-a-reboot/page__pid__66036#entry66036

This is a good solution, but I don't have an account on that system, so it won't let me download the zip file. Anyone have an account on the fordedgeforum.com site so you can download the zip file and post it here? I would love to have it, but I don't feel like creating a forum account I will never use again.

This is a good solution, but I don't have an account on that system, so it won't let me download the zip file. Anyone have an account on the fordedgeforum.com site so you can download the zip file and post it here? I would love to have it, but I don't feel like creating a forum account I will never use again.

Lucky for you I know the moderator (great guy). But it won't let me post a .zip file to this board. Maybe Nick can do it. Or just create an account - it's easy.

Update: If you get into a "black screen of death" situation with MFT, pull fuse 67 (this fuse panel is behind a foam panel under the glove box), wait 60 seconds and replace the fuse. This will restore MFT functionality without wiping your trip/fuel econ/ DTE info the way a negative battery terminal disconnect will. The fuse 67 method will also prevent you having to reset your one-touch window feature, audio balance/tone and speed compensated volume settings.

Edited by mrgdr57

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone having problems with Sirius Travel Link? I am verified as fully subscribed to all services and up until recently - post battery disconnect to reset MFT? - I had no problems with real time updates for traffic, weather, sports, fuel prices, etc. Currently, I get traffic conditions and nothing else. No weather, no fuel prices etc. On the main Travel Link menu all features other than the two traffic functions have hourglasses next to them. Sirius says check with Ford. <sigh>

Wow. The swings between aggravation and amusement are mounting. Since the post above I've forced a couple of re-boots (with no apparent impact to service), had a black screen of death and a "scheduled" maintenance event while driving, all with no immediate effect on my complaints.

A couple of days ago however, weather service resumed on STL and the five-day forecast suddenly reappeared. Then with each passing day it became a four-day forecast, then three days. Uh-oh. This morning my BlackBerry didn't connect at start up - but the five-day forecast was back! At lunch time, BlackBerry connected. Coming home, no phone connection again - however, all real time STL services were progressively restored during my drive - they're all working now. WTF? I'd be pleased, but I've come to expect that everyday is a MFT crap shoot so there's no point in celebrating.

My MFT problems have been relatively insignificant compared to some owners (lucky me, seriously) and I'm OK with waiting for a guaranteed fix even though it may take another six or eight months. In the meantime I think I'll avoid any stop-gap, dealer installed MFT updates for fear of making things worse.

It really seems like its a roll of the dice each time you start the car.

Sometimes it will come up roses, sometimes decidedly not.

I've noticed if it starts working right away, it'll be good my whole drive.. if it's gonna give me problems its right away.

Lately.. new issues:

1. Phone pairs, connects, I dial out w/ SNYC, but audio will not come out of car speakers. Only out of the phone. Very weird. One time restarting the phone fixed it, one time restarting the car fixed it.

2. I make a call with SYNC while listening to the radio, when the call ends, it has changed my station to something random, not a preset.

3. Randomly while driving the car will prompt me to do a Vehicle Health Report.. for no reason that I can see..

Who knows.

Still having issues with the USB stick reindexing/rebuilding media files every so often.. but I suppose it's better than it was before the update.

...Still having issues with the USB stick reindexing/rebuilding media files every so often.. but I suppose it's better than it was before the update.

I recently stopped using a 16 gig finger drive to store and access 795 songs, to an 8 gig iPod nano and I have seen a 180 degree improvement in the way my system operates. With the finger drive plugged in, sometimes it would recognize all 795 songs, sometimes only 300 + or - and most often only 61 songs. I was getting slow responses, the system maintenance screen, an occasional black screen and sometimes my phone would not connect. Since I put that music on the nano, the system has been flawless. My phone connects instantly, the indexing of my two iPods takes only a second or two and I've had no unwanted screens. I'm by no means knowledgeable on electronics, computers and high tech devices, but my thought is, the finger drive is an unsupported and non formatted device and the MFT system needs to read information from a formatted and supported device or it doesn't know what to do with the info it's reading, thus the system goes haywire. I believe this is the case with my system, why else would it be working as designed now that I have changed the usb device? It still takes some time to build media commands and I'm not sure what that means. I thought it was loading the commands for voice recognition or the steering touch pad, but both work fine when it reads Building Media Commands in the lower left corner. Other owners systems may have more complex and not as easily solved software issues, but if you are having problems and are using a finger drive, try what I did, it worked for me and I'm now very pleased with the MFT in my car.

Edited by transitman

Hmmm. I have a Zune HD 16gig that I used to use in my Ford Fusion with basic SYNC and it worked fine.. maybe I'll go back to that and see how it works.

I liked the simplicity of a USB stick, but maybe there is something to it with all the issues.. I'll give it a try! Thanks!

I just got my focus on Thursday and planned on just leaving an SD card in the car. Unfortunately I've found that everything works fine except that it won't play any playlists. It will accept the commands and then it will play nothing. All other commands work fine. I used doubletwist to sync my itunes playlists to the card. I guess it could be doubletwists fault but I assume it is a problem with MFT. Playlists work fine off my iphone 4 but I'm looking for something I can just leave connected all the time. I'm now considering just buying a used nano to leave in the car,

Try going to www.syncmyride.com and checking the sync my tunes section. I believe it will arrange your songs, playlists, artists etc and clean up any issues that may affect the system. I've never had to check it out because my two devices seem clean and SYNC recognizes all my music. There's more discussion on the topic at www.focusfanatics.com

Edited by transitman

• 3 weeks later...

Faster, Simpler, Easier to Use: MyFord Touch Upgrade Provides Customers with Enhanced Driving Experience

• Ford will launch performance upgrades and new features for MyFord Touch® beginning with 2013 models – no-charge upgrade will be available to existing owners
  • Simpler graphics, faster touch-screen response and easier-to-use controls are among the many enhancements to the voice-activated in-car connectivity system

Autoblog 2013 MFT article and press release

Here has been my experience: When I bought my 2012 Focus w/ MFT I found it to be incredibly buggy and inconsistently crashing. One thing I found was that most of my issues seemed to be coming from the BT Audio streaming.

Over summer, I too, my trusty iPhone 3GS swimming with me. Needless to say, it was time for an upgrade. I chose to go with a WP7 phone with the mindset of, "hey, it's Microsoft... it will work great with the MFT." Unfortunately, that was not the case. The only function it did pick up was the BT passing my text messages to the MFT. Something that shockingly did not work? Connecting the phone to MFT via USB directly. I got a message saying, "not a recognized USB device." For many, other reasons, I ended up returning the Windows phone and now I'm quite happy with the new iPhone 4S.

One thing I have found that really seems to help with stability is, when I'm running streaming BT audio, I pause/stop the stream when I have arrived at my destination, before turning the key to the off position. I find that it more consistently recognizes the phone as a BT device than just turning it off like normal.

Incidentally, I ran across this article today, indicating that Ford will be sending flash drives to its MFT customers to upgrade their systems.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/07/ford-myford-touch-upgrade_n_1079419.html